Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th July 2015, 14:03   #1
bigbaldbloke
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Connie SE Auto

Default Err, Umm, Wow. Thank God for Greeners.

As some of you know from this thread, my fan controls had been bypassed by a previous owner/"mechanic", leaving me with an ugly manual switch in the dash. After taking the bumper off, I could see the control box bypassed, and 4 wires hacked into just before they entered the fan casing. What I couldn't understand was why 2 of these wires were heavy gauge, but the other 2 were more like control signal cables. Well now we have the answer........

Greeners foolishly/bravely/suicidally offered to help me take the whole lot apart this morning, with the hope of sorting this bodge-job out. What we found was, err, different.

As posted in the above thread, the control box was outside of the fan unit, wedged between the fan and the intercooler pipe. So off came the fan today, and what did we see but.......

Yep, not one but 2 control boxes, with the dangly one sort of feeding the other.

Greeners worked his magic, and before you know it we had the arrangement in all its glory laid out in front of us.

So diesel and petrol control boxes, wired together along with a direct live from the cabin switch, and a new earth for good measure.

I'm delighted to say that, having looked at some of David's spares and a few photos, followed by a circuit diagram, we (i.e. Greeners) made the necessary adjustments to remove the petrol box and get the proper 2 wire, 2 speed config in place.

So Guinness World of Records - is this the first Rover 75 to have TWO control boxes? Most importantly, demist test works great, car reassembled and now for some on road testing.

Massive, massive respect to David for his awesome help and quality standards.

Kev
bigbaldbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 14:35   #2
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaldbloke View Post

So diesel and petrol control boxes, wired together along with a direct live from the cabin switch, and a new earth for good measure.

I'm delighted to say that, having looked at some of David's spares and a few photos, followed by a circuit diagram, we (i.e. Greeners) made the necessary adjustments to remove the petrol box and get the proper 2 wire, 2 speed config in place.

So Guinness World of Records - is this the first Rover 75 to have TWO control boxes? Most importantly, demist test works great, car reassembled and now for some on road testing.

Massive, massive respect to David for his awesome help and quality standards.

Kev
My mind was boggling with only one control box to contend with!
Now all you need to do is find something to wire up to the dash switch

Good job both.
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 15:17   #3
bigbaldbloke
Gets stuck in

That'll be my FBH override.
Old 18th July 2015, 18:00   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Well that was a first for me .......

What said mechanic had done, was instead of fitting a diesel fan, had bought a two speed petrol fan, having then worked out it's not plug and play they used the diesel control box to pick up a live, nailed a switch on the dash, and then fed the live into the petrol control box

I must thank spammy (aka Stocktake) for an excellent diagram

A pleasure to do it, and sort another bit of bodgery out
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 09:37   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi David.
Nice work I presume you have used the two wire 2 speed from the petrol fan, using the fan motor and it's two wires red and black then rewired it incorporating the gold resistor to the original diesel control box, doing some wiring changes in the diesel control box also.

Hopefully you also kept the relays from the petrol control box as they always come in useful.

I would not want to take my car to whomever did that bodge job for any sort of work, again well done cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 10:16   #6
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David.
Nice work I presume you have used the two wire 2 speed from the petrol fan, using the fan motor and it's two wires red and black then rewired it incorporating the gold resistor to the original diesel control box, doing some wiring changes in the diesel control box also.

Hopefully you also kept the relays from the petrol control box as they always come in useful.

I would not want to take my car to whomever did that bodge job for any sort of work, again well done cheers Arctic.
Steve

Yes basically took the two speed / two wire petrol fan, dumped the petrol control box, and rewired the diesel control box ala Dave's diagram, and away it went .....
Old 25th July 2015, 16:44   #7
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Well Kev's popping back to swap the red and slate round as there's an error in the drawing....
Old 25th July 2015, 17:21   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Well Kev's popping back to swap the red and slate round as there's an error in the drawing....

Red and Slate for some reason sometimes need to be exchanged, not sure why. but all that happens if this is the case is the high speed is energised instead of the low.

D...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 21:47   #9
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Red and Slate for some reason sometimes need to be exchanged, not sure why. but all that happens if this is the case is the high speed is energised instead of the low.

D...
Dave

TBH, we were so ecstatic that the fan was working on it's own (ie no manual over ride) we assumed it was correct....

Thinking about it, it might be correct.......but need to check or it'll eat the brushes in no time
Old 25th July 2015, 22:14   #10
bigbaldbloke
Gets stuck in

Plus you get a chance to hear the latest on National's attempts to sort my top mounts David......