Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2016, 14:04   #1
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Default Dirty deeds done!

I've spent today under the bonnet getting absolutely filthy! I thought seeing as I've no way of knowing when they were last done, I'd do the pcv filter, o rings and give the egr a clean! What a horrible dirty job!!!
The guy I got the car off said he'd cleaned the egr out in December, well either he's a liar or this car produces a lot of gunge! It was absolutely caked up inside! After a good scrape and a soak in degreaser, it came up quite well. I also blocked the vacuum pipe off, so hopefully it shouldn't get anywhere near as bad again. I was going to get a proper bypass, but figure this should work just as well in the meantime. Is there any actual advantage of the proper egr bypass over just disabling the egr?
Then I moved onto the intercooler o rings, as I've been getting a little smoke on acceleration, and there's quite a bit of oily residue around that area. As expected, the bottom ring was missing, and after scooping it out, it was quite a bit bigger than it should've been, and the top one was also bigger than the new ones. Fingers crossed I got the pipe back in far enough, it bolted up OK, but I've read on here about how they can pop out of place if not pushed home well!
I also did the pcv filter, expecting it to be solid with oil, but actually it wasn't that bad, very black, but still soft and foamy, so I'm guessing it's been changed fairly recently.
Still, everything back together, and the car definitely seems to pull a little better, but that could be in my head! But at least I know that these horrible dirty jobs have now been done, now I just need to clean the black grime from my hands!!
Petrols are so much cleaner to work on!
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote