Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st June 2016, 15:27   #11
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

I would start with the water issues first....

Make sure the plenum is clear and that it hasn't filled up and drowned the BCU which lives passenger side above the glove box V6 ECU's are well sealed so don't suffer in the same way diesels do.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 15:38   #12
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
I would start with the water issues first....

Make sure the plenum is clear and that it hasn't filled up and drowned the BCU which lives passenger side above the glove box V6 ECU's are well sealed so don't suffer in the same way diesels do.
The plenum is completely bone dry surprisingly, I was expecting it to be full of water, so the ECU is dry. I need to check all the fuses yet though, wondering if all the water could have caused fuses to blow.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 15:40   #13
Greeners

MG-ZTT

As its got a sunroof check for wet carpets, and the earth studs at the bottom of both A pillars behind the kick panels
Old 21st June 2016, 15:50   #14
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
As its got a sunroof check for wet carpets, and the earth studs at the bottom of both A pillars behind the kick panels
Thanks David I'll check the earths when I pull the carpet out, the interior is flooded as the sunroof drains have come off. The boot and interior floor on the passenger side was completely flooded.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 15:53   #15
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Get it dried out first before you start looking for faults
Old 21st June 2016, 17:20   #16
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Issue with the brakes - the brakes don't work at all due to being sat for 5 years, really have to stamp hard on the brakes and the pedal goes very low down. When the scrappy went to collect the car they said one rear calliper had seized. Would new brake disks and pads all round fix this or would callipers and other bits need replacing?
New discs and pads all round, plus a complete fluid change is probably a decent place to start. Relatively cheap and straightforward job that will need doing regardless. If it fixes it - great. If not then at least you've ruled it out (and one thing less to replace!)
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 17:50   #17
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Hi Rick
Looks OK.. Reminds when I bought a Peugeot 405 STi in very similar circumstances a few years ago although i do think the 405 had a bit more foliage growing on it, that car turned out to be one of the best I've ever owned
I kept it for 5 years spent very little on it and actualy sold it at a profit..
I think Tom H has a full set of calipers for sale which would be a good starting point for the brakes..
Cheers Ian
Old 21st June 2016, 20:55   #18
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Hi Rick,

Looks like an interesting prospect and a nice little project.

I've done similar work recommissioning Maestros (of all things!) that have been laid-up for a number of years. This was also usually due to elderly owners stopping driving for whatever reason.

My advice would be to assess the car thoroughly before you spend a penny on it. No point in fixing something that you're going to end up breaking for parts. Electrical gremlins aside, this means getting it up on a ramp and checking the underside for condition and also in this car's case taking all the carpets out and checking the floorpan for corrosion.

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestion or advice..

- Issue with the brakes..
You're going to have to give the car a complete brake service. You don't necessarily need new discs if the ones on it now aren't warped / corroded but new pads are probably a good idea due to age and it having stood.

Replace the fluid and check the master cylinder for leaks, then what I used to do is remove one caliper at a time and get an assistant to pump the pedal gently while I assess the movement of the piston(s). Often with the Maestros pumping the piston out and then forcing it back in with a G-Cramp (or you can use a proper calliper winder tool!) a few times got it working OK again.

If in doubt rebuild or complete replacement is your only option. You can't afford to take chances there but an MoT test will check brake balance.

Also check the flexi-pipes for condition.

Quote:
- The aircon doesn't work and shows up "err" on the display. Where should I start with this? Never had this issue before myself.
Worry about that later on. Or if it's bothering you, have to done the Aircon Diagnostic procedure as per another thread on this forum?

Quote:
- I've dried the boot out but the wipers still like to turn on by themselves now and again, although it's doing it a lot less now that the boot is dry. Would disconnecting the satnav drives solve this issue?
If they're water-damaged, I would try disconnecting them. Who knows what problems they may be causing.

Quote:
- For those who have had their satnav drives swimming in water, are they done for once they've been wet or can they be dried out and working again? I'm pretty sure mine are going to be absolutely shot but just wondering what to do?
If they've been turned on while sopping wet then in line with almost every electronic item I would suggest they're toast even if they weren't beforehand!

Finally, the advice from others to get the car completely dried out before worrying about the electrical faults is bang on the money. Dry it out and then check any earth points that may have been swimming in water!

Keep us posted with your progress :-)

Last edited by Tourist; 21st June 2016 at 21:13..
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 21:05   #19
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Looks like a car with a lot of potential, Rick.
I suppose you just have to be methodical and go through it bit by bit. It'd be a shame to break it but, if it's not economical to repair then, what else can you do?
I shall watch with interest on what you decide

I know where there's a diesel 99/00 W reg 75 Club in Steel Blue that I can have for £150. Thing is, it needs new clutch/slave apparently The owner likes to tinker and has half removed gearbox but, got fed up with it and now wants it out of his way. I'm half tempted to buy it but, I really don't need another project but, I don't want to see it get scrapped
The car is in very good condition overall and the colour is lovely.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 21:32   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

You can refurbish the the brakes quite easily. It would be the rest that would worry me. And the bodywork looks in relatively good condition considering.