Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2017, 21:15   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

@zaph
Many people have done it that way but the op said he didn't want to.
TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 21:28   #12
lektrix

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello, thank you again, no I definitely didn't want to use the starter as I already said in my original message. I am very interested in the induction method but so far have found nobody locally with the equipment. I will order a locking tool and try a make up something a bit more substantial in the way of a breaker bar as I already snapped a extension and bar I tried before. The only problem is that in trusting so called professionals the castellated part of the pulley has been damaged.
lektrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 23:35   #13
Annie
Avid contributor

2002 CDT Auto Con SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaph View Post
there is a sure fire why that worked for us on an old xantia, but it is very much try at your own risk. Get a socket on a bar, put bar in pipe, firmly wedge pipe in ground. Turn engine over, crank nut is loose.

Like i said it is potentially dangerous, so at your own risk, but it does work.
i did this on my citroen c5. Took 2 mins to change the crank pulley and 2 mins to put belt back on.
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 01:56   #14
lektrix

Rover 75 Saloon

I have already stated I am not interested in this method.
Old 7th June 2017, 03:09   #15
Annie
Avid contributor

so sorry, wont bother to contribute then.
Old 7th June 2017, 11:28   #16
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

I am aware Lektrix does not want to use the starter method, so this comment is not for Him,
But when using the starter motor "trick" you are placing a huge stress on the crank.
Also this method does not always work. I did try it on a car, and all that happened was that the front of the car lifted a bit, until the starter motor couldn't turn any more....
The best answer is to use the proper holding tool and an impact gun (or failing that a big bar)
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 12:17   #17
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I couldn't get mine off with 1/2 inch drive tools so was at a local tool shop enquiring on availability of 1 inch drive tools. A local mechanic also buying some tools said he would have a go on a no remove no charge basis. He had done one or two diesel 75s before. He struggled a bit but did eventually manage it using induction heater and Snap On high torque electric impact wrench.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 11:37   #18
lektrix

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello, thank you all for the information. I am interested in the induction method, I have not been able to find any garage locally with either the equipment or any knowledge of it in some cases. Some interesting stuff online about it though. Anyway I am still looking to buy the locking tool, I found a supplier in Germany. I hope then to make up a better quality bar than I tried before and snapped and give it another go. The only problem is that during attempted removal by the 'professionals' the castellated part of the pulley is now damaged. See what happens.
Old 8th June 2017, 12:24   #19
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
Hello,
It has been suggested using the starter to turn the engine over with a socket and bar jammed into bodywork to loosen the bolt. I am not interested in suggestions like this. The car has quite a lot of service history but as far as I can see the pulley has not been changed before. I thought maybe it could have had lock tight used on the bolt. I realise these things are very tight but would have thought it should be possible to do surely. I look forward to hearing from folks about this. Steve.
Quote:
Hello, thank you again, no I definitely didn't want to use the starter as I already said in my original message. I am very interested in the induction method but so far have found nobody locally with the equipment. I will order a locking tool and try a make up something a bit more substantial in the way of a breaker bar as I already snapped a extension and bar I tried before. The only problem is that in trusting so called professionals the castellated part of the pulley has been damaged.
Quote:
I have already stated I am not interested in this method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
so sorry, wont bother to contribute then.
A bit harsh, the o p has stated twice previously he did not want to use that method. His car, his choice, was there any need for that comment,? he came here looking for help, not criticism.
Old 8th June 2017, 13:26   #20
Annie
Avid contributor

I was telling an anecdote, not offering advice.