Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th August 2022, 10:08   #11
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by donc View Post
Would appreciate advice. My 1.8t failed it's mot with high emissions on the 3000 rev test. I am told that there is wear on the piston rings and that the engine needs a complete re build. I am reluctant to part with the car and would be prepared to commit to some expense. But what is likely to be necessary to put things right?
I would go to Hull Engine Repair Centre on Lincoln Street near Wincomlee - they are the best engine fettlers by far to get there opinion - if a refurb is required ie new piston rings/relapped valves etc you are looking at £800. The owner knows MGR cars backwards.

So i assume your garage has discounted a failing Cat or O2 sensors ? Are you getting any codes?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 13:30   #12
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default High emissions

A wonderful response as always and will have further tests done. Just done some high speed journeys so not a build up problem. Only some smoke when revved over 3000 otherwise none. Does have an oil leak at the battery end though which wants sorting. A compression test is an excellent idea!
donc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 15:23   #13
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default High emissions

Incidentally one of the (many) reasons I want to keep this car is the excellent advice given on this forum
Old 13th August 2022, 17:46   #14
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
As your car is a turbo it could be oil collecting in the intercooler especially the car has only been doing low speed short journeys.

At 3000 revs any oil that's collected in the intercooler will be blown through and will affect emissions.

Russ
I would agree with Russ , you need to eliminate the turbo before stripping down the engine . Failing Turbo oil seals can cause oil to be dragged through the engine particularly when the turbo is spooled up Have you been having to top up the engine with oil or coolant over the past few months . Is the smoke oil or just poor combustion . Have you put any fuel additive through the system to clean the injectors ? I realize now you have a car that has failed its MOT your options are more limited .
A compression test or a cylinder leak test will give you a good indication on the condition of the engine , The latter giving you a better indication of problems with rings or valves
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 19:57   #15
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default High emissions

Can't speak highly enough of the engine repair centre in Lincoln Street Hull. They fixed some oil leaks, a water leak and it's a different car. Because they said it would be unwise to continue to run with the oil leak they fitted the job in the day I called. ( I had a meeting to attend 50 miles away the next day) and stayed open an extra half hour to fi is the job. The owner used to work at a rover dealers as did one of the mechanics. I recommend them to anyone even if you have to travel some distance.