Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd May 2012, 08:58   #1
binraider
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Default Rover 75 CDT Club Manual - Squeak from Auxiliary Belt

I have been getting a squeak/screech from the auxiliary belt region recently. The alternator has done 400 miles since i fitted it new last september. A new auxiliary belt was fitted then and i have recently replaced the idler wheel (not the tensioner one the static one) as i thought that was the culprit, but the sound it still there. The sound usually goes away after 4-5 miles.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have no problems with cooling or anything else.
binraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:57   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Could it be the air con compresser or belt tensioner as opposed to the serpentine belt? Assuming you have air con of course. That is manually tensioned so could be a bit loose.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:10   #3
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Old trick. Powder up a bit of chalk and put it on the running surfaces of the belt. If its the belt thats making the noise it will cure it.

BTW; did you get the belt from LandRover. Some of their belts are known for squeaking
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 18:42   #4
binraider
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Could it be the air con compresser or belt tensioner as opposed to the serpentine belt? Assuming you have air con of course. That is manually tensioned so could be a bit loose.

Mike
The air con belt was new when the auxiliary belt went on. I don't think its the air con belt/tensioner though because when i sprayed a bit of 3 in 1 on the air con belt tensioner the noise remained. Hopefully its not the main auxiliary tensioner as that is probably a pig to get to!

Last edited by binraider; 24th May 2012 at 18:47..
Old 24th May 2012, 18:47   #5
binraider
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Old trick. Powder up a bit of chalk and put it on the running surfaces of the belt. If its the belt thats making the noise it will cure it.

BTW; did you get the belt from LandRover. Some of their belts are known for squeaking
Thanks i will try that.
Originally a previous belt failed, then shredded and wrapped around the crank pulley slightly, damaging the seal. I could not remove the pulley (no mates nearer than 2 hrs drive!) so had the seal replaced by a garage - they also ordered in the belts, so not sure of the source.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:40   #6
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binraider View Post
I have been getting a squeak/screech from the auxiliary belt region recently. The alternator has done 400 miles since i fitted it new last september. A new auxiliary belt was fitted then and i have recently replaced the idler wheel (not the tensioner one the static one) as i thought that was the culprit, but the sound it still there. The sound usually goes away after 4-5 miles.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have no problems with cooling or anything else.

dont know if the diesels are the same water pump wise ,but a screeching noise is a sign of a water pump or lose/slipping belt or the nosie is from the aux area but a main pulley .
Old 26th May 2012, 17:38   #7
binraider
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Default Air con belt/pump it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post

Mike
I was just about to replace the power steering pump (s/h £33 - ebay with 60 day warranty) when i thought - hang on that air con belt looks a bit tight - and it was really tight - so i loosened, then removed the air con tensioner from the engine and the belt was still too tight to come off the pump. So i loosened off the air con pumps bolts to give some slack and removed the belt. Put the aux belt back on, started the engine and "Hey Presto" the Squeak was gone!

Hmmm - the garage had sourced that and put it on. When i took it in i had bought the serpentine and aircon pump belts from BMW. The garage had phoned me up and said it was the wrong belt (air con) and they had to get the right one. But the one they got was also too short - about 1cm longer than the Beemer one. The one that was replaced was definitely much longer - when the tensioner was loosened with the old one you could slip it off no problem! They must have forced it on and now i expect the bearings in the air con pump are shot!

Moral of the story - Do it yourself
Old 26th May 2012, 18:08   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by binraider View Post
I was just about to replace the power steering pump (s/h £33 - ebay with 60 day warranty) when i thought - hang on that air con belt looks a bit tight - and it was really tight - so i loosened, then removed the air con tensioner from the engine and the belt was still too tight to come off the pump. So i loosened off the air con pumps bolts to give some slack and removed the belt. Put the aux belt back on, started the engine and "Hey Presto" the Squeak was gone!

Hmmm - the garage had sourced that and put it on. When i took it in i had bought the serpentine and aircon pump belts from BMW. The garage had phoned me up and said it was the wrong belt (air con) and they had to get the right one. But the one they got was also too short - about 1cm longer than the Beemer one. The one that was replaced was definitely much longer - when the tensioner was loosened with the old one you could slip it off no problem! They must have forced it on and now i expect the bearings in the air con pump are shot!

Moral of the story - Do it yourself
Hi. Last line of your post.yes yes yes yes and yes again.You can only blame yourself then if anything goes wrong.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:53   #9
pete75
Avid contributor

Rover75 cdt

Just been reading the above post about the belts. Is this an easy job to change them? Any special tools needed? Last question, what do we think the failure rate is of these belts?
Pete
pete75 is offline   Reply With Quote