Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st June 2017, 22:37   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Well, quick sanity check search and the results are
3pc clutch kit LUK under £200
3pc clutch kit + DMF LUK under £450
Master cylinder around £150?

Top parts price 3pc + DMF + master no more than £600 retail a good bit less to a garage (say £500). Labour is approx 3 and a half hours + 30minutes (max) if dmf replace + 30minutes (max) if master replaced (worst case timings) so max 4.5 hrs. What hourly rates are they charging? Even at £100 an hour £950 should cover the complete works. if just clutch and slave then £550 -£600?. Shop around for someone who's want's the job and has done a couple before.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:10   #22
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Well, quick sanity check search and the results are
3pc clutch kit LUK under £200
3pc clutch kit + DMF LUK under £450
Master cylinder around £150?

Top parts price 3pc + DMF + master no more than £600 retail a good bit less to a garage (say £500). Labour is approx 3 and a half hours + 30minutes (max) if dmf replace + 30minutes (max) if master replaced (worst case timings) so max 4.5 hrs. What hourly rates are they charging? Even at £100 an hour £950 should cover the complete works. if just clutch and slave then £550 -£600?. Shop around for someone who's want's the job and has done a couple before.
Thanks John for the breakdown.

The problem I have is... garage services around my area are expensive, plus these cars are few and far between down here (mechanics are not familiar with these cars). Trying to find a garage that can do the job correctly is the problem, you loose all confidence.

I myself have kept the car going for as long as possible with the maintenance skills that I have, but fitting a clutch is beyond my skill level. Trying to find a decent and honest mechanic locally has always been the problem, expensive labour charges combined with the lack of knowledge doesn't give one much confidence.

If I were to be honest with myself, and speaking with the wife last night, sadly this will be the end of the road in regards to our MG ownership. Not having a Brian, Jules, Andy and the like locally to us has always been the problem.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:36   #23
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Clutches will go in all cars buddy, they're a consumable.

''I'm a strong believer in not wasting money,''

Not getting her repaired would be wasting the money you spent on her belts.

Once the cluctch is done, it's done - have you given the suggestion of a two day holiday alongside a trip to Jules any thought?

I'd suspect that the combined cost would work out cheaper than your quote.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:37   #24
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Definitely worth a 2 day jolly up to Colwyn Bay to see Jules, especially with this current weather!
G
Gareth.Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:19   #25
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Book time for a clutch change is 6.5 hours, I believe - so that would be 300-350 pounds labour at normal provincial rates. Add about 200 pounds for decent 3-piece clutch kit (B&B with metal slave or LUK RepSet Pro). If an OEM master were added at about 150 pounds, you should be able to get the job done for 750 pounds. DMF is not normally needed.

Fitting technique is so important for clutches on the 75, so I would also support getting the car to Jules to get the job done properly.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:44   #26
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Thanks John for the breakdown.

The problem I have is... garage services around my area are expensive, plus these cars are few and far between down here (mechanics are not familiar with these cars). Trying to find a garage that can do the job correctly is the problem, you loose all confidence.

I myself have kept the car going for as long as possible with the maintenance skills that I have, but fitting a clutch is beyond my skill level. Trying to find a decent and honest mechanic locally has always been the problem, expensive labour charges combined with the lack of knowledge doesn't give one much confidence.

If I were to be honest with myself, and speaking with the wife last night, sadly this will be the end of the road in regards to our MG ownership. Not having a Brian, Jules, Andy and the like locally to us has always been the problem.
Wes, while a clutch change does seem a daunting a task, if you have access to another vehicle and the space to work you can take your time and do a bit as he when.

I'm in the middle of stripping the car down again as my plastic Luk slave has failed 12 months after being fitted. There's no rush and that takes the pressure off which hopefully means it'll be more of a pleasant job than when I did first time around!
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:16   #27
Dallas
This is my second home

I hear what you say fella's, but when you start to let cars take over your life, its then time to stop and take note of whats important.

I've owned many cars over the years, and never have I experienced repair costs that excessive, and that difficult to have a vehicle repaired, where all common-sense gets thrown out the window. I swore I would never buy one of these cars ever again, just because how expensive they are to maintain, and how difficult it is to get them repaired, and here I am again.

Finding the time and convincing myself (and the wife) to take a two day holiday to go get a car repaired is something I dont think is going to happen. As much as I luv my MG, and really enjoy the meets, the club, and the great friends we have made, but there must come a time where enough is enough, as sad as it sounds.

There is a good chance she will not make it up to Jules, the clutch could go at anytime. The past few days the clutch has been extremely stiff and has been difficult engaging gears (especially 2nd). I drove her this morning and she felt better, gear changes were easier. I'm having to drive her everyday at the moment due to being down to one road legal car, so I'm hoping she keeps going for a bit longer yet.

I'm currently in the process of sorting out the problems we have with the wife's new Dacia, so I'm somewhat fed-up with cars at the moment.

Last edited by Dallas; 22nd June 2017 at 10:46..
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:36   #28
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Ha! Call yourself an enthusiast!

Next thing you'll be fitting cheap fully working out of the box Chinese 2 din units....oh hang on...

I keep telling myself once this job is done it won't need doing ever again and here I am back underneath all greasy.

But time, patience, money and the joys of "wafting around on a carpet of air" are starting to wear very thin.

Saw a nice 2007 s class the other day....but it was more than the 250€ it is going to cost me to fix the 75....
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:23   #29
Dallas
This is my second home

Lol Dave, my enthusiasm is wearing thin, just like my clutch...

Part of me thinks I could be condemning the car a bit too soon I dont drive the ZT that much, but these past few days I have had too. Its made me realise the clutches on these cars are awfully heavy, so it maybe something as simple as I need to get use to the clutch again.

But! saying that, the blue ZT's clutch is so much lighter. Its just a shame I've let the MOT run out, its going to need a new windscreen, exhaust and most probably discs, and belts at some point (shame as she looks and drives perfect).

Last edited by Dallas; 22nd June 2017 at 10:31..
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:33   #30
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Actually, that sounds like a lot of work and money. I'm losing patience with only 1 car. Not sure I could handle double the fun.

However having said that - lot of reports that the tazu master gives a lighter clutch ( if you can live with running the copper pipe and the reported " noise " from that pipe.)

I'll be getting slave and master from tazu but I'm thinking the issue withe copper pipe will not be so severe for me as it is a lhd. ( More or less straight through the bulk head to the slave. Very few bends and twists when compared to the rhd - ever hopeful..)