Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd April 2016, 15:34   #21
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I'm surprised you actually saw a police car.

Last night I made a 60 mile plus return outing with the missus and at the start I said just see if we spot any police cars.

You guessed, not one was spotted

In the case of the OP I suppose his speed would be around 15mph below the norm these days.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:24   #22
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

A friend of a friend's wife was a Police officer,and she said one of the things they looked for on night shifts, was single occupant vehicles,sticking rigidly at or just below the speed limits. This was an excuse for them to pull the vehicle over on suspicion that the driver had been drinking,as they're driving so cautiously. Wrong if you drive at or under the limit,wrong if you drive over it.
But as o p states , that's what the Police get paid to do,and they were polite and courteous.
Funnily enough, I sometimes finish work at silly o clock,when returning from work on the coaches,and have never been pulled by the law,even when passing Police cars parked up hiding ,waiting for someone to come past.
I drive a van with ladders on the roof too, so a prime target really.
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:30   #23
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Travelling from the Shuttle to Brum one February after visiting my son in Germany , my wife and sister in my car, and snowing, we came along the M25 and near M11, when we were motioned to stop by a police woman in a Range Rover. We pulled over but just on the ramp to the M11. A nasty little man got out of the Range Rover and asked where we had come from, no uniform on and never offered any identification, so told him 'the moon'. Police woman sat in the r/rover then came over and said that the 'little man' was infact a customs officer and wanted to know where we had come from. Told them Germany, and he wanted to know if we had any cigarettes. 'No we do not smoke'. That does not mean you do not smoke' I was told. Now, back was up, snowing just in ordinary clothing no coat on. 'Here's the keys, have a look yourself in the boot' was my reply. 'Can not do that sir'. Police woman pulled me to one side and said she knows he is a little nasty, but could I open the boot so we could all go on our way. Polite ask, so opened the boot. Large cardboard box with a clock my son and daughter-in- law had bought me for my 60th Birthday. 'what's in that'? told him and he had the damn nerve to tell me I had to get it out. What, when it's pouring down with snow. No way Hosea. Policewoman took him to one side, and I think she told him what a little idiot he was, because he went and sat in the R/Rover. She actually apologised for his attitude, which I accepted, and said I was sorry she had to work with someone like that. Not one to be backwards in coming forwards, I went and asked if he ever waited on the M/way outside the shuttle, near to Maidstone, because that was where lorries stopped and let 'strangers' out of the side of the curtainsiders. The police woman thanked me and would pass it on. So all the police are not awkward. Often wondered how she got on with having to work with that idiot all night.
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:36   #24
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Remember chaps, they are out there to protect us from the not so straight members of society.

We should also remember the c**p that the police have to deal with from the public every day of the week .

Curiosity and suspicion are probably the best tools in proactive policing.

I was once stopped driving through a residential part of Ipswich at 1:00am in an old Austin Ambassador with a ladder on the roofrack. I was most impressed with the thoroughness of the young policeman who stopped me for a chat which ended up lasting about 20 minutes. It included a thorough inspection of the car, documents, computer checks and so on.

Although not in the UK, here's a police officer I find most impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkauKSPIK8
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:54   #25
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Remember chaps, they are out there to protect us from the not so straight members of society.

We should also remember the c**p that the police have to deal with from the public every day of the week .

Curiosity and suspicion are probably the best tools in proactive policing.

I was once stopped driving through a residential part of Ipswich at 1:00am in an old Austin Ambassador with a ladder on the roofrack. I was most impressed with the thoroughness of the young policeman who stopped me for a chat which ended up lasting about 20 minutes. It included a thorough inspection of the car, documents, computer checks and so on.

Although not in the UK, here's a police officer I find most impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkauKSPIK8
I don't know how he kept his cool, don't think I could have done that.
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:09   #26
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I have been pulled for all sorts of daft reasons. Namely one that said I had illegal ref lettering. When they got near it they said there was nothing wrong with it then proceeded to do a stop and search. One they pulled us when we broke down and while explaining what was wrong with the other started rifling through my car. Another they said they were able to smell were smoke at a service station, which we didn't stop at but again was stopped and searched then got funny about our insurance cover. Again there was no issue. But they will pull you for
little stupid Things
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:20   #27
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Not a 75 , surely ?
Indeed. However a more refined and sedate crim. Probably looking a lot like Terry Thomas...
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:49   #28
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Happened to me 40 years ago, stopped for doing 28 in a 30 zone after midnight.
Reason being people don't drive at this speed on clear and empty roads at this time of night so we are always suspicious.

I asked what would you have done if I was driving at 35, "pulled you over for speeding".

Stuck out late on a cold night in a patrol car when you'd rather be at home, you're bound to look for justification for being there.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:31   #29
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

I got pulled on my way to work fr not wearing a seatbelt!!!!! I was in actual fact, wearing a seatbelt. They took me in the back of their car and gave me a lecture about wearing a seatbelt, even though I had actually been wearing one. I think they were bored.........
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:34   #30
MG Foord

MG ZT

I totally agree
MG Foord is offline   Reply With Quote