Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2017, 16:51   #1
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default Rear Brake calipers and brake shoes.

Just to be on safe side,as my calipers have just been fully rebuilt,and road tested,in order to access rear handbrake shoes can I just undo the two caliper bolts and slide the whole unit off,allowing me to access torx screw and remove disc so that I can inspect handbrake shoes?
Any snags I might encounter??
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 17:01   #2
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
Just to be on safe side,as my calipers have just been fully rebuilt,and road tested,in order to access rear handbrake shoes can I just undo the two caliper bolts and slide the whole unit off,allowing me to access torx screw and remove disc so that I can inspect handbrake shoes?
Any snags I might encounter??
Derek

Yes you should be able to undo the two x 13mm calliper bolts, and lift the whole calliper off, but would suggest that you use either a bungee or some string and tie the calliper up out of the way, then you can remove disc and check rear handbrake shoes

then when you re-assemble ensure that you push the pads back into the calliper and re-fit, then a quick pump of brakes before driving off, you might need to bleed them just to give you 100% assurance that they are working as they should

Stu

PS also put a bit of copper slip on the brake disc torq screw before putting it back in

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 18:43   #3
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Confirmed you can unbolt caliper carrier without removing caliper first (did it this morning in fact). Two things: the pads tend to fold inwards at the bottom end when you pull the caliper off the disc so you need to hold them apart when you refit the caliper. Second, the disc rotates as you try to undo the torx screw. If your handbrake doesn't work (and I assume it doesn't as you're trying to access it), then put two wheel bolts back in loosely and wedge a jack handle or similar between the two bolts and the ground to prevent it turning.

Whilst you've got the disc off, check the brake shoes haven't been put on upside down previously - my RH ones were!
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:29   #4
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post
Confirmed you can unbolt caliper carrier without removing caliper first (did it this morning in fact). Two things: the pads tend to fold inwards at the bottom end when you pull the caliper off the disc so you need to hold them apart when you refit the caliper. Second, the disc rotates as you try to undo the torx screw. If your handbrake doesn't work (and I assume it doesn't as you're trying to access it), then put two wheel bolts back in loosely and wedge a jack handle or similar between the two bolts and the ground to prevent it turning.

Whilst you've got the disc off, check the brake shoes haven't been put on upside down previously - my RH ones were!
Thanks for the tips that was excellent,have heard some bolts difficult to access do I require a special 13mm spanner?
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:29   #5
iandux
Loves to post

At last....75 Facelift Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
Thanks for the tips that was excellent,have heard some bolts difficult to access do I require a special 13mm spanner?

Don't think so, but if they're the same as the fronts, they're 15mm and very tight.

• This vehicle was the 96,129th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 2,123rd 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
  • This vehicle was the 394th 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
iandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:17   #6
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

If its a tourer then it is an isn't the same. Theres not as much room to swing the mallet. A variety of spanners and ratchets may be needed although the mallet never changes....lol ;-p

Oh and if its drums hopefully yours won't be wedged on at one side.
Mine were a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandux View Post
Don't think so, but if they're the same as the fronts, they're 15mm and very tight.
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote