Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th November 2007, 06:42   #11
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora ZT-T View Post
Not a nice sentence to hear on the phone but glad all are fine.
How long had yo owned the 214 for? It looked as though it was a very clean example too & sad to see another gone! What happened?
A few years of ownership with this one, so I knew it really well, the engine was great, it would take anything you threw at it in it's stride. The bodywork was in remarkably good condition. 6k oil changes, bolts, brake lines all greased underneath etc everything worked as the day it left the factory.

From what I can gather he was travelling rapidly "about 60", upon approaching an s-bend he either braked to hard or misjudged the verge and mounted it, he hit an old stone bridge all at the same side, then carreered down an emabankment before turing upside down. He was lucky that the sides of the old bridge remained intact as there was a 10ft drop into a burn on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC123 View Post
My father drilled this sentence into me at an early age, and it has kept me out of the ditches for years...
"familiarity breeds contempt”
Yes agreed 100%.
In our area in and only in the radius of a couple of miles there have been a significant amount of carnage on the roads in the last one or two years. All local lads and lasses who knew the roads.............
Unfortunately I think you have to personnally experience events like these in life to learn that falling off the road is not good for you or your vehicle. When I started driving I had the benefit of less traffic on the roads, less chance of hitting something. I also started out on two wheels so I had a healthy respect for falling off by the time I changed to four wheels.

Last edited by Lovel; 19th November 2007 at 06:52.. Reason: clarity
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 11:43   #12
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

If they would build in some sort of skid awareness into the driving test - even make a run on a skid pan part of the test then maybe, just maybe some of these local hot heads might learn something. But, around here despite 3 young people being killed, the madness continues.

It is not helped by some of the rich parents simply going out and buying thier "little darling" a new car after they crashed that last one, in one case a young girl around here is on her third car When I crashed the family car back in 1982, the person that had to pay for everything was me. Even though the accident was not entirely my fault, my father thought it would be a good lesson.

I don't know what its like on the mainland, but we have young ones here that do thier tests in nissan micra's and the first car that daddy buys them is a Golf GTi there is even one young lady who got a Range Rover for her 17th birthday, her brother got a ferrari yes... I am jealous.

Oh, the Range Rover was put onto its roof 3 weeks later, and the ferrari was pulled for speeding last year and the chap was done for driving at 140. By cops in a skoda.