Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2016, 18:35   #21
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Surely it depends on how much you like the car.......not how much its going to cost.

Well......it is for me anyway.

I love my Ztt and have spent oodles to keeps it going.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 19:05   #22
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
Surely it depends on how much you like the car.......not how much its going to cost.

Well, yes - but.....

People keep posting ads for *nicer* 75s and ZTs, so do you spend the money keeping the one you have running, or do you spend a little more and get something a leap beyond what you've got already?

Choices choices choices....
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 19:27   #23
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Superman View Post
I've never been able to understand the logic of 'It costs more than the car is worth to repair it, so I'll scrap it'.
Surely your question should be 'If I go out to buy another car with £305 will I get better than I've got?'
Get another quote for the repair, get the job done, have other work done as you can. If in doubt, see what three hundred quid will buy you on the used car market and then decide to keep the Rover.
Alternative point of view, sell the car for £200 to someone with skill to fix it, they then get a decent car for £300 because of the fruits of their labour.

The seller then gets £200 plus the £305 they would have spent, giving them £500 for a replacement car.

A different form of logic to yours but IMHO equally valid.

To be honest I'm dreading the day I'm in the OP's situation but when that day comes, I'd rather sell my beloved Connie to a club member with the skills to repair for parts and no labour, rather than see another '75 leave this world too soon.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 15:04   #24
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
If the mechanic is true to his word can you share his details please.
OK - the mechanic was indeed true to his word, and did it for £50, and did admit that he had been about to call me and tell me it might be another £20 when he saw how corroded it was, but would have called before doing anything irreversible.

One shiny new upper suspension arm installed.

The garage is Wilsons Autos on Brown Street in Bolton - BL1 1TZ - I would recommend him.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 16:47   #25
pyrite
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Saloon and 1.8t Tourer

Quote:

I think it depends on how long you intend to keep the car, in my case a saloon is not really practicable anymore so I am reluctant to pay around £500 for a new clutch which it requires, as I doubt I would get this money back. However I am going to view a non running tourer on sunday which could well cost me more than its worth to get roadworthy but as long as it's in good condition I don't mind as I intend on keeping it long term
pyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 16:59   #26
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

For my next MOT I need two new tyres, a new bushing and both front suspension replaced! I have been quoted nearly £400 to get it done including parts and labour! But I'm keeping her and is to good to get scrapped!
Old 8th April 2016, 20:39   #27
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
To be honest I'm dreading the day I'm in the OP's situation but when that day comes, I'd rather sell my beloved Connie to a club member with the skills to repair for parts and no labour, rather than see another '75 leave this world too soon.
I'm feeling guilty now having just bought a Connie SE purely as a source of parts for my other three. However, as it passed its mot only requiring a rear drop link (and wipers borrowed from the other car) - total expenditure £16 and an hour work, I'll keep it as a spare car in case of breakdowns for a year at least. It is a bit rusty underneath and seats damaged, so not one of the best. A bonus is the new upper rear arms and springs fitted for mot last year, bad news is there was no effort to protect them against rusting.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 20:51   #28
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:

There is that.

If you bought a brand new car, what is that likely to cost per year to buy and service? Even something fairly run of the mill is going to be easily £2000 upwards per year.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 21:19   #29
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Ive hit a balance of doing 90% of the spannering myself and the jobs that I either dont have the tools for or the expertise to do go to a mechanic.
This keeps the costs down to a minmum so the car gets sorted.
As mentioned the cost of maintaining a newer car can be more expensive unless you own the car out right so I say better the devil you know.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote