Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th August 2014, 13:11   #1
onlyme1701
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Rover 75 Classic

Unhappy CDTi lots of white smoke...HELP!!

Hi all, I'm looking for some help with this one. I have just picked up a 04, 75 connie CDTi and its knocking out a hell of a lot of white smoke up to now I have changed the PCV filter, cleaned out the EGR valve, replaced the fuel filter, checked that both fuel pumps are working and replaced the injectors and still no joy. It sounds like a misfire on number 4 as when its running and you pull off the wires on top of the injectors 1 by 1 there is no change in engine tone when you pull number 4 off. I have since changed that injector again on the off chance it was a dud but still no joy checked all the wires back to the ECU all seem fine with no splits or breaks. The only thing I can think of at this point is HGF or a bent conrod as I have seen this before on a Transit 2.5Di I hope im wrong on that one...Can any one help?
onlyme1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 13:34   #2
bmw75

rover 75 tourer

ive recently purchased my first ever rover so am not familiar with common faults that's one of the reasons I joined the site but I am a hgv mechanic I usually find issues with white smoke are either water in the combustion chamber but some times if oil get into exhaust usually turbo related then this can give lots of white /grey, smoke hope this is of some use.
bmw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 13:37   #3
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

White smoke would indicate water vapour (steam), and i think i'm right in saying the only way for that to be happening would be water into the cylinder so would point to HGF. It's possible that you have just found the reason it was sold. It's very rare on our cars so maybe the previous owner tried to repair another problem and caused this one.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 14:38   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Dave
Do you know what grade of oil is in the car, is fuel passing into the sump ? as the air filter been changed is there a blockage in the air intake system, check all the emission hoses, also take off the MAP sensor and give it a clean with carb cleaner, have you tried unplugging the MAF sensor just a few thoughts it could well be none of them but worth eliminating

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 14:57   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Maybe time for a compression test? Also worth checking the fuel for contamination, or drain the tank and start with some fresh diesel.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 19:52   #6
onlyme1701
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Rover 75 Classic

Smile

Thanks for the input lads the white smoke hangs in the air and you can smell the fuel in it so its not steam as I was starting to think...Iv taken out the MAF cleaned it and still no joy, just to note it seem that pots 3 and 4 are down on fuel or the injector is not running right 3 is not as bad as 4. I traced the wires back to the ECU and it looks like 3 and 4 have a common wire so I have asked Rich to pop over when he can with his T4 to take a look at the ECU as when I run my diagnostic reader its telling me the there is "injector open circuit cylinder 3" dose any one know the values for the voltage on these as its showing 6v Plus
Old 12th August 2014, 20:14   #7
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

you could also try the intercooler pipes (Unlikely), check for any oil in the radiator tank (or a low level)
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 20:23   #8
onlyme1701
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Rover 75 Classic

Took them off tonight very little in the way of oil in there im glad to say
Old 12th August 2014, 22:17   #9
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

white smoke is generally a sign of misfire in a diesel/ incomplete combustion. This is not the same as too much fuel - i.e. black smoke due to particulates from excess diesel.

From my calibration days we used to map the misfire "line" based on the limit of timing where fuel could be injected without misfiring.

just googled to check my memory - see here for a broader discussion of different smoke from a diesel:

http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

White smoke is due to raw diesel in completely unburnt form being present in the exhaust gases...

Sooo this will be due to lack of correct timing OR lack of compression/insufficient air temperature due to lack of compression OR faulty/broken injector hosing fuel.

Water could also cause a lack of temperature - basically cooling the combustion down and preventing fuel burning.
Abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 22:26   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If the PVC was badly blocked, it can take weeks to clear the system of the oil build up, I had one that filled the exhaust with oil!