Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd June 2017, 14:03   #1
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Default Luk slave cylinder date stamp

So, gearbox off to day to see I could find a leak at the bottom of the housing.

Turns out it looks like it's the driveshaft seal weeping, however the slave is leaking also.

Now not much but enough to stain the interior of the bell housing so it would have gone sometime. This slave was installed by about a year ago and has done around 15k Kms.

It is a plastic kosher Luk cylinder. While checking it over I found a date stamp of 15/12/11. Does this mean this u it has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 5 years? Would this explain the seal degretation? When knows this a little over 2 months ago what came out was a really thin, black liquid whichi assuming is the failing seal.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Can't attach a photo of the date stamp but it was on the white label wrapped on the pipe by the bleed nipple. Also has a time stamp.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:23   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
So, gearbox off to day to see I could find a leak at the bottom of the housing.

Turns out it looks like it's the driveshaft seal weeping, however the slave is leaking also.

Now not much but enough to stain the interior of the bell housing so it would have gone sometime. This slave was installed by about a year ago and has done around 15k Kms.

It is a plastic kosher Luk cylinder. While checking it over I found a date stamp of 15/12/11. Does this mean this u it has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 5 years? Would this explain the seal degretation? When knows this a little over 2 months ago what came out was a really thin, black liquid whichi assuming is the failing seal.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Can't attach a photo of the date stamp but it was on the white label wrapped on the pipe by the bleed nipple. Also has a time stamp.
Dave

Are you sure this was a genuine LUK slave, supplied in the proper box ?. I have seen fake copy slaves with the same colour pipework as LUK sold as genuine LUK, but just supplied in a plastic bag by local motor factors (for example, one factor in Peterborough said he could sell me an LUK slave for 38 pounds, but it was just in a plastic bag with no LUK labels or packaging).

Black/grey discolouration of the fluid can be due to the grey grease on the seal .

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:20   #3
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Dave

Are you sure this was a genuine LUK slave, supplied in the proper box ?. I have seen fake copy slaves with the same colour pipework as LUK sold as genuine LUK, but just supplied in a plastic bag by local motor factors (for example, one factor in Peterborough said he could sell me an LUK slave for 38 pounds, but it was just in a plastic bag with no LUK labels or packaging).

Black/grey discolouration of the fluid can be due to the grey grease on the seal .

Pete
No, I'm not convinced Pete. Despite buying from a reputable source I can find no SKF stamp on the unit anywhere.

However it came in an Luk box, bagged and tagged as Luk.

I'm just putting this down to experience and will be buying the tazu kit. As an aside, what I thought was a leak coming from a poor driveshaft seal, on closer inspection it appears to be coming from behind the dmf somewhere. Just keeps getting better and better.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote