Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th February 2018, 16:42   #1
Granchie Ray

Rover 75 saloon

Default Really confusing issue ?

Hi I wonder if anyone can help ?
I have a strange problem with my 75 coni, stopped on the way home from work about 3 weeks ago and would not start. Mechanic said check the plenums for water, sure enough there was about 2 inches of water so cleaned the drains an let the water out, got towed home and removed the ecu and dried it out. after refitting the car ran, and I went for some shopping and into town great, when I went home. Next day refused to start ?
Saw several different threads on here so thought I would check the Itp so after removing the connector and refitting it a few times I gave the unit a few taps around the top with the back of my screwdriver, car started first time and was great for a week then on the way home she stopped again so after tapping the pump again it started and went for a few minutes and stopped ? this went on for a few hundred yards then it just refused to start.
So a new UBP and ITP were ordered and fitted. Had murder to get her started, but she will only start now if I remove the ECU and warm it up then she will start and run first time but as soon as I leave it and the ECU gets cold she won't start?
Warm the ECU and she starts first time and drives perfectly until the ECU starts to get cold then she stops and refuses to start ?
Does anybody know how to get this repaired or do I need to buy a new one and get it programmed ?
Disappointed as this is a great car and is lovely to drive, had it 7 years and she has done 123k miles, I normally let my nephew do any work as he's a qualified mechanic and MOT tester.
But recently he doesn't seem to be interested so am doing the work myself.
Any help/ advice greatly appreciated as I need my car for work and am currently cadging a lift with a friend and have been advised by several people to "get rid"
Don't want to do this as I like this car but am at the end of my patience and need to get this sorted.
Granchie Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 16:54   #2
Patrickmna

Mg zt

If it was mine I would probably try to get an ECU set and replace the lot, or maybe take the ECU apart and check the relays and the solder joints to see if there is anything amiss there.
Old 11th February 2018, 17:01   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Ray, it would be enormous help to know engine type in your question? I know it's a doozle, but others may not
The fault could be a maf sensor or similar, I'm sure one of the real experts will be along soon. MarinaBrian's your man concerning ecu's etc
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 17:02   #4
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granchie Ray View Post
Hi I wonder if anyone can help ?
I have a strange problem with my 75 coni, stopped on the way home from work about 3 weeks ago and would not start. Mechanic said check the plenums for water, sure enough there was about 2 inches of water so cleaned the drains an let the water out, got towed home and removed the ecu and dried it out. after refitting the car ran, and I went for some shopping and into town great, when I went home. Next day refused to start ?
Saw several different threads on here so thought I would check the Itp so after removing the connector and refitting it a few times I gave the unit a few taps around the top with the back of my screwdriver, car started first time and was great for a week then on the way home she stopped again so after tapping the pump again it started and went for a few minutes and stopped ? this went on for a few hundred yards then it just refused to start.
So a new UBP and ITP were ordered and fitted. Had murder to get her started, but she will only start now if I remove the ECU and warm it up then she will start and run first time but as soon as I leave it and the ECU gets cold she won't start?
Warm the ECU and she starts first time and drives perfectly until the ECU starts to get cold then she stops and refuses to start ?
Does anybody know how to get this repaired or do I need to buy a new one and get it programmed ?
Disappointed as this is a great car and is lovely to drive, had it 7 years and she has done 123k miles, I normally let my nephew do any work as he's a qualified mechanic and MOT tester.
But recently he doesn't seem to be interested so am doing the work myself.
Any help/ advice greatly appreciated as I need my car for work and am currently cadging a lift with a friend and have been advised by several people to "get rid"
Don't want to do this as I like this car but am at the end of my patience and need to get this sorted.
Get in touch with Marinbrian he is the man for your problem.
Old 11th February 2018, 17:12   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

See if this thread helps https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=239693
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 17:40   #6
Granchie Ray

Rover 75 saloon

Default Doh ? Should have added this at the start.

Sorry its a 2.0 diesel. 2005, Had 89,000 miles on her when I bought her and now has just over 123,000 miles been excellent starter and never had any engine problems this is the first time since I've owned her that she's failed to start even on the coldest mornings.
Granchie Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 17:50   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Sorry its a 2.0 diesel. 2005, Had 89,000 miles on her when I bought her and now has just over 123,000 miles been excellent starter and never had any engine problems this is the first time since I've owned her that she's failed to start even on the coldest mornings.
Hi Ray, yes I can repair your ECM, not a problem

Drop me a PM with a phone number and I'll give you a call

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 17:53   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickmna View Post
If it was mine I would probably try to get an ECU set and replace the lot, or maybe take the ECU apart and check the relays and the solder joints to see if there is anything amiss there.
You could fit an ECU "set" Patrick, it might well get it running, but I'll guarantee it causes other problems........ask me how I know this

Brian
Old 13th February 2018, 14:53   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Well I can say for definite it wasn't the 100µF 40v smoothing cap on the PSU Ray

Service exchange winging your way as we speak

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 13th February 2018 at 15:17..
Old 13th February 2018, 15:46   #10
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
So a new UBP and ITP were ordered and fitted. .
This must be one of the very last 2 pump models, my 05 reg only had 1 pump.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote