Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th November 2018, 08:12   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
... they will not be able to enforce it in court ...
Please see my post no. 11 Steve.

The alleged non-payment of the original parking fee for the registration number of the vehicle left in the car park will not be dealt with by the courts but by the appeal process (see the link I provided in my first response).

The only time when the hapless motorist will find themselves in court is as the defendant for failure to pay the fine which itself is imposed for non-payment of the original PCN. The local authority will be able to enforce that.

Simon
Old 12th November 2018, 20:14   #22
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Oh yes! - enjoy it!!

And make sure you let people in the town where you live know, that if you lose then your shopping habits will be forced towards online providers and ask them to question what local Councils are doing to prevent the demise of our Town and City centres?

It is the mindless stupidity of what many have recalled on here regarding crazy parking charges and equally crazy fines that is destroying our town and city centres.

If you lose let those around you know that this behaviour by those “in charge” has changed your behaviour such that you no longer shop as you once did. Tell them that THEIR actions have stopped you shopping in your local town centre.

Only when the idiocy of those in charge is successfully challenged will we see a change in attitude and a halt to the demise of our wonderful Town and City centres.
I am sure that if everyone who got fined stopped shopping in that area, and made it known, things would soon change. I will tell you for one, when Birmingham starts it’s charge for ‘dirty cars’ entering the city, I will not be shopping there again. If everyone did the same, it would soon alter their attitude. But you have to tell them why. I probably spend along with my wife, around £600 a year there, so that is a loss for at least three retailers. Don’t accept this imposition, tell em. Best of luck.
Old 12th November 2018, 20:37   #23
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

The law has very little sympathy for genuine mistakes, in my experience. I have contested 2 parking tickets in my local town, Penrith. They have free, zoned parking, but you have to set your arrival time on a cardboard clock, and leave it in the windscreen. On one occasion, shortly after my father died, I had to leave some papers at the solicitors. Understandably, my head was not in a good place, and after finding the envelope, which had slipped down on the door side of the passenger seat, I forgot to set the clock in my windscreen. 15 minutes later in the 2hour limit, I got back to the car to find a ticket. Fair enough. I appealed, with the facts as above, but sent the cheque in with the appeal. No sympathy. I had admitted my fault (never mind the circumstances) and they cashed the cheque. On another occasion, when I forgot to set the clock, then remembered after 5 minutes, ran back to the car, only to find the warden sticking the FPN on my windscreen. When I told him I had proof I had only been there 10minutes - showed him proof in the form of the petrol receipt from filling up just before parking, he said, yes he knew I 'd only just parked shortly before, as he'd seen my car turn into the street where I'd parked, but I was welcome to contest the ticket. I did, again, no joy. The offence was not overstaying, it was failing to display the time of arrival. No excuses allowed. I had a friend who had to abandon his car by the pavement one snowy night, and walk home. When he went to retrieve his car with a shovel the following day, it had a ticket on it - no resident's permit for that area. They made him pay it.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 21:13   #24
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Think 75p from local authority parking tickets goes to fund the appeal process, if I were you appeal it, you may be lucky.

I'm fighting a private parking ticket at this moment, went to the post office and didn't notice they had installed a new system, so far the claim is for £325 for a whole 9 minutes, I've just filed my defence on line and waiting for the next stage AQ.
Do you mean you were 9 minutes over your ticket expiry time?
If so, by law (as of April 2015) you have 10 minutes 'waiting' or 'grace' time over your ticket expiry time so you can't be done anyway.
With a private parking company, you would've been far better not making any contact at all & you should never admit to being the driver.
Council of course are a little different but always worth an appeal.
The 10 minute rule still applies though & applies to free or paid for parking & includes on-street parking too (parking bays).

Last edited by mh007; 12th November 2018 at 21:25..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 21:26   #25
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments - some strong words and sentiments expressed here and I certainly don't disagree.

Just wanted to post an update... lodged an appeal Sunday evening and got an email back today saying that the ticket was correctly issued but as they can see on the system that she had paid (albeit with the wrong registration) that she was being let off as a goodwill gesture as she was a first time offender... but she wouldn't be so lucky next time... not quite those words but that was the gist.

I'm not sure how to respond, I suppose on the one hand we should be grateful, but I feel the tone was unnecessarily overbearing and officious. I feel like a "Gawd bless you, Mr Scrooge." would be the most appropriate response. But I won't.

An odd way to deal with honest law-abiding people who bought their ticket in good faith. The irony is that in the local paper this week the council are complaining about the reduction in footfall in the high street and trying to find out the reasons why. To that I can only suggest that they take a long and rather hard look in the mirror.

Last edited by BigAde; 12th November 2018 at 21:29..
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 21:38   #26
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Success....well done!

Goodwill gesture my eye & as for first time offender! The plain fact is, they probably already knew it wouldn't go anywhere & they're making it sound like they've done you a favour!!

In fact, the speed at which they replied tells you something.

You don't need to respond & I wouldn't give them the pleasure.

Just print off their email so that you have a hard copy for your records.

Last edited by mh007; 12th November 2018 at 21:48..
Old 12th November 2018, 23:07   #27
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Just to add to all comments, I went to see my fave "rock"star in Cardiff a couple of years ago and inadvertantly followed a bus route to my hotel (nice and quick). A week later after coming home I received a notice including a photograph of my misdemeanour. I duly sent of my cheque (do you remember them?) and an explanation that I was a first time visitor to their city spending many many pounds of my hard earned and that this fine had left a sour taste in my mouth that wanted me to never visit their city again.
A couple of weeks later I received a cheque for the fine and a telling off not to do it again (result)!
So basically I would always say give it a go and not to be confrontational, explain your circumstances and be very humble (I like my money to be spent on things I want/need)
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2018, 12:01   #28
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default parking tickets

http://dorseteye.com/ Might be worth a read for future reference

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2018, 14:19   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments - some strong words and sentiments expressed here and I certainly don't disagree.

Just wanted to post an update... lodged an appeal Sunday evening and got an email back today saying that the ticket was correctly issued but as they can see on the system that she had paid (albeit with the wrong registration) that she was being let off as a goodwill gesture as she was a first time offender... but she wouldn't be so lucky next time... not quite those words but that was the gist.

I'm not sure how to respond, I suppose on the one hand we should be grateful, but I feel the tone was unnecessarily overbearing and officious. I feel like a "Gawd bless you, Mr Scrooge." would be the most appropriate response. But I won't.

An odd way to deal with honest law-abiding people who bought their ticket in good faith. The irony is that in the local paper this week the council are complaining about the reduction in footfall in the high street and trying to find out the reasons why. To that I can only suggest that they take a long and rather hard look in the mirror.

Personally, I would be happy with the positive result and leave it at that.

Perhaps, it can only be a "goodwill gesture", or an "acceptance of your excuse" as the tax office calls it, unless the technicality of the situation has been tested through a formal process.

I don't believe that the footfall issue has much to do with parking penalties - it is largely about people buying online and cheap.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2018, 14:39   #30
mh007
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
http://dorseteye.com/ Might be worth a read for future reference
Just takes you to the main site.