Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 17th November 2007, 18:42   #1
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Default That house in Margate

Last edited by Tatts; 22nd December 2007 at 20:00..
Old 17th November 2007, 18:45   #2
tourerfogey
Banned

Would you be able to sell it if you didn't want to live in it?
Old 17th November 2007, 18:48   #3
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

The Wests house was pulled down by the local authorities after Fred and Rose West were convicted. The Margate house would be difficult to do that as its part of a terrace if I remember correctly?

No if it were mine I would find it very difficult to live in and if I were looking to buy a house in Margate that one would not be on my list
Old 17th November 2007, 18:50   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

It will be demolished, mid terrace or not, probably bought by local authority and turned into a memorial.
Very sad for all victims families and as said, current occupiers

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 17th November 2007, 18:56   #5
tourerfogey
Banned

Apparently, internal excavation of the property is to made next - drilling out the internal floors down to damp proof membrane. I would have thought that there would then be no option but to demolish what is left - Hope the current owners are adequately compensated - if indeed that is possible.
Old 17th November 2007, 19:36   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

The entire inside will be stripped of all Internal Walls, Cavities searched, chimneys checked, Roof space cleared and Floors all lifted and any Concrete scanned and drilled as required.
The West house and two others were demolished because of excessive Bids and Visitors who wanted it. The Value was double the Norm.
The Council or another department may well purchase them to prevent this.
Nothing as funny as Folk.
Old 18th November 2007, 08:04   #7
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
The West house and two others were demolished because of excessive Bids and Visitors who wanted it.
Hi John,

This is a real tragedy for the families and the current owner of the house - they must all be devastated.

If my memory serves me right, no bids were ever actually lodged on 25 Cromwell Street, though there were some 'enquiries'. The only other house demolished, Number 23, was bought in as straightforward a fashion as possible from the then owner. The amounts paid were not/will not be released, but believe me the local taxpayers got value for money.

The only unauthorised 'visitors' who got into the house did so via a break-in of number 23. Co-incidentally these visitors were complete with a professional film camera, the footage from which ended up used by the national and international media at the time!

23 and 25 were in the heart of bedsit land. This house is not which could make resolution an even bigger challenge for the local authorities.

Regards

Mike

ps in reply to stocktake I doubt a memorial would ever go up there. Nobody wanted one on the site in Gloucester.

Last edited by Mike; 18th November 2007 at 08:08..
Old 18th November 2007, 09:37   #8
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

The terrace dwellings are offset so demolish of one unit is structurally possible. The strength is in the sides. The roof and floor members will be going to the sides. Like before the DPM can be investigated quite easily to see if it has been replaces/disturbed so the internal damage should be minimal.

I can't see why the police need to remove internal walls unless they have evidence that there are indeed other bodies under the structure.

I can't see the owners going back, sad situation. Can't comprehend how these people can value life so cheaply.
Old 18th November 2007, 09:40   #9
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi John,

This is a real tragedy for the families and the current owner of the house - they must all be devastated.

If my memory serves me right, no bids were ever actually lodged on 25 Cromwell Street, though there were some 'enquiries'. The only other house demolished, Number 23, was bought in as straightforward a fashion as possible from the then owner. The amounts paid were not/will not be released, but believe me the local taxpayers got value for money.

The only unauthorised 'visitors' who got into the house did so via a break-in of number 23. Co-incidentally these visitors were complete with a professional film camera, the footage from which ended up used by the national and international media at the time!

23 and 25 were in the heart of bedsit land. This house is not which could make resolution an even bigger challenge for the local authorities.

Regards

Mike

ps in reply to stocktake I doubt a memorial would ever go up there. Nobody wanted one on the site in Gloucester.

Mike I would like to explain my comments fully,
but due to certain Acts and Conditions I am signed to, cannot.
Lets just say you would be so, so surprised.
Old 18th November 2007, 09:51   #10
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Mike I would like to explain my comments fully,
but due to certain Acts and Conditions I am signed to, cannot.
Lets just say you would be so, so surprised.
lol...as would you John