Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd February 2018, 20:53   #1
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Arrow Local knowledge sought from Northumberland/Newcastle area members

Hi all.

My sister and her hubby have decided on a life-change. They will downsize from existing home, quit current jobs and move away from Lincolnshire.

They are keen to move north and are currently looking at the southern end of Northumberland/Newcastle area.

Think they would prefer a small town or village, as they like open spaces for walking the dog. Good public transport links would be good as they only have one car and will both be looking for work.

Looking at estate agents ads is one thing, but it doesn't tell you what the area is really like.

So, suggestions of places to considering or ones to avoid?

Thanks

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 21:44   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Depends on budget really, I live just overthe border from Northumberland ,in Tyne and Wear, but grew up in the Tyne Valley area of Northumberland, The Tyne valley is beautiful, with good walking area and good transport links to both Carlisle and Newcastle. The main town is Hexham, which has a leisure centre and pool, bus station and railway station . There is one supermarket just out of the main town, but the one department store has a food hall. Also plenty of pubs and restaurants. Moving further east, is Corbridge, more of a village than a town, more expensive too, and very cliquey, and snobby. Then comes Riding Mill, posh houses and one pub,then there is the village of Stocksfield, my home village. This has more affordable properties, a newsagents garage/minimarket, also a repair garage where you wont get ripped. Good walks and fields/woods, at the west end is the railway station, and next to that a post office/convenience store. There is also a newsagents chemist and another post office at the east end of the village, its on a bus route, and has 3 pubs 2 within walking distance of the main road, a third you would need to drive to, but that one is more of a gastro pub.
Further east is the town of Prudhoe, which again on the bus route to Hexham and Newcastle, the train station is about a mile north of the town, downhill to get there but uphill to get home. The town has all the usual shops news hairdressers, a couple of clubs and 4 pubs, a library, petrol station and MoT garage, with another next to train station,with attached motor factor, a hardware shop, and a co op superstor, amd a leosure centre with pool.
Property in Prudhoe is alot cheaper, but there are some posher houses available in the estate next to the castle. Suitable for all really, it has a thriving community. The you move further east towards Newcastle with the villags of Crawcrook,and Ryton, these are in the borough of Gateshead which is the sister town of Newcastle just across the river. This is a brief description, if I can be of more help, please feel free to pm and I will give tou my mobile number for any further questions. Lived in the area for 50 years, so think I’m just about qualified to advise.

Last edited by RPWC; 2nd February 2018 at 21:50.. Reason: Additional info
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 21:48   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Cramlington is a very nice small town, a bit to the north of Newcastle, it posts a shopping centre, leisure centre, with pool, petrol station, supermarket, and the property tends to be on the cheaper side, but tou get quite a decent size and type of house for your money. Can tell you areas to avoid, but by pm only, as wouldnt want to offend other members who may live there.
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:13   #4
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Sorry, I don’t have detailed local knowledge for you, but I can say how much I enjoy visiting thar part of the country, not least because of the people.

I know nothing of Lincolnshire though!
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:24   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Aside from the suggestions, when you find somewhere potentially suitable that you want to investigate further, you might looking at the address and surrounds on Google Earth's Streetview.

I love the area too, but best to have an English/Geordie dictionary to hand - I'm still struggling to understand Jean at times

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018, 18:37   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
but best to have an English/Geordie dictionary to hand - I'm still struggling to understand Jean at times
Geordie is OK but once you get into the Sunderland neck of the woods..... I was born a Geordie, spent years in Berwick which is part Geordie but when I was a supervisor on the railway there used to be a Newcastle driver who hailed from Sunderland, he seriously needed subtitles.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 3rd February 2018 at 18:39..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:17   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Aside from the suggestions, when you find somewhere potentially suitable that you want to investigate further, you might looking at the address and surrounds on Google Earth's Streetview.

I love the area too, but best to have an English/Geordie dictionary to hand - I'm still struggling to understand Jean at times
Happy to act as translator Harry
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:21   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If they move to Ashington, they will need a grade 1 translator
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:34   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If they move to Ashington, they will need a grade 1 translator
Thet'll be a jerb an a hairf thet Endy.But he stipulated SOUTH Northumberland.
Old 3rd February 2018, 21:55   #10
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Byker is a nice, well to do area to settle down. The Quayside is only a leisurely fifteen minute walk away ;-)

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote