Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th November 2009, 14:51   #1
Chris K
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon Automatic Gold 68K

Default £700 ish - is this any good?

My 1.8T just blew head gasket

I'm quoted £700 ish - is this any good?
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 15:19   #2
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

yeah not bad to be honest- does that include the new style head gasket- (i.e. reinforced like freelander) and a head skim?
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 15:32   #3
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
yeah not bad to be honest- does that include the new style head gasket- (i.e. reinforced like freelander) and a head skim?
Hi, there are many threads which deal directly with the 1.8 hg try a search and read all the advice given would be my advice, as for the price well the sad fact is that garages i found have different labour prices and cant be curtain what you will pay in your part of he country a phone around and compare prices to see if they will beat each other on price maybe. anyway good luck.
Andrew.
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 16:20   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Give Lates a bell/PM for advice/Price.
A respected member on here.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 16:49   #5
jon75v6
Loves to post

mgzt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post

seems expensive to me, i would get other qoutes
this guy on ebay looks and sounds reasonable http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-200-400-...item2a01fa8bea
Old 12th November 2009, 18:00   #6
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post

Hi Jethro,
It depends on the quality of the repair.
Does the garage you intend using know the 1.8 engine inside out, i,e, understand the method of it's construction and is fully conversant with all the various tolerances and specification etc.
Have a read of the LINK shown below and if using this garage make sure that they at least use the Cylinder Head Modification Kit ZUA000080 available from X Part or any of their agents. It is also available through Land Rover Dealerships, as it was originally developed to overcome a much higher rate of Head Gasket failure, experienced by the 1.8, when installed in the L/R Freelander. http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=35570 4th Item down in the thread. I have also updated the said Link since it was first done, by including a few more points to be aware of.
Trust this is of assistance to you, but please do not be tempted take to any short cuts with the repair, as there is every good chance that you would be wasting your money.
Repair it properly and you should be set for many miles of trouble free motoring. High quality of workmanship accepted of course.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 13th November 2009 at 19:47..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 18:28   #7
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

when my top hose split and i thought the worse my guys quoted me £450 all in for the head gasket and to be sent to be skimmed.as luck would have it the previous owner must of had the mls gasket cos it was fine just needed a water pump and a tophose
Old 12th November 2009, 18:58   #8
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Only have the head skimmed if it needs it as unless you have cooked the engine it is unlikely to need a skim. imho if you have cooked it enough to warp it then it is scrap.

Skimming the k series is not a good move as it removes a layer of the hardened metal which then makes the HG more likely to fail again.

My previous 75 needed a HG at 90k. The garage who changed it checked the head was flat which it was so did not skim it thank goodness.

Good Luck.

E.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 18:58   #9
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
when my top hose split and i thought the worse my guys quoted me £450 all in for the head gasket and to be sent to be skimmed.as luck would have it the previous owner must of had the mls gasket cos it was fine just needed a water pump and a tophose
Hi Chris,
You were lucky there, as even the heavier MLS Gasket will be damaged if there is a severe lost of coolant. You must have caught it in time before any serious damage was done.
Due to the reletively low coolant capacity the designers decided upon, it is essential that a close eye is kept on the coolant level at all times.
As the 75's get that little bit older it is essential that regular checks are made on the condition of the whole cooling system.ie Radiator, all metal piping, hoses, metal and plastic connections (the famous T piece etc). Also check that the Coolant Filler Cap is in good working order, and not allowing Coolant to escape due to the built in pressure regulating spring having become weak. One other Item to keep an eye on is the Inlet Manifold Joint at the Cylinder Head. This Manifold is Coolant Heated to assist in the engine warm-up cycle. The joint was modified to a heavier material early on in the life of the 75 and in other versions of the 4 cylinder K Series engine.
The newer joint is thicker and Duck Egg Blueish in colour. So, if fitting a new joint at anytime in the future, please make sure it is the upgraded joint you use, as some of the older type joints may still be in circulation. Water Pumps also suffer leakage with age, so again keep watch. All this may sound a bit of a chore, but not really, and is time well spent to help ensure trouble free motoring in one of Britains finest cars and I thick one of the best Models to carry the name ROVER.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 13th November 2009 at 19:53..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 21:47   #10
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telferstr View Post
Hi Chris,
You were lucky there, as even the heavier MLS Gasket will be damaged if there is a severe lost of coolant. You must have caught it in time before any serious damage was done.
Due to the reletively low coolant capacity the designers decided upon, it is essential that a close eye is kept on the coolant level at all times.
As the 75's get that little bit older it is essential that regular checks are made on the condition of the whole cooling system.ie Radiator, all metal piping, hoses, metal and plastic connections (the famous T piece etc). Also check that the Coolant Filler Cap is in good working order, and not allowing Coolant to escape due to the built in pressure regulating spring having become weak. One other Item to keep an eye on is the Inlet Manifold Joint at the Cylinder Head. This Manifold is Coolant Heated to assist in the engine warm-up cycle. The joint was modified to a heavier material early on in the life of the 75 and in other versions of the 4 cylinder K Series engine.
New new joint is thicker and Duck Egg Blueish in colour. So if fitting a new joint at anytime in the future, make sure it is the upgraded joint you use, as some of the older joints may still be in circulation. Water Pumps also suffer leakage with age, so again keep watch. All this may sound a bit of a chore, but not really, and is time well spent to help ensure trouble free motoring in one of Britains finest cars.
Regards,
Telfer.

hi telfer i was seeing the red light come on and was taking it easy and heard the pipe pop so stopped left the car there and got it towed to garage .the fault with it was the previous owner had head gasket done water pump changed and a full service .his mechanic only put 4 of the 6 bolts in round the water pump so it was losing coolant .apart from i had no trouble with it .gave her a run to check it out and she purs along in the outside lane as you say its all about the maintance even if you dont do anything but check things ,that way you catch it when it is a easy fix before any damage is done ..i let my mechanic drive her yesterday as i had a full service on my other halfs 200 series and he loved it nearly had to fight him to get it back theres too much scare mongering going on about these cars a good mechanic should be able to sort one no trouble .troule is mechanics aint what they used to be there are only a few good ones left .you only has to say rover 75 and they then they just seem to pick a number from the air and see how you react .lol some pricies i have on here that people have been quote is just madness ,at the end of the day they are just cars ,lovely car that .

Last edited by chrissyboy; 12th November 2009 at 21:54..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote