Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2022, 18:55   #1
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Default Oh jeez, where do i start?

I had quite a bit of work done to my Rover 75. Picked her up today, and I'm unhappy. (1) I can hear a new sound - a very irritating ticking like tappets. Of course the service manager can't hear it! I had new cambelt put in, water pump, spark plugs, thermostat pipe assembly-coolant, one ignition coil, change of oil.

All of the above because there was a coolant leak from the "in V thermostat pipes", a misfire on one cylinder, 18 yr old cambelt noisy from suspected tensioners.

I have very good hearing, and know the sounds of both my cars. (2) Another problem I've just found, which is the cooling fan comes on after a very short journey and stays on and on. Moreover, when I switch off the car while fan is running, it should continue running but it does not. It switches off with the car!

(3) Vis valves noisy on inlet manifold, but garage could not obtain replacement. I'm acquainted with that sound, and it is NOT this new tapping sound that I now have. Could it be the SOLENOID VALVE on the rear of the upper inlet manifold?

I told Kingsburys that I would monitor the car over the weekend. Hope to take her back on Tuesday, but in the meantime any suggestions would be gratefully received so that I can parlez with the garage (which is a former Rover-approved one).

THIS is precisely why I hate having anything done to my car - because something changes.
lida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 19:21   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Your fan running sounds like one of the speeds has failed, does it have a resistor fitted at about the 2 o'clock position? Or no resistor. Vis motors, speak to Dave (stocktake)

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 19:42   #3
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Your fan running sounds like one of the speeds has failed, does it have a resistor fitted at about the 2 o'clock position? Or no resistor. Vis motors, speak to Dave (stocktake)

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. Do you think that having all that work done dislodged something and caused it to fail? Where is Dave?
Old 1st April 2022, 19:57   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds to me like you have an airlock that making the cooling system switch on your hi speed fan.

The ticking could be a noisy tappet, or a Vis motor malfunction, if not a vis then id suggest an engine flush in case a tappet has caught some muck during the work.

Last edited by trikey; 1st April 2022 at 19:59..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 20:18   #5
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Trikey - But the fan should stay on surely after car is switched off, airlock or not?

The Vis valves on inlet manifold are noisy, but what I'm speaking of is a completely new sound.

Last edited by lida; 1st April 2022 at 20:21..
Old 1st April 2022, 20:51   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lida View Post
Trikey - But the fan should stay on surely after car is switched off, airlock or not?

The Vis valves on inlet manifold are noisy, but what I'm speaking of is a completely new sound.
not unless the car has gone onto overheat, normally the low speed fan will kick in and control the temperature, if the high speed is on after you turn off the engine you have an issue, i will bet its a water issue seeing as you have had the system drained and refilled.

Best bet is to drain and refill according to the MGR procedure, run up to temp and check all hoses and radiator are up to the correct temperature, let it cool down, top up as neccessary, then see if the issue persists.
Old 1st April 2022, 21:25   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Hope to take her back on Tuesday, but in the meantime any suggestions would be gratefully received so that I can parlez with the garage (which is a former Rover-approved one).
In my early pre-forum days it was a Rover dealership "expert" told me that when my car was cutting out on sharpish right hand bends, I needed to renew both the in tank and under bonnet pumps. I didn't believe them and a couple of days later the car was recovered to another dealer, who without even seeing the car, correctly diagnosed a flooded ECU.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2022, 22:34   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

TC
Quote:
- - - the cooling fan comes on after a very short journey and stays on and on. Moreover, when I switch off the car while fan is running, it should continue running but it does not. It switches off with the car!
Ensure the aircon system isn't tripping on the low speed fan by pressing the Econ button before driving off. Aircon cooling behaves as you describe. It usually starts the fan a few seconds after ignition on, but in the current cold weather, it may not start immediately.

If the fan is actually tripping on to cool the engine, check the coolant temperature by running the Trip Screen Diagnostic mode (Test 7) while driving. More info here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=55585
I believe the V6 will trip the cooling fan on when the coolant goes above 100°C.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2022, 07:47   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... there was a coolant leak from the "in V thermostat pipes", a misfire on one cylinder, 18 yr old cambelt noisy from suspected tensioners ... the cooling fan comes on after a very short journey and stays on and on ... Vis valves noisy on inlet manifold ...
I told Kingsburys that I would monitor the car over the weekend. Hope to take her back on Tuesday, but in the meantime any suggestions would be gratefully received ...
Hello Lida,

I am very interested in your thread because (1) I know Kingsbury's well, (2) I have a V6 like yours and (3) I recognise all the work you've paid for as I've done it myself!

I could write a lengthy post with lots of analysis and recommendations but that wouldn't help with your forthcoming negotiations at Kingsbury's. I'd be happy to have a chat with you on the phone this weekend if you'd like to. I'm also not far from Hounslow ...

Send me a PM and I'll be happy to assist.

Simon
Old 2nd April 2022, 12:21   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Latest news

Lida has made contact and she's bringing her V6 tourer over to me tomorrow for an inspection and some tests which should result in a discussion on the best way forward.

Simon