Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th July 2016, 11:04   #11
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Just some feedback on the use of this solenoid.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2221343661...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I fitted it some time ago, with the 200ps tune ECM fitted and found that the boost pressure between 2 and 3 thousand revs to be lower (approx. 4psi) than the standard factory fit boost solenoid, ie less torque available, however no stuttering was ever encountered when on full throttle at high load/revs 12-14psi was noted on the gauge. There is also some chattering noise on initial throttle opening from the exhaust port of the solenoid, which I tried to disguise with a length of hose. I could have perhaps plumbed it into the inlet manifold as per standard and the noise may have gone away. However I fitted it discreetly so it looked as though the standard solenoid was still in place hence I did not use the inlet tapping.

Have now refitted the standard factory fit solenoid and have a better response at lower revs (6-7psi). In fact I have gone back to the 160ps tune ECM and am going to settle on that for the moment. Car revs freely (steady 8-9psi) and there is no form of hesitation.

What's the moral to this little story? Hang on to your money as the quest for more BHP is not always the best route to go down. I have the standard factory fit hoses and solenoid now and it still runs great with no hesitation.
Might it have been worth trying a new OE solenoid before returning to standard tune? Always useful as a spare anyway.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 13:10   #12
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Might it have been worth trying a new OE solenoid before returning to standard tune? Always useful as a spare anyway.
The recently new standard solenoid developed or has occasional stuttering issues with the 200ps tune ECM. With the 160ps ECM fitted the same solenoid is working nicely with absolutely no stutter at all.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 14:16   #13
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Tried a different MAP sensor? thats what the ECU relies on to read the boost if thats dying at high boost that'll give you your stutter.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 23:22   #14
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
The recently new standard solenoid developed or has occasional stuttering issues with the 200ps tune ECM. With the 160ps ECM fitted the same solenoid is working nicely with absolutely no stutter at all.
Has to be something other than the solenoid,there are many cars running the new tune without issue using the OE valve.As previously stated check plug gap if not already done.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 07:39   #15
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I had the k maps tune and all original parts, it worked fine.

I had plugs gapped at 1mm, original boost solenoid, new leads and coil packs and new vacuum hoses. All genuine parts.

I did find that the boost solenoid failed quickly and I ended up using three of them in two years.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 03:20   #16
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

worth checking the wastegate is functional too - not stuck

Paul...
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 20:13   #17
arodriguez
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8T SE

I had terrible misfire on full throttle with both the standard and 'MAC' solenoid valves. I was convinced it was an over-boost issue as it was so violent. I decided to get Mark at Kmaps to look at it and check the manifold pressures. He confirmed it was an ignition issue as it was occurring well below the ECU overboost threshold and went away when the solenoid was disconnected - i.e. wastegate always fully open so minimal boost.

I re-gapped the plugs to 0.5mm as suggested and as also well documented on the forum. Problem disappeared - it was like night and day!! I never would have believed re-gapping from 0.7mm down to 0.5mm would make such a difference. Car now runs like a dream..
Old 9th November 2016, 14:45   #18
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

well mine has also started running with a bit of a mis (between 2400 and 2800rpm), and never having driven it as a 160 I was a bit stumped.

I've gaped the plugs down to 0.5mm and it's a different car, no miss and it really flies.

How ever the downside is that at tick over it's really hunting, so I'm going to gap them up to 0.6mm and see if that helps
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016, 15:15   #19
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Well gaped to 0.6mm and ticks over lovely. Just need to take it out for a run and see how it behaves
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 21:32   #20
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Just some feedback on the use of this solenoid.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2221343661...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I fitted it some time ago, with the 200ps tune ECM fitted and found that the boost pressure between 2 and 3 thousand revs to be lower (approx. 4psi) than the standard factory fit boost solenoid, ie less torque available, however no stuttering was ever encountered when on full throttle at high load/revs 12-14psi was noted on the gauge. There is also some chattering noise on initial throttle opening from the exhaust port of the solenoid, which I tried to disguise with a length of hose. I could have perhaps plumbed it into the inlet manifold as per standard and the noise may have gone away. However I fitted it discreetly so it looked as though the standard solenoid was still in place hence I did not use the inlet tapping.

Have now refitted the standard factory fit solenoid and have a better response at lower revs (6-7psi). In fact I have gone back to the 160ps tune ECM and am going to settle on that for the moment. Car revs freely (steady 8-9psi) and there is no form of hesitation.

What's the moral to this little story? Hang on to your money as the quest for more BHP is not always the best route to go down. I have the standard factory fit hoses and solenoid now and it still runs great with no hesitation.

where do you get your boost pressure readings from?

I've fitted a VVC Inlet Manifold - and Connected a Boost Gauge to the Manifold - my standard tune 75 1.8t gives readings for Boost at 6-7psi (lower gears/revs) Building to around 9-10psi - depending how/where full throttle is applied, boost will build to and hold 12psi - esp, cruising in 4th 5th and and flooring it. I've maxed out at 15psi - with no fuel cut - and no issues of overboost

I'm running a recently replaced OEM spec Pierburg Solenoid - the last one lasted a year

after doing the Manifold swap i developed a slight misfire - confirmed(to me ) by the Boost Gauge as "Misfire" and not "overboost" - regapped plugs from around 0.80 - 0.60 and no issues with any misfire on full throttle since

I've even thought of fitting a manual Boost Control inplace of the Solenoid ?

turn Boost up to a constant 15psi max before any release ?

would the ECU not "learn" and adjust fuelling etc for the change ?

"Homebrew" Re-map ?

Paul.

Last edited by Sheraton; 24th December 2016 at 21:38..
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote