Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2007, 08:50   #1
Arthur Quantize
Loves to post

MY poor Rover is dead...

Question How to upgrade my current ICE install?

After obtaining my walnut clad British pride (aka Rover 75 Connoisseur SE) I immediately identified areas that I either wished to restore to their former beauty or improve for my own enjoyment. One area was the in-car entertainment system (ICE) which is far from what I require.

Unfortunately looking at the vehicle's history the satnav went pear shaped about 5,000 miles before I purchased it, shorting out and causing the battery to drain. It was therefore removed leaving me with just a tape deck and TV (alas no CD changer either), both of which are useless to me as I haven't used tapes in over 10 years and the TV doesn't display once you're moving; much to the distress of my wife!

I therefore thought, great, I'll remove the lot and donate it to the club, then replace it with a standard single-din head unit which has a digital tuner, plays CDs, and plays MP3s - even off a USB stick! But alas, good fascias are hard to come by (how much did someone have to drink to design the common off centre one?!) and expensive when found, plus I've now fallen in love with the present look and don't really want to loose the TV unit...

Ah-ha thought I, I can install a double-din unit which has a digital tuner, satnav, plays CDs, DVDs, MP3s, and probably even beer mats if you try, but I'm then looking at about £700 and it doesn't have a tuner and will it be compatible etc etc... but NO! I can't find double-din fascia adapters anywhere

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenw...3118ef18dbcb57

I've trawled the archives to my confusion, although have learned a lot, and now I've had my rant I wonder if any of you jolly good chaps can help me? Satnav isn’t essential but the missus now likes the idea of the TV unit so it looks like that to stay in some form or other.

I basically need to know:

1. Am I right in thinking on a 2003 Rover 75 I can’t bypass the built in restriction of the TV being off when you’re driving?

2. Is there a good replacement satnav unit that doesn't cost the earth that is compatible with the Rover 75 setup?

3. Is there a good cd-changer that would allow me to play MP3 CDs that also doesn't cost the earth that is compatible with the Rover 75 setup?

4. Is it possible to obtain a double-din fascia adapter which matches the Rover interior for less that £100 and without having to modify a cheap off centre one?

5. Would the present TV tuner be compatible with something like the Kenwood DNX-7200 if I was to remove the current head unit?

6. Does anyone have any technical info on the Rover set up such as wiring pin outs etc?

7. Have I forgotten something? (probably!)

Thanks once again to everyone, and sorry for so many questions
Arthur Quantize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 09:12   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

A couple of Quick answers for a few of your Questions.
Will check back later when I get in for further.

It is illegal to have the front TV monitor running when driving, and we as a club cold not recommend this, but you can bypass it and purchase leads for doing so on places like EBay.

You can play a DVD player through the head Unit using the AV Channel input.

All you may require is the Sat Nav Computer to make system work which come up fairly frequently on EBay again. Go for MK3 upwards for best results.

Re answer for point 7, sure to have.

CD players appear frequently from Les at SMC and for Sale section and some units from Sony can play MP3's and match system with a Connects2 adaptor.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 09:17   #3
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

What will Tourerfogey say when he discovers you have stolen his signature and used it as your avatar.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 10:51   #4
Arthur Quantize
Loves to post

MY poor Rover is dead...

Is it really his sig? .... oh bu66er! I hope he doesn't mind, perhaps I should change it....
Old 31st October 2007, 10:54   #5
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

Nah, wait to see if he notices.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 11:53   #6
Arthur Quantize
Loves to post

MY poor Rover is dead...

Ok, as long as I don't get a slap

Cheers for the info JDC, I'll have a look on eBay and see if there's anything about.

...blimey, I didn't realise that the full setup was worth so much!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-MG-ZT...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, is this the lead that I'd need?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/6042.html

A tad pricey I have to say. I know I've heard of two ways to 'reprogram' the earlier units but I can't remember where I saw them!

Last edited by Arthur Quantize; 31st October 2007 at 12:07..
Old 31st October 2007, 15:17   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

My god thats expensive.

I will have a look closer for cheaper ones for you, I use to make them up myself!!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 10:30   #8
Arthur Quantize
Loves to post

MY poor Rover is dead...

Surely there can't be much to the leads if they're just acting as a signal filter? If there are no ICs involved then I might be tempted to make my own (just the connector blocks I'd have to source though), and if there are then I'm sure Maplin or RF would stock them. Hmmm....

I've just checked for the satnavs on eBay again too, and am confused as to which one I need, so I'm going to have to figure out if I have an external GPS aeriel or not (it's a 2003 so I'd assume I'd need the BMW compatible version?)

Thanks once again JDC

Last edited by Arthur Quantize; 1st November 2007 at 10:41..
Old 1st November 2007, 12:28   #9
Arthur Quantize
Loves to post

MY poor Rover is dead...

I've just taken a look in my boot in order to fathom which satnav unit I need, and I think the polite way to put it is 'oh dear'...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1270a.jpg (93.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 1st November 2007, 15:37   #10
Simon
Banned

-

So they have just cut out the wires from the loom to remove the SatNav unit?! The little ********! That's not going to be easy to repair. Full wiring looms do come up occasionally on eBay but they aren't gonna be cheap I'm afraid to say.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote