Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th August 2022, 13:50   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Auxiliary belt tensioner

Now the temperature is just about on the better side of 30° I've set about replacing the alternator and power steering pump.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=320376

Everything was going to plan until I was unable to release the tensioner. I used my adapted 24mm spanner and piece of wood, but nothing happened. I think the bolt is just spinning without turning the spring.

I managed to get the belt off by levering it with a screwdriver and turning the crankshaft. I'd considered cutting it but i only fitted it in July after the previous one snapped. I fitted it in the same way by cranking the crank after struggling like hell with the tensioner previously.

I think I found the same problem here:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&postcount=46

Is it possible to tighten these tensioner bolts? It looks a devil of job to get access to replace the tensioner.....
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2022, 14:26   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE=Andy_with_a_screwdriver;2942568]Now the temperature is just about on the better side of 30° I've set about replacing the alternator and power steering pump.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=320376

Everything was going to plan until I was unable to release the tensioner. I used my adapted 24mm spanner and piece of wood, but nothing happened. I think the bolt is just spinning without turning the spring.

I managed to get the belt off by levering it with a screwdriver and turning the crankshaft. I'd considered cutting it but i only fitted it in July after the previous one snapped. I fitted it in the same way by cranking the crank after struggling like hell with the tensioner previously.

I think I found the same problem here:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&postcount=46

Quote:
Is it possible to tighten these tensioner bolts? It looks a devil of job to get access to replace the tensioner.....[/QUOT
E]

Yes it's possible you need to get a spanner on the bolt head at the rear, tight but can be done, ground down aviation spanner is best to do the job.

This engine was out of the car but it will give you an idea of what i mean.

Remember when you have got the spanner on the bolt at the back, turning the front tensioner bolt the same way as you do to take the tension off the belt will tighten it, or you can hold the front still and tighten from the back, hope this as helped

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2022, 17:18   #3
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Cheers Steve

With the steering pump & alternator out, I was able to get 15mm spanner in from the front end. Mrs Andy held the 24 underneath and I've tightened it with the 15.

Just rebuilding now , I'm finally on the shade of my bonnet
Old 14th August 2022, 20:12   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
Cheers Steve

With the steering pump & alternator out, I was able to get 15mm spanner in from the front end. Mrs Andy held the 24 underneath and I've tightened it with the 15.

Hi Andy.
good news then you should be able to pull the tensioner back enough now to get the belt back on comfortable

ad altiora tendo.

Old 14th August 2022, 22:41   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Cheers Steve

If anyone else has this happen you can tighten the tensioner nut without removing anything. As mentioned it is a left hand thread.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 08:20   #6
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Cheers Steve

Update.

After doing this tightening, and then starting to refit the alternator, I found that the tensioner pulley had stopped rotating freely. I backed it off a 1/4 turn which improved it.
I put everything back together (without using the tensioner), and started it up. Everything sounded ok.
Alternator is good giving 14.5 volts which only drops to 14.2 under full electrical load.
Next for a road test. When I attempted to turn the steering wheel for manoeuvring onto the road, there was a rumbling sort of sound and juddering feeling back through the steering wheel. I was expecting some noise as the steering pump purged the air from its system but not this.
As speed increased i didn't go above about 50mph, the noise was less noticeable.
There used to be a small amount of this noise and judder at the extreme of steering lock previously.
I'm assuming that this could be the tensioner on it's way out? especially as it wouldn't free wheel properly it's done 220k assuming it's the original, which it looks like it could be.

Is this a job that can be done with the engine in situ? the tensioner arm looks to long to be withdrawn in the space available?
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...cdti-pqr000080
Old 15th August 2022, 08:39   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Update.

After doing this tightening, and then starting to refit the alternator, I found that the tensioner pulley had stopped rotating freely. I backed it off a 1/4 turn which improved it.
I put everything back together (without using the tensioner), and started it up. Everything sounded ok.
Alternator is good giving 14.5 volts which only drops to 14.2 under full electrical load.
Next for a road test. When I attempted to turn the steering wheel for manoeuvring onto the road, there was a rumbling sort of sound and juddering feeling back through the steering wheel. I was expecting some noise as the steering pump purged the air from its system but not this.
Quote:
As speed increased i didn't go above about 50mph, the noise was less noticeable.
There used to be a small amount of this noise and judder at the extreme of steering lock previously.
I'm assuming that this could be the tensioner on it's way out? especially as it wouldn't free wheel properly it's done 220k assuming it's the original, which it looks like it could be.

Is this a job that can be done with the engine in situ? the tensioner arm looks to long to be withdrawn in the space ava
ilable?
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...cdti-pqr000080
Hi Andy.
You would have to drop the engine a little so it clear the chassis arm you could then remove the tensioner, or wheel, tightening the tensioner nut up should not have made any difference to the wheel rotating? i would go over it again and double check other wheel etc it could be the water pump sticking or you may have tightened the A/C compressor belt to much.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th August 2022, 08:52   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes something isn't right if you have to back the tensioner nut off. With the belt off you can loosen the nut right off and then inspect the bearing to see why it isn't running freely.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 09:03   #9
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Andy.
You would have to drop the engine a little so it clear the chassis arm you could then remove the tensioner, or wheel, tightening the tensioner nut up should not have made any difference to the wheel rotating? i would go over it again and double check other wheel etc it could be the water pump sticking or you may have tightened the A/C compressor belt to much.
I checked each pulley after when trying to clean them, and all seemed free.

re AC. I wondered that but it's in the same position as before. The seems noise is independent of the air con and isn't any different when it's on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Yes something isn't right if you have to back the tensioner nut off. With the belt off you can loosen the nut right off and then inspect the bearing to see why it isn't running freely.
Seemed like the bearing was perhaps make a slight grinding noise.

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 15th August 2022 at 10:49..
Old 15th August 2022, 10:57   #10
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Update.

I had a quick check this morning before work.

I tightened one of the steering pump pulley bolts a 1/4 turn, because I couldn't recall doing that yesterday after the belt was fitted.

Started it up, a bit of noise whilst getting out of the parking space. Took it for a run about a mile around the streets lots of twist & turns, did a couple parallel parks and it seems considerably less noisy, almost to the point of nothing unusual

There was a bit of whine when on full lock, but that is pretty normal i think.

I checked steering fluid, and it seemed quite clear today. Last night was lots of foam in tank.

As a precaution I've just ordered a new tensioner and spare belts from euro carparts to collect tomorrow am.