Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th April 2019, 04:39   #31
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Those that have their own drive don't get a discount on Council Tax if they park on it, and again, nobody actually has a legal right to stop on a road.

A neighbour near me has a white line across her driveway, but another neighbour who was parked on it, complained that he would then have to park elsewhere and then bring his children to their house - obviously that original neighbour's "fault".

What's council tax got to do with anything?

No one has the right to stop in the road, I'll remember that the next time the lights turn red

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 07:42   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
He finished with "I trust that this allays your concerns and hopefully you will support us on 2nd May." What do you think?

We had a similar problem, commuters cars blocking our local roads all day whilst their owners caught the trains and buses. I helped campaign for a single line operable from 10am to 1pm, it entirely solved our problem near the station, but moved the problem further out. Further out, they campaigned for a residents only parking scheme which I objected to and suggested our single yellow line system would be more suitable, which was what they did.

The further out the problem is moved, the more inclined the car owners become to leave their cars at home and walk. So it does certainly work.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 07:47   #33
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilzin View Post
I had occasion to contact the local police to report a car totally on the pavement close to my house, requiring me to assist a wheelchair user onto the roadway to get past it.

When the young female PCSO arrived she told me...and I quote " if there's nobody trying to get past a pavement parked car...it's not an obstruction" ... REALLY ?

I was then treated to the admission that she had become a PCSO for "the buzz" and nothing else.

Still awaiting a reply from the Wiltshire PCC ...maybe one day ?

My understanding is that there is no offence committed by a vehicle being parked on the pavement, the offence is one of driving a motor vehicle on the pavement.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 17th April 2019, 08:36   #34
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
It is always nice to read a well thought out constructive reply, it is a shame yours does not match that criteria.
Thank you Ian - I am glad you like it!

Quote:
How many cars are an acceptable number for a household?
Laws of physics would suggest equal to or less than the number of private parking spaces.

Quote:
Does it matter how many cars there are at a household as long as they can store them all on their own property as well as visitors cars?
Yes - the number of cars owned should equal or be less than the number of private parking spaces that the property owner/occupier has paid for and is paying property tax on as part of his/her property.

Quote:
Also you need to consider the practical reasons for using ones own car and not public transport.

I use to use public transport for getting to and from work. 20 minutes by car, an hour using public transport. I also had to fit in with the times of public transport which may not have been convenient.
The majority of people using cars around towns and cities are doing so purely out of choice and convenience despite there being viable public transport. I agree that is not the case for many rural communities.

Quote:

Car ownership has increased but parking at new houses has decreased.

macafee2
Exactly - this is the root cause of the problem that needs to be tackled - increasing affordability of cars including multiple ownership per household.

Quote:
So many new builds have parking for only 2 cars at best and so when visitors come parking becomes an issue. Where my sister lives, she has parking for 1, where do her visitors park? Another new build estate with parking problems

macafee2
There are far bigger issues concerning housing strategy than the number of private car parking spaces e.g. providing affordable housing for people on lower incomes of which there are increasing numbers!

The single largest cost in the overall cost of a the majority of houses is the land - the obvious solution to the problem of social housing is to build as many as possible residential properties on the limited land available rather than building fewer properties able to accommodate 2+ cars each.

If we are going to attempt social engineering through planning and development, then it needs to solve the core problems not ones associated with over indulgence.

P.S. In my experience most estates have "high-end" houses with 4 or more off-road parking places. Why does your daughter not move into such a place in order to accommodate her visitors?

Last edited by MSS; 17th April 2019 at 09:40..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 08:50   #35
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

I would suggest, when builders are designing new housing estates that they put in decent width roads first then see how many houses they can build.
I am sure they put in the minimum road they can get away with to maximise the number of houses.
Terry
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 09:15   #36
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Those that have their own drive don't get a discount on Council Tax if they park on it, and again, nobody actually has a legal right to stop on a road.

A neighbour near me has a white line across her driveway, but another neighbour who was parked on it, complained that he would then have to park elsewhere and then bring his children to their house - obviously that original neighbour's "fault".

My views on parking have been formed based on my experience of areas not far from you - Hounslow/Heston/Cranford. I recently counted the number of cars on a residential road per household at 2.5 whereas the number of parking places (including on one side of the road) is 1.7 per household. So the 0.8 cars per household are parked on children's play areas that were grassed but turn into mud during the winter and on the other side of the road thus blocking the road to delivery vehicles, refuse collection lorry etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryf View Post
I would suggest, when builders are designing new housing estates that they put in decent width roads first then see how many houses they can build.
I am sure they put in the minimum road they can get away with to maximise the number of houses.
Terry

The question still remains - who is going to pay the increased cost of such housing?

Last edited by MSS; 17th April 2019 at 09:41..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 11:33   #37
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Some councils have actually marked parking areas. Half on the road and half on the pavement.

Seems, at the moment, to be working for everybody.
Yes - they have this in Twickenham - it works well with the help of clear marking.

It’s obvious that without such a compromise no one on one side of the road would be able to park outside their house!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 11:46   #38
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Where my son and daughter in law live in Brighton only street parking is available. Up to a year or so ago the situation was horrendous as it was a free for all as visitors and commuters could park for free. Leaving residents at a disadvantage.

They now have a Residents Parking Permit system which works very well indeed. They are allowed a number of free “visitor” slots that they simply book online so we can park.

What a difference this system makes to the area.

Residents should have first priority.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 16:23   #39
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Emailed in support of a pavement parking ban, except where it is completely unavoidable..

I have had an email reply back from them, asking if they could include my submission as evidence for the committee - I have replied yes..

Old 17th April 2019, 17:16   #40
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Thank you Ian - I am glad you like it!

Laws of physics would suggest equal to or less than the number of private parking spaces.

Yes - the number of cars owned should equal or be less than the number of private parking spaces that the property owner/occupier has paid for and is paying property tax on as part of his/her property.

The majority of people using cars around towns and cities are doing so purely out of choice and convenience despite there being viable public transport. I agree that is not the case for many rural communities.

Exactly - this is the root cause of the problem that needs to be tackled - increasing affordability of cars including multiple ownership per household.

There are far bigger issues concerning housing strategy than the number of private car parking spaces e.g. providing affordable housing for people on lower incomes of which there are increasing numbers!

The single largest cost in the overall cost of a the majority of houses is the land - the obvious solution to the problem of social housing is to build as many as possible residential properties on the limited land available rather than building fewer properties able to accommodate 2+ cars each.

If we are going to attempt social engineering through planning and development, then it needs to solve the core problems not ones associated with over indulgence.

P.S. In my experience most estates have "high-end" houses with 4 or more off-road parking places. Why does your daughter not move into such a place in order to accommodate her visitors?
To tell you why would lead to a whole new debate

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote