Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th July 2019, 12:38   #1
Frogz

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Interior lights issue

New to the group...though had my car 4 years now!

A year or so ago I replaced the rear interior light unit, and while fitting it, accidentally made contact with bare metal in the roof and blew the fuse. That was simple enough to fix - replacing the fuse- but ever since that moment, the car's interior lights do not come on when the doors are opened, and have to be physically turned on by pushing the button.

When the ignition is engaged, they dim off as they used to do before - so that part of the system is at least still working.

Anyone know a fix for this?
Frogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 13:04   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Michael and to the club.

The interior lamp manual control toggles between three states: automatic (e.g. controlled by the doors), permanently on and permanently off. The first check to make is that this push button is in the automatic mode position.

Simon
Old 16th July 2019, 13:32   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

As Simon says, try pushing & holding the on/off button in for 10 seconds
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 10:39   #4
Frogz

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks guys..I'll check this and let you know! Hope it is that straight forward.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:41   #5
Frogz

Rover 75 Tourer

Checked what you said ...and it works, thanks. I used to have an owner's manual, but it vanished from the car, I can only assume when it was in at the garage once....

When I asked this question I was away from home...got back yesterday..went to check the lights...and I could not believe it to see the rear interior light once again dangling from it's wire, both plastic lugs having failed whilst the car was standing outside the house.....incredible that it happened at all, and even more so that it happened after I asked this question following the same problem a year or two ago.

Anyway, went to scrapyard for a replacement once more...first yard said no 75s in and they are now as rare as rocking horse sh*t in the yards. The one next door had a couple - one had already lost it's light, but I got one from a ZTT.

Installed it - both it's bulbs were blown - but replaced with the ones from the broken unit. Anyway, what a saga for a simple thing .
Old 20th July 2019, 09:37   #6
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

I have a spare manual from my scrapper Tourer 75 if you would like it, just pm me your address.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 09:50   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogz View Post
Checked what you said ...and it works, thanks. I used to have an owner's manual, but it vanished from the car, I can only assume when it was in at the garage once....

When I asked this question I was away from home...got back yesterday..went to check the lights...and I could not believe it to see the rear interior light once again dangling from it's wire, both plastic lugs having failed whilst the car was standing outside the house.....incredible that it happened at all, and even more so that it happened after I asked this question following the same problem a year or two ago.

Anyway, went to scrapyard for a replacement once more...first yard said no 75s in and they are now as rare as rocking horse sh*t in the yards. The one next door had a couple - one had already lost it's light, but I got one from a ZTT.

Installed it - both it's bulbs were blown - but replaced with the ones from the broken unit. Anyway, what a saga for a simple thing .
The lugs fell off mine three days ago and left the unit dangling from the roof.
The light unit is at this very moment on the sofa beside me while I try to figure out how to make some catches of my own to re-fit it.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 10:03   #8
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Smile

Same problem with mine.
Rear fixation likely broken, both front hooks being fine.

I've just had a try with a slice of silicone glue at the rear to solve the problem.
My mechanic told me it was my best bet because you can easily take off the item any day if necessary (changing the bulb) with a brave pull without damage, silicone not being too strong.
I've already glued the driver's interior handle surround with it.
So far so good...
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 10:24   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
Same problem with mine.
Rear fixation likely broken, both front hooks being fine.

I've just had a try with a slice of silicone glue at the rear to solve the problem.
My mechanic told me it was my best bet because you can easily take off the item any day if necessary (changing the bulb) with a brave pull without damage, silicone not being too strong.
I've already glued the driver's interior handle surround with it.
So far so good...
Re your door handle, couple of self tappers through the surround fixes it much cleaner than glue/silicone
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 10:44   #10
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

The rear plastic lugs broke off my rear interior light. I got sick of re-inserting it and soon after seeing it again dangling in the rear view mirror. I couldn't find one in a scrappy, so I used a couple of small self tapping screws, mimicking the lugs position, slotted it in place, and it's been fine since...