Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd September 2020, 11:49   #111
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I foresee parking limitations on the horizon for some urban private car owners ,if you don't have a dedicated off road parking place you will have to use designated car parks/parking schemes away from the front of your home.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:44   #112
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I foresee parking limitations on the horizon for some urban private car owners ,if you don't have a dedicated off road parking place you will have to use designated car parks/parking schemes away from the front of your home.
Well, solutions do need to be found. I sympathise with those with only one car to the household and no off road parking, but no sympathy at all for those with multiple cars obstructing the roads.

I cannot see the designated car parks idea working in many places, because there just are not enough of them and none at all in some areas. They would need to be built and built with the charging points necessary for the EV's.

Those that we do have, will have to have charging points installed.

The one good thing to come out of this C-19, is that many more people have realised they have got legs to walk on and they don't need to drive absolutely everywhere.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:47   #113
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

In Japan, you are not allowed to own a car unless you have off-road parking for it, although I don't believe that you are forced to use it! Wouldn't like to go that far, but I do wonder why some folk buy a house with little or no parking when they own multiple cars before they move in. A ban on pavement parking would merely move the problem, although it just might make people think whether they need a car - might suit the authorities and the green lobby, but then where does the Government revenue come from?

I would , however, like to see a ban on verge parking. Verges are there for a purpose, usually to house utility services, which are easier to access under grass than tarmac, and easier to reinstate tidily.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:17   #114
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I see both sides of the problem where I live. Parking on the pavement is a real issue and I see mothers with prams, old people, and I must now add me to that category, wheelchair users, all forced into the road. For these reasons I am personally totally for the ban. Our safety comes first.

On the other side I understand why people park on the pavements. I have a drive and garage so fortunate. Some houses have rear access to a garage and parking space, or two spaces, others are built around squares with separate ltd parking with garages in separate blocks. Built in the early 60s very up to date and adequate for the times. The road is narrow and has bends and kinks that together with the parking issues makes it impossible to get clear views of the road which in itself causes driver rage when two cars meet and nobodies going to back up. We are all more affluent and most of these houses now have two or more cars.

Across the road the houses have a road to the rear where parking for two vehicles is available. One house has four cars so one is always parked across from my driveway, on the pavement. Next door has three so again one is parked over the road on the pavement. Next door to that is a young couple the daughter of a friend. They have one car a garage and car port at the rear but never use them. The car is parked at the front, on the pavement. And this goes on up the road with the worse situation around the houses in the squares where the garages are not used and the available off road areas are full. The result fire engines not able to get through, traffic regularly having to reverse and driveways blocked. I have to add that pavement parking is not done by the square dwellers but the road width restrictions means visitors to the houses opposite such as deliveries taxis etc. are forced onto the pavements but still block the road.

If the cars across from us parked in the road then we will have great difficulty getting on to our drives, in fact at some times it is impossible to reverse in, its just too tight and I'm forced onto my lawn. To drive in is easier but then I have no view of the road due to the bends and parking to reverse out, so dangerous.

So what is the answer, if this is brought in the situation will not improve where I live, people will not park elsewhere as they will have to walk and they will not get rid of their cars. Would you?
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:35   #115
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

I would love to see what they say about what I do........ All my car on the drive and one always over hangs onto the path. If I park cars in the 'visitor' parking over the road ive had people complain. park one fully on the path I had people complain, I park it on the road infront of my house ive had people complain. so what do I do?
Old 4th September 2020, 17:32   #116
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Perhaps get one shorter car.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 19:31   #117
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

" Im all right Jack "and I will park my car where I want regardless of obstructing the highway for those who need to travel along the road including emergency service vehicles. Ownership of a car brings responsibilities, as well as rights Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2020, 10:31   #118
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
" Im all right Jack "and I will park my car where I want regardless of obstructing the highway for those who need to travel along the road including emergency service vehicles. Ownership of a car brings responsibilities, as well as rights Chris.S.
There is one dipstick lives not too far from here, lives adjacent to a primary school. The coach picking the kids up has to park on the narrow road he lives, whilst picking them up, on the zig-zags. All along the road, opposite the school and his house, is a long marked bay for resident only parking. He has a Transit and an empty drive he could easily park in, but where does he insist on parking?

On the road, at the end of his drive, where the council omitted to put a yellow line down. Between the legally parked cars in the residents bay and his Transit, there is just enough space to squeeze a fairly narrow car between. The school coach driver has to risk reversing back out, to a narrow T junction, to turn around.

The road is on my route when coming home towing my caravan, only to find the gap is too narrow and I have to reverse back with the caravan 50 yards and use a different route home, which then leaves me struggling, facing the wrong way in my street, to get car and caravan back up my drive without a lot of unnecessary faff.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2020, 10:50   #119
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
There is one dipstick lives not too far from here, lives adjacent to a primary school. The coach picking the kids up has to park on the narrow road he lives, whilst picking them up, on the zig-zags. All along the road, opposite the school and his house, is a long marked bay for resident only parking. He has a Transit and an empty drive he could easily park in, but where does he insist on parking?

On the road, at the end of his drive, where the council omitted to put a yellow line down. Between the legally parked cars in the residents bay and his Transit, there is just enough space to squeeze a fairly narrow car between. The school coach driver has to risk reversing back out, to a narrow T junction, to turn around.

The road is on my route when coming home towing my caravan, only to find the gap is too narrow and I have to reverse back with the caravan 50 yards and use a different route home, which then leaves me struggling, facing the wrong way in my street, to get car and caravan back up my drive without a lot of unnecessary faff.
For the past few years, I have timed my departure and return home with the caravan to suit neither me nor the distance I'll be travelling, but the best time of day to have half a chance of getting it onto and off the road. Leave after 9.00am and get home before 3.00pm, as the roads around me are flooded with school run vehicles, followed by the "got a drive but can't be bothered to use it" brigade when they come home from work. It is noticeable during the current working situation that more cars aren't going out to work. The dustbin men have an increasingly difficult time accessing the wheelie bins because of inconsiderate parking.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 19:10   #120
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Oh er Missus! Latest update on pavement parking is that the analysis is now complete & they're just waiting on a ministerial decision, It's been narrowed down to two options.

Ministers are considering whether to create a civil obstruction offence or implement a national ban, which could extend restrictions already in place in London across the country.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote