topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 19:25   #42
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Those that have their own drive don't get a discount on Council Tax if they park on it, and again, nobody actually has a legal right to stop on a road.

A neighbour near me has a white line across her driveway, but another neighbour who was parked on it, complained that he would then have to park elsewhere and then bring his children to their house - obviously that original neighbour's "fault".
Just curious but------in two posts now you say nobody has a legal right to stop on a road.

Do you forcibly eject any passengers you might have whilst on the move ???------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 19:38   #43
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
To tell you why would lead to a whole new debate

macafee2
Oh please don’t do that Ian - I lose the will to live reading some of his dross.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 19:53   #44
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Just curious but------in two posts now you say nobody has a legal right to stop on a road.

Do you forcibly eject any passengers you might have whilst on the move ???------
This has been VERY tempting over the years.
Old 17th April 2019, 20:33   #45
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Oh please don’t do that Ian - I lose the will to live reading some of his dross.

Yet you read - perhaps for a bit of education?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 20:48   #46
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

Yet you read - perhaps for a bit of education?
Most certainly - as it is mistakes that teach us right from wrong. I do find it hard reading them - but your posts are usually an excellent example of getting it wrong.

Education is not about blind obedience and blind respect

It is about “learning” - respect has to be earned

Failure teaches more self respect than anything else I know.
Old 17th April 2019, 21:56   #47
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

In my case,i live in a small town on my terraced street there is O.A.P. bungalows about ten in number three of us have cars,the other spaces are taken up by overflow of the other side of the street,families with 3/4 cars. At the end of the street there is a free car park for about 20 cars. Nobody thinks it's safe to leave their cars there.Between the car park and street there is a Gym about 20yds from the car park,youngsters using the Gym park on the pavement outside of door too lazy to walk 20yds. I have mentioned to the owner that there at least 3 wheelchair users in the street who have to go onto the road to get pass. So far been totally ignored.
Gone are the days when we could play football and tennis in the street.
I blame that chap who invented the wheel.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 22:01   #48
daveycooper
Avid contributor

75 Saloon

I’m a local authority highways officer/engineer. Unfortunately someone has to be!

A few points to clarify:

Highway law is notoriously full of grey areas. Parking on a footway is not an offence unless you are causing an obstruction or there is a specific parking ban as per areas of London. An obstruction offence can only be enforced by a police officer and what constitutes an offence is at their discretion. I believe powers for council officers to enforce such matters are due (or may be in place already) in some areas: apologies I’m not certain as it’s been a few years since I was in the traffic team.

Whilst footway parking ‘may’ not be an offence, riding a motorised car over it is an offence. Most perculier

New residential developments typically have 2 parking spaces. Why not more? Well, that’s mainly because the houses are packed in and there simply isn’t the space.

A typical road carriageway is between 4.8m and 5.5m wide. Why can you rarely park on-street when you turn up at new developments? Well, if everyone has double driveways across their frontage, there simply isn’t the space. Most houses these days are barely wider than a double driveway. The width of the road carriageway for parking capacity is therefore, generally, irrelevant.

Right, that’s enough.....I’m meant to be relaxing on this forum, not doing work related nonsense!
daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 22:14   #49
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycooper View Post
I’m a local authority highways officer/engineer. Unfortunately someone has to be!

A few points to clarify:

Highway law is notoriously full of grey areas. Parking on a footway is not an offence unless you are causing an obstruction or there is a specific parking ban as per areas of London. An obstruction offence can only be enforced by a police officer and what constitutes an offence is at their discretion. I believe powers for council officers to enforce such matters are due (or may be in place already) in some areas: apologies I’m not certain as it’s been a few years since I was in the traffic team.

Whilst footway parking ‘may’ not be an offence, riding a motorised car over it is an offence. Most perculier

New residential developments typically have 2 parking spaces. Why not more? Well, that’s mainly because the houses are packed in and there simply isn’t the space.

A typical road carriageway is between 4.8m and 5.5m wide. Why can you rarely park on-street when you turn up at new developments? Well, if everyone has double driveways across their frontage, there simply isn’t the space. Most houses these days are barely wider than a double driveway. The width of the road carriageway for parking capacity is therefore, generally, irrelevant.

Right, that’s enough.....I’m meant to be relaxing on this forum, not doing work related nonsense!
Driving on the pavement is certainly a “no no” - and I can see why a car parked on the pavement is not anything like such a danger to pedestrians

So how do I get my car onto the pavement now that my wand is broken?

Can you confirm that parking over someone’s drop curb is an offence? We tried to point this out to a mobile hairdresser lady who visited a neighbour without any success.

In the end we “cured” her of her unsociable behaviour by parking my Discovery Bumper to Bumper at the front and my son’ Isuzu Crew cab Bumper to Bumper at the back.

Then we went in to have our tea and watch the news. Emmerdale was riviting that night as well.
Old 18th April 2019, 06:45   #50
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Can you confirm that parking over someone’s drop curb is an offence? We tried to point this out to a mobile hairdresser lady who visited a neighbour without any success.

In the end we “cured” her of her unsociable behaviour by parking my Discovery Bumper to Bumper at the front and my son’ Isuzu Crew cab Bumper to Bumper at the back.

This came up recently in a legal group and if I understood correctly..

You can only be charged with an offence if there is a vehicle being blocked into the drive. There is no offence in parking across a drive if there is no vehicle blocked into the drive. Either way, it does have to have an official dropped kerb - as one unfortunate found in Hull, when there vehicle was blocked in their 'drive', by the council installing new bollards across the 'drive' entrance. No official dropped kerb it is not a drive entrance.

You can be charged with obstruction, if you deliberately block a vehicle in by parking a vehicle tight up to it at each end.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 18th April 2019 at 07:22..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote