Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th June 2016, 12:05   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
No, I haven't, only pictures of 75's.
To the eye, it's so dark that it's almost black (rather like Dorchester red). So you might like it and your family would be hard pushed to claim that it is a green car.

Simon
Old 26th June 2016, 13:52   #12
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Just a correction here. The plastic doesn't become brittle. It's the 'O' rings that leak due to becoming flattened and they can be renewed separately. However, the strange thing is that this doesn't affect all cars. There are V6s which don't leak, and they use 50:50 OAT antifreeze as well! The cause of this problem is under long term investigation.

Simon
Yes I should have added the 'O' rings go flat. I'm surprised you say the plastic doesn't go brittle though, Simon as I have seen a few where you could crumble the cracked plastic in your hands as if it's been affected by a combination of heat and OAT.

I mean I stand to be corrected but hasn't one member actually manufactured a metal alternative in an attempt to stop this "corrosion"?

P.S I'm loving your Timothy Taylor's 'Bolt Maker' Ale logo as I am a native of Keighley where the brewery is and the late John Taylor was a friend of my wifes family!! It's lovely real ale!!

Last edited by aguy; 26th June 2016 at 13:56..
aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 14:07   #13
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

I have had four so far all with mileages well over 100k. Key is the servicing history like the cam belts and water pump which is a major job requiring about £400 to complete. (so avoid cars that are nice and shiny but need this doing unless they are priced accordingly)

I have had V6 manuals and have found all the autos to return better MPGs particularly if you are not a traffic monster and spend more time on the open road.

There are some bits that seem to usually need doing (engine lower mount, Shannon tubes (where the air is sucked into the engine), VIS motors which can reduce the oomph, and the breather tubes at the top of the engine) Al are easy to do. And lots of the enthusiast owned cars have had these things done.

I have had less issues with the V6 autos than with the diesels I had before when I did bigger mileages in. But this maybe luck!

In tip top condition I have got great mpg from the autos as the gearing is quite tall giving a relatively low rpm at speed.

so for me I would say its a good choice
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 18:46   #14
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Default A mtter of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
I have been toying with the idea of buying a V6 auto and was wondering are they that scary to own.

I have read the various guides on here but knowing diddly squat about a V6 as I have never owned one from any marque.

I know mpg isn't going to be that good, but that doesn't bother me as I do low miles anyway.

What do you look for apart from condition of car or listen out for?

Or is it best to buy the best you can find or is that false economy.
Problem with asking opinion of others is, you'll get so many contradictory answers and won't buy anything.
Having driven every type of 75 I reckon the best all rounder is the 2.0 KV6 auto but of course that's my opinion.

One thing for certain, if I were looking for a 75 at the moment I'd snap up this one unseen, at the asking price there's plenty of change to sort any niggles.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...Search_Mailing
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 19:40   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
I'm loving your Timothy Taylor's 'Bolt Maker' Ale logo as I am a native of Keighley where the brewery is and the late John Taylor was a friend of my wifes family!!
Thanks Harry! Yes, I rank their Landlord Bitter very highly in my list of favourite English beers, and I applaud their branding too.
So, having got the important matters out of the way...
Quote:
I'm surprised you say the plastic doesn't go brittle though, Simon as I have seen a few where you could crumble the cracked plastic in your hands as if it's been affected by a combination of heat and OAT.
Well, as my engine gets hot and uses OAT, and I have never experienced the effect you describe, the conclusion must be that some other unidentified factor must be at work on the parts you have seen.
Quote:
I mean I stand to be corrected but hasn't one member actually manufactured a metal alternative in an attempt to stop this "corrosion"?
Yes, you're right Harry, but that alone doesn't prove that there's anything wrong with the original.

Simon
Old 26th June 2016, 20:00   #16
aguy

I bow to your knowledge Simon, take a look ...HERE.. and whet your appetite, I spent a few hours in there as a young man!!
Old 27th June 2016, 08:31   #17
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
Problem with asking opinion of others is, you'll get so many contradictory answers and won't buy anything.
Having driven every type of 75 I reckon the best all rounder is the 2.0 KV6 auto but of course that's my opinion.

One thing for certain, if I were looking for a 75 at the moment I'd snap up this one unseen, at the asking price there's plenty of change to sort any niggles.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...Search_Mailing
That is very true, but you do get an idea of what a car is like.

I know about the Vis motors and how expensive this can be.

Plus you get honest answers which is what I want.

I wish I had found this Forum before I bought my 1.8T, then I possibly wouldn't have bought it and would have gone for something bigger from the start.

I have the ZT_T Diesel, however I not really a fan of diesels, never have been, but this one is really nice to drive.

At the moment I still have the 1.8T because what with being very ill then a stint in hospital plus I can't drive until July, I have been unable to sell it, only advertised it on here, will be going into Autotrader.

So what I fancy is a well sorted MG ZT 180 Auto or a Rover 75 2.5.

My ultimate aim is to own a Rover 75 V8 although I prefer the MG version, it's a shame that it wasn't produced with an automatic gearbox.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 08:44   #18
aguy

Sorry to hear you've been ill Niel, hope things are improving for you.

I've had both the diesel and the V6. I liked my diesel but since getting the V6 the grin got wider.
Old 27th June 2016, 08:50   #19
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
Sorry to hear you've been ill Niel, hope things are improving for you.

I've had both the diesel and the V6. I liked my diesel but since getting the V6 the grin got wider.
Thank you, slowly they are.

That's what I want to experience.......lol
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 17:57   #20
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I had a lovely ZT 180, Le Mans green. Had it for over a year and loved every minute of it. Had to swap to a diesel due to a job move but regret it every day. Nothing at all wrong with the cdt 75 but it's just not got the 'fizz' that goes with the V6. Much kinder on the pocket though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote