Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2008, 21:08   #1
brum29
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer 2L CDT Club SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyman View Post
Welcome KB,

Be interested to hear what your ECU problem was.
Hi there, won't know until tomorrow what the problem is when the car has a proper diagnostic test, I say proper I have already paid £47 at one garage who could only tell me that it may be the ECU!!!

Problem occured on Sunday on route from Torquay to Birmingham, around Exeter the rain started like you have never seen, down to 40mph on the M5 but lasted for about 20 mile. We we came out of the rain I noticed slight loss of power and clouds of smoke out the back of the car after about 200 yards this stopped and returned to normal then about every mile it repeated all over again.

Stopped of at services called RAC who said my plenums were blocked and full of water ( didn't know I had any plenums) and my ECU was soaking ( didn't know I had one of those either, as you can tell I am not technically or mechanically minded). Got home on a wing and a prayer after a nervous 133 mile. When we got off the motorway it coughed and spluttered the next five mile.

If it is this I have been told it's a very costly to resolve, unless someone can tell me different, once done I now know where my plenums are, thanks to you guys, and will make sure they are inspected on a regular basis.

Will keep you informed of progress. Cheers KB
brum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 06:56   #2
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Hi KB,

Sounds like a nasty fault please keep us posted on the findings.

We do recommend that all members new and old check there plenums and we have a "How to" which walks you thru the process here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/down...ile=tid002.pdf also there are a few good "How To's" worth reading http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto.

I have moved your post in to the tech section to help you get the best help.

One place to try talking to is the ECU Doctor http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

Good luck.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 07:26   #3
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum29 View Post
Hi there, won't know until tomorrow what the problem is when the car has a proper diagnostic test, I say proper I have already paid £47 at one garage who could only tell me that it may be the ECU!!!

Problem occured on Sunday on route from Torquay to Birmingham, around Exeter the rain started like you have never seen, down to 40mph on the M5 but lasted for about 20 mile. We we came out of the rain I noticed slight loss of power and clouds of smoke out the back of the car after about 200 yards this stopped and returned to normal then about every mile it repeated all over again.

Stopped of at services called RAC who said my plenums were blocked and full of water ( didn't know I had any plenums) and my ECU was soaking ( didn't know I had one of those either, as you can tell I am not technically or mechanically minded). Got home on a wing and a prayer after a nervous 133 mile. When we got off the motorway it coughed and spluttered the next five mile.

If it is this I have been told it's a very costly to resolve, unless someone can tell me different, once done I now know where my plenums are, thanks to you guys, and will make sure they are inspected on a regular basis.

Will keep you informed of progress. Cheers KB
If its a diesel, it probably just water on the maf sensor. This is quite common as the air intake is behind the rad fan which stirs up spray maing it easy to be sucked in.

A Bosch maf is about £200, a Pierburgh and MF75p £112

Ron
Old 25th April 2008, 12:26   #4
brum29
Passed Away

Default I might have a faulty ECU

EDIT by Simon: Thread formally known as "I might have a poorly ECU"

Hi to all, hope you can help. I've taken my R75 for a check up this morning and have been told I might have to get another ECU. Knowing how expensive there are has anyone used The ECU Doctor that is mentioned in your links or any other similar service they would care to recommend, thanks KB

Last edited by Simon; 25th April 2008 at 19:53.. Reason: As stated
Old 25th April 2008, 12:44   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Several people have used them with good results.
Here's a typical discussion: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ght=ecu+doctor

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 12:49   #6
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum29 View Post
Hi to all, hope you can help. I've taken my R75 for a check up this morning and have been told I might have to get another ECU. Knowing how expensive there are has anyone used The ECU Doctor that is mentioned in your links or any other similar service they would care to recommend, thanks KB
Hi mate, i have used the ECU Dr and i was well pleased, it cost me £125 i think with a 12 months garantee :lol: better than spending over £800 for a new one ( CDT )and then having it coded to the car !!! well worth it.
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 12:50   #7
brum29
Passed Away

Thanks for that TC, puts your mind at rest when you get recommendations, cheers KB

P.S. As I'm not very techie are they much of problem to remove and reinsall if I have to do this myself

Last edited by brum29; 25th April 2008 at 12:54..
Old 25th April 2008, 19:27   #8
Simon
Banned

-

To remove the ECU you will first of all need to disconnect the battery. This in itself (can be) an involved process especially if you have the OEM satnav system built in.

If you do have built-in satnav then follow this procedure here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...st.php?p=81125 before removing the positive lead from the battery. Once disconnected you can then remove the ECU which is housed under the plastic section just underneath and infront of the windscreen on the passenger side (right-hand drive cars). Search for "plenum drains" as there are hundreds of posts about getting into this area, cleaning it, making sure it's water-free and removing the ECU etc.

Hope that helps.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 19:43   #9
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Sorry to go kind of off-thread here but this one's caught my eye all day today. Just look at the "latest posts" column and you might see what I mean. It looks a bit toiletey.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 19:45   #10
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERFIX View Post
Sorry to go kind of off-thread here but this one's caught my eye all day today. Just look at the "latest posts" column and you might see what I mean. It looks a bit toiletey.
You got me there? Can you explain?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote