Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd June 2017, 06:31   #31
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Good radio CD player so you cant hear those noises you immediately think are impending doom! Have a good time. Chris.S.
Good plan and thanks Chris. S lol..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:35   #32
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
One more thing to remember is the HI VIS jackets must be available to be put on in the car,it is no use having them in the boot.In case of a breakdown they need to be put on before exiting the car.
Hi Number 6, good tip, I used to chuck one on the parcel shelf..quick question..looking at your nice pic..I noticed that the rear wheels are close to the body same on mine..was wondering what the suspension is like with 5 adult size folk and luggage..any views?

Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:40   #33
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Just done a 1200 mile trip with no problems. The day after we got back the air bag light came on! ( "She" had moved the seat! ) Plugs separated and contacts cleaned - job done!
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:38   #34
John Armstrong
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Diesel Saloon

I travel to Spain every year and also to Northern Ireland at least twice a year, without any thought of breaking down....Only extra part i bring is an under bonnet pump which is located within the battery box together with relevant tools to allow road side exchange. Yes, there is room.
For Spain, the car is really full - Roof box and a very large tent plus everything one needs for a 3 week stay by the sea. Yes, two 3' neon lights and a proper chest type fridge. Roll on this years trip.
Funny thing is, the suspension takes it all very well - one would hardly notice any difference in the profile. (nose still pointing down) I did an exercise several years ago and weighed everything - including the empty car with a 3/4 full tank and it was just within the maximum load weight - So I replaced the rear springs with heavy duty ones provided by the 'Best of British'
I travel via Bilbao - motorway to Barcelona - turn right before we get there and bingo! the sea. Well worth paying the tolls and the 75 preforms so well that my pride certainly shows. (so glad the children have now grown up and left home, which allows us to 'live the life'?)

John
John Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:17   #35
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi John,

Interesting upgrading the springs..we have done the trip via Bilbao in the past on Brittany Ferries though, find it a bit expensive these days, of late we take Dover Calais shooting around the Périphérique late on in the evening then down to Barcelona paying the tolls etc..

I have confidence in the car for sure and don't care as long as we arrive and have the holiday the family are looking forward to..will definitely take the UBP and probably a crank sensor..

Our kids range from 17 to 21 and will not be replacing them with 3 dogs when they do fly the nest Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:55   #36
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi bl52krz, just looked at coop and how about this bit?:-

EU repatriation. If your vehicle is not repaired before your planned return date to the UK, cover includes transport costs to get you, your passengers, and your vehicle home. Please note that cover will not be provided if the costs of returning your vehicle to the UK would be greater than the market value of your vehicle in the UK after the breakdown

Could be a fun argument
A clause I've seen before. Making it useless for many older cars it's certainly going to cost upwards of £1k or more to bring a car back from Spain. Not that I've any idea what relevance the value of the car is to the breakdown cover. I don't see them offering to pay the UK market value for the car and still transport you, your passengers, and your luggage/goods/souvenirs home.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 07:25   #37
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Avulon,

From AA's single trip policy approx £150:

To recover your vehicle to your home or repairer
in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man or
onward to your original destination (But only where
cost of recovery does not exceed your vehicle’s
current market value).
Up to £120 vehicle storage charges.

I like this one:-

Vehicle collection. Section 9. One person’s pre-agreed travel and
accommodation costs to collect your vehicle
where the vehicle has remained in Europe for the
completion of repairs.

I don't get the correlation either on market value..
Old 24th June 2017, 12:36   #38
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

That has been in the details all along. It is the same I believe in all the European Breakdown Insurances.When I joined them, I asked about the repatriation bit ,and was told that unless your vehicle is a load of junk, in that case why would you risk going abroad in it, and you could prove it had been serviced before you went abroad, then more likely than not, they would cover it. I suppose if you were somewhere like Turkey or the far flung lands of Russia, you would not be treated the same. And another thing, unless it was something like a blown engine, you could get it mended yourself and bring it back. There is always someone somewhere who will help you out.
Old 24th June 2017, 22:12   #39
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
The reason was: When fitting the new alternator and aux belt I had the tensioner maxed over, putting it on the crank pulley last found I had to turn the engine to pull the belt on to the crank pulley.
When fitting the belt, I always slide it on the jockey wheel in between the power steering and the alternator last. Smooth wheel and the back of the belt means it just slides on. Also no risk of damaging the ribs on the belt while trying to get it correctly seated.
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 07:15   #40
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
That has been in the details all along. It is the same I believe in all the European Breakdown Insurances.When I joined them, I asked about the repatriation bit ,and was told that unless your vehicle is a load of junk, in that case why would you risk going abroad in it, and you could prove it had been serviced before you went abroad, then more likely than not, they would cover it. I suppose if you were somewhere like Turkey or the far flung lands of Russia, you would not be treated the same. And another thing, unless it was something like a blown engine, you could get it mended yourself and bring it back. There is always someone somewhere who will help you out.
Well, we have to have some faith in the fact that there is a very good chance the car makes it with no catastrophic failures such as blown engine or gearbox, I agree with you however, in the case of an accident and one for example where the owner might take on the repairs but, insurance would write the vehicle off, we get back to market value IMO.