Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th April 2016, 14:33   #1
DRC66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 and 75 Tourer

Default Thoughts on just how good our cars are

Today I went to test drive a Daimler Super V8 which is for sale locally and is of similar vintage to my 2.5 Connie SE. Both cars have full service history and are in very good condition with comparable mileage.

Apart from the obvious difference in grunt. Some 200 bhp, in terms of spec i.e. leather electric and heated seats, walnut, automatic, electric windows, mirrors, sun roof, climate control, rear sun blind, cd multi changer, sat nav there weren't any more 'toys' than the Connie already has.

Given that the Daimler was almost two and a half times the price new of the Rover I was expecting something to rock my boat. We all know the article 'The Phantom Menaced' but the Rover is undisputedly a more comfortable ride.

When you also throw in running costs again there is nothing to compare with our cars.

The whole experience just reaffirmed to me just how good our cars truly are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:06   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I am going to see an x type Jaguar tonight.
one of my friends has just bought one. I tried the S type Jaguar before I bought the Rover 75, and was not that impressed.
Old 29th April 2016, 18:13   #3
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Watch out for Rust on the x type, especially where the sills join the floorpan, and make sure all the electrics work, the garage I use for MOT has had a LOT of x types with rust and electrical gremlins.
Old 29th April 2016, 18:15   #4
hawker
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon connoisseur cdt se auto

was looking at a jag .. then compared it my 75 , the winner to me . my rover
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:20   #5
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

The 75 and ZT are probably, pound for pound, the best cars you could buy. X type is unimpressive, S type the same. I'd say the Lexus LS400 and GS300 are on par but have twice the running costs
Old 29th April 2016, 18:42   #6
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

I totally agree. I had a loan of a diesel merc while I was getting my clutch replaced. While it was comfortable the road holding did not compare to my R75. I couldn't wait to get back into it. A colleague had a ZT, replaced it with a BMW tourer and later a Volvo. He said the build quality didn't compare to the ZT.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:47   #7
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

I too will agree with this.

At the time of buying my Connie I was also looking at a Jaguar X type. The Rover was both cheaper (albeit only slightly) and far better equipped.

Last edited by DragonFly; 29th April 2016 at 18:49..
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:54   #8
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

I run an X type SE diesel estate and Connie SE diesel tourer and the Jag electrics work are reliable and it does not leak. The Rover has electric gremlins and sunroof tubes leak although I fancy the ride is better. They both go very well but the Rover has cost me as much in repair costs as the whole car cost whereas the Jag has cost me virtually nothing in repairs (so far!) so in summary Jag build quality is better. Also people think it is posh whereas they don't seem to notice the Rover. They are both in lovely condition
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 19:03   #9
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

Every Japanese or far eastern car I have owned has had better build quality than the 3 rover 75's and 1 ZT I have had, by far! This included an early 90's Proton I owned. I come back to Rover 75/MGZT time and time again because the ride is so good and I enjoy working on them. If Lexus made a 2 litre diesel and early ones were selling for £500 - £1000 I may not be driving a rover though.
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 19:07   #10
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart2050 View Post
I run an X type SE diesel estate and Connie SE diesel tourer and the Jag electrics work are reliable and it does not leak. The Rover has electric gremlins and sunroof tubes leak although I fancy the ride is better. They both go very well but the Rover has cost me as much in repair costs as the whole car cost whereas the Jag has cost me virtually nothing in repairs (so far!) so in summary Jag build quality is better. Also people think it is posh whereas they don't seem to notice the Rover. They are both in lovely condition
Good to see somebody is having a good ownership experience with an X-type. Unfortunately mine didn't mirror it but there are probably some good cars out there. I had the 2.0D which, whilst a reasonable enough (Citroën) engine, will never compare to the M47R in the 75/ZT. Also, coming from Lexus, which are twice the car of any jaguar, the ZT has a similar feel in terms of composure and roadholding with a suspension setup that is literally a generation ahead of the X-type. I've never owned a 75 with a sunroof so I can't comment on that. Yes, you'll need to replace little bits and pieces, but there's nothing on the car that I'd consider to be expensive.

There'll be good and bad cars of each model, but it is in no way a definitive statement to say that Jaguar build quality is better at a similar price to a 75. It's just not true.