Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th April 2015, 09:23   #21
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
As I've said previously, if SAIC hadn't "bought" the MG Brand and badged the cars as SAIC's (which is what they are) they wouldn't even be mentioned on this Forum!.....
You're right. I mean why would they keep such a brand alive? why would they use British designers and employ British workers? It should be British only or nothing. MG should be dead so only enthusiasts ever get hold of the older models and the younger generation lose out.

Unfortunately the world moves on. We all know many don't accept the brand as it is now, which is ironic as we know the classic lovers never accepted the Zeds.

I for one am glad MG lives on. I have seen new enthusiasts come from buying a 6 and 3 and that's refreshing.
Alan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 16:51   #22
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Good luck to them I say whatever's it's called its giving British workers a job in design and building them. Still early days yet . look how well Landrover are going under new ownership. BMW never wanted MGR to work they just wanted the mini . As with a lot of things companies buy British take the good ideas close it remove the competition.

Last edited by woolleysox; 15th April 2015 at 16:53..
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 20:09   #23
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Go on, complain a bit more, shout out how rubbish MG cars are... Isn't that exactly why MG folded in the early 80's... Or was it the mid 70's when they fitted a Triumph engine in the Midget? ... Anything since has been pure badge engineering. And how could anything designed or assembled in Britain be any good?
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 11:26   #24
Kernowchristoff
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur Se hi line Mk 1 115 CDT

Default Clarify

To Clarify

Back in 1994 when BMW bought the then Rover Group from British aerospace they just wanted Land Rover however they were told they had to buy "the loss making car part as well".

The Plan was to do with Rover is what VW did with Skoda and to help BMW being taken over from a bigger rival however as we all know it didn't work out that way. I wont go on because its all been done and dusted.

Cheers people
Kernowchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 14:10   #25
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Didn't BMW only buy Rover for the plans to build a 4x4 axle for their BMW X5, hence needing Land Rover?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 14:15   #26
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I doubt it. It's more to try and create VW did by creating a rival to VAG. But didn't work out.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 11:00   #27
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Some interesting - if somewhat misguided comments.

I entered the realms of MGR ownership in 2004, when I bought a R75 It was 8 months old. Just a plain, boring NASP 1.8. After a few weeks I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Too slow, too soft, and an engine overheating issue had reared it's ugly head.

I part exchanged it for a MG ZS110. That's the 1600cc, once I'd run it in, a very good engine and a hoot to drive enthusiastically, but the suspension was far too hard for badly maintained roads round here (and everywhere!), so that went.

I ended up with a ZT190. This was 2005. I found it a perfect mix between the R75 & ZS comfort wise. Somewhat underpowered though (yes, everything was working how it should). I had it remapped, stainless exhaust, K&N air filter, but it would never set the road on fire, but I was happy enough with it. I also bought a ZR - diesel. I tinkered with that (uprated injectors & remap). What a pocket rocket that was Wonderful car - which I still miss. But I traded that in for the SLK350 I bought.

I liked the look of the MG6 when it was launched, but like many others, the press reviews put me off a bit, and when I went to look at one in the flesh, I kind of agreed, but IMO it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the press made out.

The new MG6 face lift duly arrived. Only a diesel, but a punchy unit with tons of torque. I went to my local dealer for a look. I checked out the TL (top of the range). I was quite surprised just how good the interior now is. Also, for the price, and what you get as standard was simply amazing value. It has just about everything you could want. I bought one. Traded in my ZT & SLK, and after a week & 500 miles I am delighted with it. Even the centre console cubby box is air conditioned - good for keeping drinks cold!

All the toys you could wish for. Incredibly comfortable. At 70mph, you can barely hear the engine, just a bit of wind & road noise, although when accelerating hard you know you're driving a diesel. Averaging over 60mpg as well.

The only 2 gripes I have are: no rear wash/wiper. I'm not a fan of electronic parking brakes - give me an old fashioned manual one any day!

Whenever the next meet is in Thrybergh, work permitting, I'll bring it over, I think it'll surprise a lot of people.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 13:24   #28
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Just reading Auto Express, & their Driver Power survey puts the MG brand in 4th position, down from 3rd, with owners apparently loving their cars So, take no notice of press reports, the owners like them
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 13:46   #29
willshot
Posted a thing or two

Ex-ZI190 owner. ,Ford Focus RS

Glad your pleased with your MG6, Paul. I looked at a couple at MG Northumbria and I have to say the updated ones look OK. Shame there isn't a decent colour choice, red, white, black and disappointing grey.
willshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 11:20   #30
normanmg2000

MG MAESTRO TURBOx3, 2-mg 1600s,rover brm,mgzs 180,mg3,mg zt-t se auto

I bought an mg6 [12 months old] about 2 years ago, excellent car,would have it still now but for being illegal on towing weights [bought a caravan],so changed to mg3 for wife and a zt-t for towing the mg3 is also a very good little car,my mg6 was petrol really liked it ,take no notice of doom mongers try for yourselves is my opinion.