Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2016, 08:36   #31
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Does this all change when we leave the EU?

rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 09:12   #32
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Does this all change when we leave the EU?

I've been waiting for that one

The regs will reference some UK Act or legislation so even when we leave until the UK legislation is changed all will probably remain the same for some considerable time.

Octagonally yours,

Last edited by maxi_crawf; 11th August 2016 at 09:18..
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 10:24   #33
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
I've been waiting for that one

The regs will reference some UK Act or legislation so even when we leave until the UK legislation is changed all will probably remain the same for some considerable time.

Octagonally yours,
Remember that Xenon HID lights, LED headlamps are illegal in the UK under construction and use regs.

Only through the acceptance of EU legislation (overriding UK version) are they allowed.

So the law will have to change to allow these.

As someone said earlier, some cars manage to miss the self levelling and headlamp washers.

Peugeot 308 has LED headlamps, but no headlamp washers.

http://www.carblogger.nl/wp-content/...-308-sw-05.jpg

Citroen DS3 has Xenon / LED combo and, I believe, has manual adjusters and again no headlamp cleaning.

http://www.largus.fr/images/images/ds3-2015-2.jpg

Maybe French je ne sais quoi?

Last edited by first-things-first; 12th August 2016 at 10:14.. Reason: Clarification
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 10:47   #34
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Default Xenon lights, their fitting and the legalities thereof

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Christ... debates get silly.

At the end of the day who gives a sh!t?

Well it appears the OP does,
and he asked for the facts. And seeing as the facts are all contained in the link kindly provided by Monty in post 6, I see no need for further discussion, unless that is, you dispute the opinion of the DOT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Polly; 11th August 2016 at 10:50..
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 12:55   #35
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
and he asked for the facts. And seeing as the facts are all contained in the link kindly provided by Monty in post 6, I see no need for further discussion, unless that is, you dispute the opinion of the DOT.

Unfortunately many new cars don't have self leveling lights or suspension let alone washers so this in itself is incorrect.

Hence so long as HID lights are fitted correctly and not just a bulb change then you are not breaking the law.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 13:25   #36
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
Unfortunately many new cars don't have self leveling lights or suspension let alone washers so this in itself is incorrect.

Hence so long as HID lights are fitted correctly and not just a bulb change then you are not breaking the law.
They are either imported (where it gets a bit complicated) (e.g. EVO X) or have a light level output below 2,000 (?) lumens.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 17:53   #37
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
They are either imported (where it gets a bit complicated) (e.g. EVO X) or have a light level output below 2,000 (?) lumens.

In other words, cars a built according to the requirements of the market into which they are initially sold.
However that does not automatically make them legal in UK, unless that country was a member of the ECE.
The DOT leaflet is quite clear, if retro fitted, they must comply with ECE regulation that allows them to be fitted. So as you have just pointed out, there are perhaps alternative regulations that could be adopted, but you must fully comply which ever regulation you choose.
This perhaps also explains why the MOT is rather laxed here, because it suddenly becomes more difficult for the tester to apply the correct standard.
I don't believe for a minute that anyone is going to have to appear in court for fitting xenon's, but they should be aware that it might affect their insurance, and no insurance company is going to accept something that doesn't comply with the law. This attitude that it's your car, so you can do what you like with it just isn't acceptable.
Hastings insurance recently published a list of the top 5 modifications they wanted to be told about, and believe it or not, a respray was quite high up in that list.

Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 19:46   #38
Steve42
I really should get out more.......

mg 190+

Hastings insurance recently published a list of the top 5 modifications they wanted to be told about, and believe it or not, a respray was quite high up in that list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I find that Hastings are becoming a pain in the rear when it comes to modifications .
have just bought a v6 to replace my v6.
called Hasting up to swop over the insurance .
the new v6 has mud flaps . wanted to know if they was on from new.
if not its a modification and I would need to tell them when I find out.
told me as it was not on the car when new it would be classed as a mod .
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 05:10   #39
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Remember that Xenon HID lights, LED headlamps are illegal in the UK under construction and use regs.

Only through the acceptance of EU legislation (overriding UK version) are they allowed.

So the law will have to change to allow these.

As someone said earlier, some cars manage to miss the self levelling and headlamp washers.

Peugeot 308 has LED headlamps, but no headlamp washers.

http://www.carblogger.nl/wp-content/...-308-sw-05.jpg

Citroen DS5 has Xenon / LED combo and, I believe, has manual adjusters and again no headlamp cleaning.

http://www.largus.fr/images/images/ds3-2015-2.jpg

Maybe French je ne sais quoi?
Not just cars; all of our new buses have LED headlamps with no 'lamp washers. Perhaps it's something to do with light output. Not sure, I'll do some research and get back to you.

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 06:02   #40
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post

Granted he did yes... but im sure he didnt ask for a swinging match.

I think some folk need to take a step back and relax a little, there are thousands of drivers on these roads that will lie and cheat about things far far worse than a headlight upgrade, not saying its right but i think in the grand scheme of things its not really a problem.

As long as it passes MOT and you dont get into trouble with the law then i think you can relax.
There is quite a few cars that come with xenons and no levelers, hell some even come without projectors.
My accord for example has xenons with auto levelers but its in a normal glass light.
I've had more issues with that because it looks like i've just thrown a HID kit in then i've ever had with cars and projectors.
Most police/insurance companies wont care about factory fit items, its the big exhaust, lowered suspension, air intake that they care about... things they can see.
I've never had issues... Take my ZT for example it was a base spec car before it had all the extras added.
Its now insured as a SE, as after speaking to the lovely man on the phone he basically told me that any factory retrofits are just a way to increase the price, they say "it makes it more desirable to steal" so can hike the price but in reality it makes no difference.
Mr Thief isnt going to peak inside and go well its got no dimming mirror i wont be going for a joy ride in that!

Anyway im out my insurance is all above board, my premium for the ZT is £244 and the RS is £386.
I have declared modifications that affect the cars performance/handling like my exhaust, filter, springs, brake kit.
And im confident i'll never have any issues.

Thanks

Last edited by TomRS; 12th August 2016 at 06:10..
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote