Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th May 2016, 21:04   #11
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Depends on what you are loading it with, the general consensus is that the heaviest of items need to be over the axle, with the rest being distributed evenly front and back. When we go away, the heaviest things are the porch awnings, the clothes we take hang in the wardrobe, which is above the axle anyway, and no matter how I load it, the towbar is still low, even with the 'van empty.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:33   #12
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I didn't want to alter the ride on my car either, that's why I fitted MAD Assister springs and Grayston Spring Assistors
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 14:48   #13
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezza View Post
well after some research i found my caravan nose weight to be 100kg unladen
i wanted to beef up the springs but don't want to alter the geometry of the car
so if i spread the load when fully laden should drop the nose weight and higher the back end.
What do you reckon??
Have you checked what Billy1Mate asks? - simple point but I too have met people that only screwed the wheel up and not lifted the whole assembly up and out of the way.

Also the 100g nose weight figure - presumably that is from something you have read/researched?

Why not do a simple check of what your actual nose weight is? To do this with reasonable accuracy (tho better to get a proper nose wt gauge -
http://www.towsure.com/camping-carav...eweight-gauges )

Take your bathroom scales and cut a piece of 2x1 (or similar) wood to be the tow ball height less the thickness of your bathroom scales.

Put the scales under the caravan tow hitch and fit the top of the bit of wood up into the tow hitch and have the bottom of the wood resting on the scales.

Gently wind up the Jockey wheel until it is well clear of the ground.

Read off the scales what your actual nose weight is.

This method obviously depends on the accuracy at the bottom end range of the scales - hence better to get a proper gauge. But it will give you an indication of what you are actually dealing with.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 16:35   #14
Chezza
Avid contributor

75 cdti se tourer

After removing everything from the van and weighing it all and then Doing some maths I can get the nose weight to 75 kg on the proper gauge. Most items are under the fixed bed and only 1 gas bottle up front with is a 7kg nearly empty.
Went to Sherwood forest and the car still grounded speed humps and seems low.
Chezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 18:04   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
This method obviously depends on the accuracy at the bottom end range of the scales - hence better to get a proper gauge. But it will give you an indication of what you are actually dealing with.
It is not the bottom end of the range of a pair of bathroom scales 70 to 100kg is in the normal range of a person. Bathroom scales are usually a far more accurate method than a noseweight gauge. I use 75kg as my noseweight and calibrated that as a reference, using my bathroom scales.

I use a length of wood between hitch and scales, of a length which matches the height when coupled up. 75Kg is about the limit for an normal adult male to be able to lift with a struggle.

I must say I have never had a problem with my 75 for towing, though it is a saloon. The back end barely moves down, when I hook the van on.

I use a method of adjusting the noseweight once, accurately, by moving things around, I then subsequently, just make sure I load the movable weighty items in the same places every time. The rule is heavy things as low as possible and as near as possible to the axle - for best stability. I make a point of making sure there is nothing heavy in any of the roof level cupboards, before setting off. My o/s is heavier than my n/s of my van due to cooker+ fridge + water heater + table, just the heating system on the n/s - so the heavy items fit on the n/s of the isle in the van so as to help balance it.

Move things a little forward of the axle to increase noseweight, a little to the rear to decrease.

My vans unladen noseweight used to be a bit higher than I would like, but I got it down using BP light type plastic gas bottles. 100kg is the maximum for the 75.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 25th May 2016 at 18:11..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 19:56   #16
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Ever considered removing the jockey and putting it in the boot? Should give you a few inches of extra ground clearance.
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 00:06   #17
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I found that my Coachman sat low at the tow bar when hitched onto the diesel 75 with the standard Witter detachable.

I've since refitted the tow bar onto my V6 using a Witter Quantum detachable and this system means the tow ball is approx 25mm higher.

The result means the caravan now sits on a more level plane.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 13:17   #18
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Specification for Tourer trailer nose weight is 100Kg MAX.

I have MGR detachable hitch and that seems to be the correct height.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 17:44   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Specification for Tourer trailer nose weight is 100Kg MAX.

I have MGR detachable hitch and that seems to be the correct height.
Caravans are supposed to tow nose down a bit. Nose up or close to level is quite an unstable way to tow. There is a range of acceptable height for two ball centres and from memory mine is close to the top of that range. I use a fixed ball, a personal thing, but I don't entirely trust detachables. I replaced the standard ball, with an pukka Alko one, that has a slightly taller neck which increases the height slightly.

I have never felt the need to remove the jockey wheel and never had it hit anything, but the parked position of the wheel is alongside the A frame - it only protrudes down around three inches below the A frame.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 18:35   #20
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

I've never felt the need to remove a jockey wheel either and regularly tow various items (though not with the zed), but I just thought 3inches is a large percentage of the total ground clearance of the hitch so would be enough to make a difference for the OP, a nice cheap fix to if it stops any grounding
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote