Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th May 2017, 20:36   #11
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I suspect if EVERYONE in Britain paid the tax they should we would be in the trouble we are. It shouldn't be a question of what your accountant can sort out for you.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 21:57   #12
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
My point was that there needs to be tax on wealth as well as use of facilities such as roads. There is already a tax on fuel - it is a large percentage of the price we pay.
I agree that there needs to be a tax on wealth, but how comes someone who is wealthy and could afford a new VW Golf , for example, would pay ZERO VED ( prior to this April ) and someone who could only afford a Honda 50 - lower price and much lower emissions has to pay £35 a year ?

The system is broken, I'm a firm believer that all the taxation should be on fuel, them we could collect from all the foreign vehicles here that pay ZERO VED in their country and zero VED here too.

Oh, and by the way, due to my annual mileage I would probably have to pay more than I do at present.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 23:26   #13
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

So if we took the fair route and added it to fuel costs what would we pay extra on a gallon to cover the cost of road tax? Someone must have done the figures and I'll bet it isn't much.

As an aside your diesel is still polluting well Jim and I to am enjoying every minute.

Blackrose
Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 00:06   #14
PAUL SARGISSON
Regular poster

Connis SE +drivers pack Moonstone green

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
My point was that there needs to be tax on wealth as well as use of facilities such as roads. There is already a tax on fuel - it is a large percentage of the price we pay.
So the fact that I own a 16 year old car that is worth pea nuts signifies I must be wealthy ? probably in most cases the reverse is true. I dont want to get personal but I think you are viewing this through rose tinted glasses.
PAUL SARGISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 02:08   #15
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
So if we took the fair route and added it to fuel costs what would we pay extra on a gallon to cover the cost of road tax? Someone must have done the figures and I'll bet it isn't much.
A bit of fag packet maths, around 12p a litre.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 06:06   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SARGISSON View Post
So the fact that I own a 16 year old car that is worth pea nuts signifies I must be wealthy ? probably in most cases the reverse is true. I dont want to get personal but I think you are viewing this through rose tinted glasses.
I do not take that as personal - just debating alternative viewpoints.

I did not use the term wealthy, but tax on wealth. In my view, anyone who can afford to own a car, has sufficient wealth to pay associated tax.

I don't have rose tinted glasses - in fact I am about as cynical and questioning as a man can get. But, I tend to look at the basic principles and the broad picture rather than point issues.

The question is, just because a person drives a 16-year old car, will he/she be happy to accept a lower level of education for his/her children or a lower level of service from the NHS than another who drives something newer? These are the types of services that consume the revenue from your taxes.

With tax and a few other things, it really is important that one looks at the basic principles and the broad picture. The simple fact is that the cuntry needs so many £billion per week to keep running. That has to be collected as tax revenue if we are not to continue/increase borrowing. We all have to contribute and, as long as the overall picture is broadly proportionate amongst the population, localised differences are of no consequence or importance.

The question I would ask is, "ignore localised or point issues such as VED - what you be your alternative system be for keeping the coutry running that is fairer to all".

Last edited by MSS; 11th May 2017 at 06:14..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 06:09   #17
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I suspect if EVERYONE in Britain paid the tax they should we would be in the trouble we are. It shouldn't be a question of what your accountant can sort out for you.
I agree with you, but only if you put a 'not' in somewhere...
Old 11th May 2017, 06:52   #18
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SARGISSON View Post
The tax system in this country is not fair or just. I have no problem with paying tax but I do not like being ripped off. Put the VED onto fuel purchase price then those who wear out the roads and pollute the air we breath the most pay the most .
They won't do that, the price of fuel will go up, people will slow down or cut back on the miles that they drive, once this happens the government would loose revenue.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 07:01   #19
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Can't agree more that we all need to pay tax to ensure we have a better society where everyone contributes.
My gripe is when the reason for paying more tax is not based on anything more than guessing or assuming I am doing more harm to the planet when clearly my cars are not. Yes I was privelaged enough to own 7 cars at one time with 5 fully road legal and now we have just 2. Many reasons for that but I won't bore you with a long story.
When my MOT emissions test sheet says one thing and the Government says the opposite I really have to wonder why they are allowed to raise tax based on a blatant lie.
From April it could be argued that the tax on vehicles is a little bit fairer as from year 2 we will pay a flat rate of £140. However I would also argue that "pay for use" should be considered. The old story of 2 neighbours both paying £140 per year but one does 20k and the other just 2k will rear its head again but at least the 20k man is paying more fuel duty and VAT.
May the debate go on and on!
Old 11th May 2017, 07:15   #20
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I agree with you whole heartedly Maninder.
Seconded