Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2016, 19:37   #11
chubbygordito

MG ZT

What oil grade is best? I've seen various threads that recommend different grades to cure the tapping noise.
chubbygordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 22:10   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

10W40 is recommended by MGR for your ZT 190 William. You've said that you believe that your tapping noise is from the VIS system, and the grade of oil is irrelevant to that. The threads which you've read I imagine will be referring to noisy hydraulic tappets, and that's why I suggested a course of flushing oil, but such contamination usually results in noise at idle, particularly from a cold start, and you haven't reported that.

Simon
Old 10th May 2016, 06:04   #13
chubbygordito

MG ZT

Another update, its tipped down with rain here, first rain in over a week....and the tapping has gone!

Does the kv6 engine have a crank pulley with a rubber damper??

Thinking back, I used to have a Fiat Stilo diesel that used to tap under load, and only in the dry. It was the crank pulley, the rubber damper had started to perish, and whenever it rained it stopped tapping.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:03   #14
chubbygordito

MG ZT

Another update....and I'm beginning to think I'm looking at two different noises.

So this afternoon, in the dry, gently accelerated in 1st gear, at around 4k rpm, heard a loud "tapping", constant rhythm.

Took it up to 6k rpm in 3rd gear, could hear a tapping/rattling noise, changed to 5th but stayed at same speed, and the noise stayed constant, less noisy, but no change in speed.

So, I was assuming it increased with rpm....which I'm sure one sound does.....possibly vis motor, but the loud tapping/rattling appears to be related to road speed, however gets worse when engine at higher rpm.

This afternoon it tipped down with rain again, and the noise got quieter, although still there....maybe a slightly more rattling with no real pattern.....still in line with road speed rather than rpm.

I suppose the next thing will be to check the cv joint?? The boot looks okay.....but possibly when its got drive going through the joint, it starts skipping inside?? And at higer rpm there's more power being transmitted?

Last edited by chubbygordito; 10th May 2016 at 16:05..