Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th July 2015, 12:01   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Default V6 oil coolers

As seems to be the way this engine swap keeps giving me hassle.

My diner 190 engine was a very early car and had the older style oil cooler, but my current 190 has the newer style.

Now I can't be bothered changing subframe for the two front pipes but can anyone tell me that the oil coolers will swap over from one type two the other for 100%.

Dont want to waste time pulling it all apart to find it won't work.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 20:43   #2
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Hiya Colin. A couple of fine motors you have there.
I have recently performed the same engine swap.
I had a number of daft faults since I purchased the car last February. One of them was an overheating problem caused by the later oil cooler with the water pipes that run across the front of the sub on a couple of brackets. The coolant pipes were clogged with sediment from the coolant system. So rather than spend good money on a new pipe set, I removed the cooler and replaced it with a proper cooler and a stat.
As far as I know, if you have the thread holes in the front of the sump, you should be able to fit the plate oil cooler. Personally, I don't care for them very much. If you have one, make sure its a working one as they do sometimes corrode inside and mix the oil and water together. If you need another standard cooler I have a couple here!
I suppose really that whatever you do, it will entail removing the front bumper panel but once you've done it, its not all that much hassle.
here's a pic of my cooler before I piped it up to the stat, and then on to the engine.
Good luck with it. Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 18:54   #3
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Hi Colin,

The early type oil cooler is bolted to the sump by two bolts and the later cooler is bolted by three bolts. If you are using the later cooler you can change the sump from the damaged engine to your new engine and then it's just bolt it on to the sump or if you don't want to change the sumps over just make a new bracket to fit the cooler to the two bolt holes in the early sump.

Tom.