Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th May 2018, 06:59   #91
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
This is true

Whilst it is true, the tester would need to be very familiar with specific engines to be able to identify the difference between an OEM EGR and a bypass, especially on the 75. Even more difficult for the tester to identify, would be where an OEM EGR is fitted, but the vacuum pipe which operates it has been deliberately blocked, or the solenoid disconnected, to disable the disable the unit.

Remember they are not allowed to disassemble, if it looks right, it has to be accepted as right.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 09:59   #92
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

This is true Harry but most testers know a bit about cars, some bypasses are obvious but as you say if the vac pipe has been blocked and reconnected then you’d never know

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 10:14   #93
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I would imagine over the next 6/12 months all MOT testers will be stringent with their checks. All the publicity these new changes have brought, along with the extra training involved, will be keeping these testers on their toes.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 10:30   #94
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

While I don’t agree with some of the omissions, including ceasing tests for vehicles over 40 years old, I do agree with the majority of the new items especially those that are designed to improve our air quality. I’ve a diesel, I hope it passes come mot time but if it’s not fit to be on the road then it shouldn’t be.

I do understand concerns regarding ‘money making’ by unscrupulous test centres but that’s always been the case. Arnold Clark once told me a Renault Scenic we had needed a can belt for its mot. Obviously I knew better but how many wouldn’t? Im lucky I have a local trusted garage in the village. I could get cheaper but would I trust the results? I think we’re worrying too much here. A well sorted car should have no trouble. A messed about unloved example may not fair so well but I think that’s the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 17:25   #95
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
While I don’t agree with some of the omissions, including ceasing tests for vehicles over 40 years old, I do agree with the majority of the new items especially those that are designed to improve our air quality. I’ve a diesel, I hope it passes come mot time but if it’s not fit to be on the road then it shouldn’t be.

I do understand concerns regarding ‘money making’ by unscrupulous test centres but that’s always been the case. Arnold Clark once told me a Renault Scenic we had needed a can belt for its mot. Obviously I knew better but how many wouldn’t? Im lucky I have a local trusted garage in the village. I could get cheaper but would I trust the results? I think we’re worrying too much here. A well sorted car should have no trouble. A messed about unloved example may not fair so well but I think that’s the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree - we enthusiasts keep our cars in tip top condition. That cannot be said for most people who drive cars and have no interest in them.

This thread has been one of the best I have read anywhere on this subject.

Many thanks to all
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 16:21   #96
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Well.... My ZT CDTI just passed its annual!!

'Advisories' on condition of disks and rear springs (corroded) but the interesting one is the emissions with an advisory on "Excessive smoke but not likely to block the vision of the following vehicles."

Firstly my car is a 1.33 jobbie on the plate and it passed at 1.92 go figure!
Maybe the tester just ignores the plates and goes for a 3.00 as its a turbo. his discretion I guess.

The interesting bit is earlier today I changed the Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter, Fuel filter, and PCV filter. The car is mapped to 160 and has a free flowing exhaust, EGR bypass, Silicone inlet pipe and all the usual mods.

The tester said it wont help having a free flowing exhaust, (emits more vapour and smoke apparently!!)

I would like to think i could get the emissions down a bit more by using some injector system cleaner (Cataclean)

Anything else I could try without going down the replace injector route??

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 16:43   #97
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Just checked the plate on the B pillar and everything is there with the notable exception of the emission figure? not even a box for it

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 15:51   #98
davidcarp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Just checked the plate on the B pillar and everything is there with the notable exception of the emission figure? not even a box for it
Hi Pete
Just had the MOT. Failed on emissions. Slightly out of tolerance. New air filter and passed. Had to have new brake pads and that was it. OK for another year

Dave
davidcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 18:10   #99
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Not wanting to take the thread off course but can anyone reading with access to a tame MOT tester or who is a tester comment on the changes re: aftermarket headlamp modifications whether it be DRL's or HID kits etc. etc.. Partly just curious but also looking at a future mod.

Thanks

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 18:32   #100
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarp View Post
Hi Pete
Just had the MOT. Failed on emissions. Slightly out of tolerance. New air filter and passed. Had to have new brake pads and that was it. OK for another year

Dave

Hi Dave... What does the plate on the B pillar say on yours about the emission level as it's almost identical age and spec to mine? If its the same as mine they should have tested it at 3.0 and if yours exceeded that then it must have an issue somewhere or did they use a lower limit?

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote