Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2016, 17:55   #1
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Default The Law is a Farce

Our residential area is generally good, however we do have an issue with youths riding off road motorcycles on local fields, and known to access these fields via public roads. Now the Police turn up the cycles scatter and the Police say they can't give chase for Health and Safety

So today as my wife is driving in, we get one of the cycles in front of us with no lights, registration, no protective helmets or clothing and on a public highway, so quick thinking I video the incident on my phone. Eventually as the youths realise they are been filmed they flee... upon my return home I report the incident to the Police who arrive at my house 2 hours later, and to their surprise, I present them with evidence in the form of video and an excellent still photo of the rider and pillion looking direct into the lens.

Now the farce bit.... The Police will do their best to trace the youths, and issue a warning on them or the bike, not to use it.... a second warning could result in Police action !

Now correct me if I am wrong, but if you or I drove our car down the road without insurance, we would be subject to the wrath of the law, we would face a fine, penalty points and our vehicle would be impounded.... so what makes us different to them?

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:20   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
.... so what makes us different to them?
We're easier pickings.

You did the right thing though Keith, offering the video evidence. The more of this you can collect, the greater your chances of getting a more enthusiastic response. Remember The Dead Parrot sketch: "To get anything done in this country you have to complain until you're blue in the mouth".

Simon
Old 29th March 2016, 18:21   #3
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

We're easy targets. Have money, pay our taxes. Everything registered to us at our fixed abode. Make a mistake and we pay up. Simples.

Quad bikes around here are becoming such a menace. No number plates, driving at stupid speeds. Never seen one pulled over or stopped. Probably because stinging it would hurt the poor blighters.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:23   #4
pernix
Avid contributor

rover 75

Now correct me if I am wrong, but if you or I drove our car down the road without insurance, we would be subject to the wrath of the law, we would face a fine, penalty points and our vehicle would be impounded.... so what makes us different to them?[/QUOTE]

because you are there and in front of them and they don't have to spend time and effort looking for you
pernix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:27   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

generally the police will have stopped us, in this case the motorbikes have not been seen or stopped by the police.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:43   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661
Now correct me if I am wrong, but if you or I drove our car down the road without insurance, we would be subject to the wrath of the law, we would face a fine, penalty points and our vehicle would be impounded.... so what makes us different to them?

Totally agree with you there, easily traceable via reg number. Makes you wonder why you bother Keith,we are plagued by speeders on our road which is 30 mph,and nobody adheres to it.
100 yards up the road is a 60 zone,they come off the dual carriageway into the 60 zone,and don't slow at all for the 30 zone. At the other end of the road is a roundabout,and they see our road as an accelerating lane to get to the 60 zone.
I have contacted the Police time and again about it,the best I got was " ask all your neighbours to sign a petition calling for action and we'll see what we can do"

They sent a PCSO down with a speed indicator that sits on top the car, pulled a few over and told them they were going to get a warning letter, pathetic,why bother? Yet the wife got caught at 34 in a 30 zone and had to do a speed awareness course. These idiots on my street are doing 50/60 plus.
I have flagged down several traffic cars in the area,and told them,they said they cant just come down with a radar,without being told by higher authority.
I even told them if they parked the Police vehicle in one of the side streets opposite,they had my permission to stand behind my tall hedge, obscuring them from full view, and catch the speeders as they came down.
Still nothing done.

Last edited by RPWC; 29th March 2016 at 18:45..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:51   #7
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Why Bother

Probably because i enjoy my time off work, I enjoy a peaceful relaxing down time, I do not want to listen to these morons, I do not want to see our environment wrecked by mindless youths, I do not want to see an innocent child been mowed down by these idiots.... that's why I bother, the day people stop bothering about what happens in their areas is when these people succeed

I can at least say I have made the effort to do my bit, I have also sent my concerns to Northumbria Police Inspector for my area, and also to the anti social behaviour unit in my local council.

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:53   #8
ashleywood.ash
Loves to post

ZT-T

I can tell you first hand on this.

They can do more than just give them a warning, but chances are they don't really know what they can do. There are 2 main issues to this situation:

1- chances are, no matter how clear the photo is the police officers will not know the youths. Reason being due to being so strapped of staff with such massive workloads police no longer get into the community and find out who the bad uns are. They simple go from job to job to job trying to stay afloat.

2- the police that came to you will have been standard response bobbies. Standard response bobbies, 90% of them, hate traffic and know very little about traffic laws. There are literally hundreds of laws and it's impossible to know about them all. As such most will generally avoid traffic, add that to the fact they do t have time to deal with motoring offences due to all other stuff and therefore they forget even more.
There is the odd traffic crazed Bobby but chances are if you are being done for a traffic offence it will be by a traffic officer, of which there are now even less of.

Just the sad way of the world now I'm afraid. Thanks Dave !

Just to let you know, the police were referring to a section 59 warning under section 59 of the road traffic act. 2 warnings and they take your vehicle. This is mainly used for nuisance motorists causing ASB.

Remember though officers are human and therefore each one may do something different as there are often numerous different laws that can apply to each situation.

Keep reporting though ��

Just to clarify, it is impossible to trace details on a vehicle without a registration such as this bike. It relies on police recognising the rider, refer to earlier point.
ashleywood.ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:53   #9
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

You can understand why the police are reluctant to do anything when they'll know what will happen. They'll spend hours on paperwork then end up issuing a caution because the CPS won't think it's worth a prosecution.

The caution will end up being ignored, just because that's the sort of people you're dealing with, and they'll carry on doing it.

And so the circle continues.....

Like others have said, we motorists get prosecuted because we are a soft target and will just pay up. Not fair but that's just life for us.
Well done for trying though Keith, it's what we all need to do more of and it may help eventually.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers

Last edited by freck; 29th March 2016 at 18:56..
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:58   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
Why Bother

Probably because i enjoy my time off work, I enjoy a peaceful relaxing down time, I do not want to listen to these morons, I do not want to see our environment wrecked by mindless youths, I do not want to see an innocent child been mowed down by these idiots.... that's why I bother, the day people stop bothering about what happens in their areas is when these people succeed

I can at least say I have made the effort to do my bit, I have also sent my concerns to Northumbria Police Inspector for my area, and also to the anti social behaviour unit in my local council.
I wasn't referring to you when I said "why bother" Keith, I was meaning the Police themselves, the action they took was so pathetic, I was saying "why bother" ,as in why did they bother with such a pathetic effort that will do no good whatsoever,they may as well not do anything. Like you I am concerned ,my kids have to walk along this road every day from school, thankfully they don't have to cross it,but it will probably take a child or elderly neighbour to get hit before any action is taken.

Last edited by RPWC; 29th March 2016 at 19:09.. Reason: additional info.
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote