Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th September 2014, 17:29   #1
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Default Upgraditis !

Beginning to suffer Upgraditis again, this is in no small part because Canon have after five years decided to launch the replacement version of my Canon Eos 7D

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...nds-on-review/

This has got me all of a quiver and full of anxiety as to the idea of getting hold of the new body
It has some great features that should be of benefit to me including....
A new much upgraded multi point focusing system, dual card slots for both Sd and Compact Flash cards, 10fps....that's quicker than a quick thing going quickly.
What I can't get my head round though and I think this may have soured it for me somewhat is the fact that they haven't provided wifi connectivity and a touch screen interface

So.....do I upgrade and accept these shortcomings, stick with what I've got ( cheaper option ) or wait till the next upgrade on the APS bodies.....might be a long time as this one has been five years in the making

The other alternative is to stick the money into some new glass instead.
I'll wait and see how things progress and hopefully the price will drop as well after it's been on the market for a while!

Last edited by coolcat; 16th September 2014 at 17:55..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 17:41   #2
colintf
Posted a thing or two

ZT260SE TF160 ZT135+

Even if you really want it, WAIT

let others be the ones who have to get the teething problems sorted
6 months time, the uk price will have dropped a fair bit to
Those that by as soon as it's out always pay the most

MGCC Z Register Rep for V8 ZT / ZTT's
http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htmhttp://www.mgfregister.org/
colintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 17:54   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by colintf View Post
Even if you really want it, WAIT

let others be the ones who have to get the teething problems sorted
6 months time, the uk price will have dropped a fair bit to
Those that by as soon as it's out always pay the most

I agree.......but!
The urges can overwhelm sometimes
I bought the 40D a month after it came out and was even worse with the 7D getting it a week after release.......I'm very weak willed you know
Old 16th September 2014, 18:43   #4
ratsalad
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Contemporary SE,Tourer - Auto

is this the Mark II?

I wouldn't worry about the wifi or indeed the touch screen, although the later would be nice, on a personal note I tend to use the viewfinder more than the live view option and unless they employed some sort of proximity sensor to turn the screen off sticking your mush up against the screen is gonna cause problems.

I have wifi and GPS on my Nikon D5300, and don't use GPS at all, it's a massive battery hog, plus the time it takes to get a satellite lock is way too long, by the time you've got a lock, the shot you wanted has had a good chance of not being there any more. The Wifi, can be tethered to my phone and is good for uploading pics to social websites, facebook etc. but when I'm at home I either plug into my PC or take the SD card and put into a card-reader.

But I agree with colintf wait a couple of months for the obligatory 'fix teething problems' update.

I was interested in it until I saw the price, from what I could see it's going to be circa £1500, too pricey for my blood

Membership Number:
001 607

Past Rover cars: P6 3500S, SD1 3.5, 2 x SD1 2.6, 2 x 820 Si.

Current: Rover 75
Contemporary SE CDTi Tourer, Auto.
https://s20.postimg.cc/g20qde31p/Rover75.jpg

ratsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 19:08   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsalad View Post
is this the Mark II?

I wouldn't worry about the wifi or indeed the touch screen, although the later would be nice, on a personal note I tend to use the viewfinder more than the live view option and unless they employed some sort of proximity sensor to turn the screen off sticking your mush up against the screen is gonna cause problems.

I have wifi and GPS on my Nikon D5300, and don't use GPS at all, it's a massive battery hog, plus the time it takes to get a satellite lock is way too long, by the time you've got a lock, the shot you wanted has had a good chance of not being there any more. The Wifi, can be tethered to my phone and is good for uploading pics to social websites, facebook etc. but when I'm at home I either plug into my PC or take the SD card and put into a card-reader.

But I agree with colintf wait a couple of months for the obligatory 'fix teething problems' update.

I was interested in it until I saw the price, from what I could see it's going to be circa £1500, too pricey for my blood
I'm not bothered by live view as such really but the wifi is a big deal for me.
Taking the cat photos in the pen allows you to control and view the camera via a smart phone/tablet and would be very beneficial especially as it doesn't have an Articulated screen !
Not worried about downloading files via wifi as it would take for ages with the size of files this camera will produce.
It has usb3 anyhow for fast data transfer!
Canon have really dropped the ball in my opinion leaving wifi and touch screen off their premium APS camera and does make me wonder if an upgrade really is worthwhile.
What I would gain though is the expanded iso range and what looks to be a great focusing system taken straight off the 1Dx, decisions decisions
Old 16th September 2014, 19:44   #6
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Surely though the price and appeal of a 5D MkII is better now this 7D MkII has been announced
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 20:08   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Surely though the price and appeal of a 5D MkII is better now this 7D MkII has been announced
5D MKII is a lovely camera but not for a Motorsport tog really.
Just not fast enough and the original 7D has better focusing options for my type of photography

Now if I were shooting landscapes, portraiture etc that would be an excellent choice of camera

To be honest the only other camera I would consider for Motorsport would be an older 1D body,
Problem is these have usually had a rather hard life and there's no way I could afford a 1Dx unless my numbers come up
Old 16th September 2014, 21:53   #8
colintf
Posted a thing or two

ZT260SE TF160 ZT135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
5D MKII is a lovely camera but not for a Motorsport tog really.
Just not fast enough and the original 7D has better focusing options for my type of photography

Now if I were shooting landscapes, portraiture etc that would be an excellent choice of camera

To be honest the only other camera I would consider for Motorsport would be an older 1D body,
Problem is these have usually had a rather hard life and there's no way I could afford a 1Dx unless my numbers come up
I shoot Motorsport and use 5d3 works for me

But most of the btcc photogs use 1d3's
MGCC Z Register Rep for V8 ZT / ZTT's
http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htmhttp://www.mgfregister.org/
colintf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 06:11   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by colintf View Post
I shoot Motorsport and use 5d3 works for me

But most of the btcc photogs use 1d3's
Yep but the 5D Mk3 is a faster camera with much improved focussing options than the the Mk2 that Alan suggested
The other thing for me is I like to use an APS body for the extra reach it gives on the telephoto lenses, I know you can always crop the photos afterwards but I prefer not to.
Not only that but going full frame would mean having to ditch some of my lenses as well.
I'm so in love with my Sigma 18-35 1.8 it would be a real shame to lose it.

Quite a few of the Motorsport togs who use the older 1D bodies such as the Mk3 have bemoaned the fact that there is only one version now in the 1Dx and that it is the full frame only body.

I know the gradual push is for full frame and it would make sense in the long run, not least for not having to make specific lenses for the APS sensor bodies but I'm still on the crop body fence for the moment as it works for my photography well
It remains to be seen whether I will upgrade to the 7D mk2 and perhaps I may hire one first to give it a try
Old 17th September 2014, 19:35   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I've followed this launch closely, the price is lower than I expected and the fps is good, ISO although better I'm sure I read a few weeks ago it wasn't as high as expected? Lack of Wifi wouldn't put me off and I wouldn't want an articulated touch screen. I use a 1D MKII N which has 2 card slots and 8 fps, it's on less than 8,000 actuations from new and I love it but I long for higher ISO use A second hand MK4 or 1DX is not an option so the 7D MKII is an interesting development.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is online now   Reply With Quote