Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st June 2022, 21:06   #51
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Taught Metric but wants IU - it would be a reasonable assumption that you were not very good at learning!
Haha, well I would say I wasn't very good at being taught but I can use metric perfectly well, I must admit I have to make more of an effort to use Imperial but I think both have their place. We certainly should not legally restrict it, what is the point in that? It was only ever Brussels trying to leave its stamp.
JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2022, 07:31   #52
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I would think that the EU was sensibly just standardising the system of weights and measurements across its member countries. This would facilitate trading in the single market. They never insisted that the UK embraced full metrication. Imperial refers to Empire, our older population continues to force these units on youngsters who are quite happy with the metric system taught in schools. As a country IMO we should bury this imperial system and move into the real world.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:38   #53
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Imperial was a method peculiarly of this country and has served its purpose. Apart from that, I can't think of anything I would want or need to measure in units smaller than a mm.
Scientists use the atomic scale anyway and engineers don't really need to calculate components in an electronic age.

Curious how, in times of difficulty, suggestions born of nostalgia crop up in rather obvious attempts to divert from the loss of standing and the reputations of our representatives. The trouble with idiosyncrasy is it becomes outdated and perishes into antiquity.
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:57   #54
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Wraymond i agree with you.
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:32   #55
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I would think that the EU was sensibly just standardising the system of weights and measurements across its member countries. This would facilitate trading in the single market. They never insisted that the UK embraced full metrication. Imperial refers to Empire, our older population continues to force these units on youngsters who are quite happy with the metric system taught in schools. As a country IMO we should bury this imperial system and move into the real world.
Both systems can happily live side by side.
The cost of changing all the road signs to kM would be prohibitive. I notice on this forum we always talk about bhp and mpg rather than watts(joules/sec) and kM/L
We are happy buying pints of beer and talking about not being 12 yards back at a free kick in football. I would guess that the majority of us measure our height and weight in imperial units.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:42   #56
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Yes we can keep muddling through and we can keep arguing about it. Im more worried about it being reversed at the moment as a political gesture.
Old 2nd June 2022, 11:26   #57
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Variety being the spice of life, why not allow some leeway? Then, surprisingly, we all get our own way. The changes, if left standing, and in particular public signage, serve to mark progress (or otherwise). Goes along with the trend for multi-everything after all. Nowt wrong wi' choice.
Old 2nd June 2022, 22:10   #58
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

I only tend to worry about what I can/cannot do anything about and which directly affects me. Other than hey ho.

Besides we can't bury the system as its still in use in our daily lives and probably will be forever.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 06:26   #59
mbev51
Banned

Removed

The boss of Asda says BoJos idea will cost money and think its wrong. With any luck this will just go away as other political issues come to the fore. Wasnt there an idea of having a Brexit day bank holiday, that went away? Ive got my fingers crossed, we will see.
Old 4th June 2022, 12:25   #60
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
I only tend to worry about what I can/cannot do anything about and which directly affects me. Other than hey ho.

Besides we can't bury the system as its still in use in our daily lives and probably will be forever.
Very true and my feet have always been a foot long and that will never change.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote