Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th November 2018, 01:31   #31
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
thanks for that Avulon. The link within my last post explained what I was wondering, with a clue from a suggested search in one of Simon's posts. With all the pedantry that was being discussed, I thought it was a good chance to ask lol. Being pedantic about it, would I be correct in thinking that it is mass, since earth's gravity would not be applying the force, but the mass being applied by the operator (ie you when you when you turn the wrench)?

the mass/weight thing was always something that stuck in my mind from school.

The way I understand it.

1kg mass. At 1 earth gravity has a weight of 1kg. Easy .

OK - take away the gravity - 1kg mass weighs nothing - however it's still one kilo of mass.

OK - lets have 0.5 earth gravity - your 1kg of mass now weighs 500g. (it's still one kilo of mass).

Weight is just a way of describing how much force is needed to oppose the influence of gravity on mass. . To take the above example - On earth the one kilo mass requires a table capable of supporting 1kg of weight. In 0.5 Earth gravity the table only need be half as strong.

Now your statement about 'mass applied by the operator' - the operator applies force (of course where's there's gravity this may be by applying their weight on it).

OK. Here's a last bed time puzzler - A one metre bar is being used to turn a 10mm socket using a 1/2" drive. Gravity is 0.5 earth gravity. The bar is perpendicular to the direction of gravitation force and 1kg (mass) is placed on the end. The 10mm socket is turning a machine screw with a an 8mm thread. How much (momentary) torque is being applied (in Nm please)?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 06:59   #32
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
It's a shame because no one really cares, what matters is whether or not you make yourself understood ...
Only a few days ago Brian you were displaying your pedantry by criticising me for using the term 'bolt' when the item was technically a 'set screw'. Today you take the opposite stance!

Simon
Old 16th November 2018, 09:04   #33
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
The way I understand it.

1kg mass. At 1 earth gravity has a weight of 1kg. Easy .

OK - take away the gravity - 1kg mass weighs nothing - however it's still one kilo of mass.

OK - lets have 0.5 earth gravity - your 1kg of mass now weighs 500g. (it's still one kilo of mass).

Weight is just a way of describing how much force is needed to oppose the influence of gravity on mass. . To take the above example - On earth the one kilo mass requires a table capable of supporting 1kg of weight. In 0.5 Earth gravity the table only need be half as strong.

Now your statement about 'mass applied by the operator' - the operator applies force (of course where's there's gravity this may be by applying their weight on it).

OK. Here's a last bed time puzzler - A one metre bar is being used to turn a 10mm socket using a 1/2" drive. Gravity is 0.5 earth gravity. The bar is perpendicular to the direction of gravitation force and 1kg (mass) is placed on the end. The 10mm socket is turning a machine screw with a an 8mm thread. How much (momentary) torque is being applied (in Nm please)?

5 nm? Believe it or not I 'studied' bending moments during a level, but I failed miserably. Women got in the way lol and the passing of time, little snippets come back, but not necessarily in their right order lol.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 10:13   #34
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
5 nm? Believe it or not I 'studied' bending moments during a level, but I failed miserably. Women got in the way lol and the passing of time, little snippets come back, but not necessarily in their right order lol.

First entry - any other takers?

I guess I'll have to calculate it now as well. ho hum....

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 16th November 2018, 10:49   #35
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
First entry - any other takers?

I guess I'll have to calculate it now as well. ho hum....
Do we know the type of head on the screw? Or do we assume it to be 6 sided . And assume the threads to be free from swarf and corrosion lol.

I am not even going to look for my scientific calculator, never mind trig tables.

Old 16th November 2018, 11:11   #36
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Do we know the type of head on the screw? Or do we assume it to be 6 sided . And assume the threads to be free from swarf and corrosion lol.

I am not even going to look for my scientific calculator, never mind trig tables.

I was thinking hex-headed.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 16th November 2018, 12:15   #37
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I was thinking hex-headed.
Just doing a bit of reading at this. Not going to find an answer to be honest though. However, what is the material of the screw, and will it be dry or lubricated? If lubricated, what spec the oil lol

Old 16th November 2018, 16:38   #38
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Just doing a bit of reading at this. Not going to find an answer to be honest though. However, what is the material of the screw, and will it be dry or lubricated? If lubricated, what spec the oil lol

Yep, would you like to discuss whether this changes the torque being applied or the torque that should be applied to apply the required clamping pressure of the bolt.....

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 16th November 2018, 16:57   #39
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Logic View Post

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 17:12   #40
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Yep, would you like to discuss whether this changes the torque being applied or the torque that should be applied to apply the required clamping pressure of the bolt.....

well............... using sae 30 oil will reduce the torque (effort) required by approx 40% and the clamping pressure is approx 10% if the screw is made from some version of stainless steel ........................................ apparently lol

but that was what I had started to read about earlier (I was in work, and couldnt spend a lot of time reading through it lol) . There was a formula that I am not sure would have been relevant, but when I was using it, with the figures you presented above, I worked it out to be 0.008 Nm of torque. So I think I did it wrong lol (it was an imperial based formula though)

Last edited by clf; 16th November 2018 at 17:34..