Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th November 2018, 19:42   #1
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Default Rain getting in somewhere ?

Have a rain leak on the Tourer that drips directly down onto top of sat nav unit behind drivers side rear access cover.
Only happens after steady rain for a while. Water collects at the joint between outer rear quarter panel and the inner panel it is fixed to,see pic taken looking up from where sat nav unit and it's mounting bracket live. Has anyone else had this happen and know exactly where the rain water gets in ? Am guessing it's rear quarter window seal leaking somewhere but not sure
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 19:48   #2
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Here's what I found inside sat nav unit after,I guess,years of rainwater dripping on it.
Have cleaned this up with electrical parts cleaner but won't refit it until i've stopped leak
Old 26th November 2018, 12:07   #3
Steve2016
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hello. I have a similar problem on my Tourer. It's quite variable in that sometimes heavy rain has no effect but a short shower causes a large leak. Much more comes in on the passenger side than the driver's. I spent hours trying to find where it comes in (using a little indoor watering can) and watching for drips. I have eliminated just about every potential entry point around the top of the tailgate aperture (where the hinges attach). Other posters suggested poor caulking in the welded joints between the roof and rear quarter panels, underneath the black trim strip along where the roof bars attach. I removed the last few inches of this strip (behind the rear roof bar mount) but could see no evidence of gaps or leaks.

I suspect it comes in further forward, perhaps via the roofbar bolt holes. Not wishing to remove the roofbars, I've accepted it coming in and via a cunning Blue Peter style arrangement of plastic sheet, duck tape and food containers I collect most if not all of the water that comes in. Periodically I have to empty the container but it's much better than a wet boot.

I can provide pictures and more detail of my collection system if you like. It's not pretty, but it sits fully behind the removable side trim panel - and it works!

Hpoe this helps,
Steve
Steve2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 22:50   #4
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I have a leak like this that means I've had to take the CD changer out, pretty sure it's the sunroof drains.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 10:04   #5
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2016 View Post
Hello. I have a similar problem on my Tourer. It's quite variable in that sometimes heavy rain has no effect but a short shower causes a large leak. Much more comes in on the passenger side than the driver's. I spent hours trying to find where it comes in (using a little indoor watering can) and watching for drips. I have eliminated just about every potential entry point around the top of the tailgate aperture (where the hinges attach). Other posters suggested poor caulking in the welded joints between the roof and rear quarter panels, underneath the black trim strip along where the roof bars attach. I removed the last few inches of this strip (behind the rear roof bar mount) but could see no evidence of gaps or leaks.

I suspect it comes in further forward, perhaps via the roofbar bolt holes. Not wishing to remove the roofbars, I've accepted it coming in and via a cunning Blue Peter style arrangement of plastic sheet, duck tape and food containers I collect most if not all of the water that comes in. Periodically I have to empty the container but it's much better than a wet boot.

I can provide pictures and more detail of my collection system if you like. It's not pretty, but it sits fully behind the removable side trim panel - and it works!

Hpoe this helps,
Steve
Hi Steve,think my leak onto sat nav drive unit is from around the rear quarter window seal on my Tourer,just checked and the bin liner I have over it at mo has few drops of water on it after last nights rain.
Have some Capt Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure leak fixer to inject around rubber window seal when I get time and get a dry day to see if that cures that leak
Old 28th November 2018, 10:07   #6
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
I have a leak like this that means I've had to take the CD changer out, pretty sure it's the sunroof drains.
No sunroof in my Tourer mate so that's one less place rain can be getting in !
Also leaking into spare wheel well from somewhere around bottom part of tailgate seal. Further investigation needed as to where this second leak comes from
Old 28th November 2018, 13:57   #7
Steve2016
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Mine has no sunroof either but it is incredible where water gets in and the route it takes before it shows itself. I originally assumed my leak was from the window rubber seal as the drips were from directly underneath it. However, pouring gallons of water onto this area of the glass produced no leak at all and a few weeks with duck tape around the rear quarter window edges did not stop the ingress. Pouring water onto the roof and into the roofbar mount channel (avoiding the window) did produce drips within a few seconds. Not saying yours is the same source as mine, it's just that the symptoms seem to be the same.

I sometimes get water in the spare wheel well as well. I suspect some of it comes from the same source as the drips under the rear quarter window, but sometimes it takes a sneaky route, down inside the rear pillar, under the false boot floor and into the well. This has reduced significantly however after I taped over all the holes in the metalwork behind the rear lights.

Finally, some water comes in via the rubber tailgate aperture seal. My theory is that it gets in at the top corners where it has lost its springiness then runs down the INSIDE and pools in the bottom corners. I instigated a cunning plan to reduce this effect by using sticky tape to form deflectors around the top and side edges of the tailgate just outboard of the seal, preventing the drips running round and past the seal. It works mostly. Might have been easier to replace the seal, but not as much fun and far less ingenious!
Steve2016 is offline   Reply With Quote