Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th April 2022, 20:06   #211
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Well I have one. HMG wants to spend £120 million on flying distressed refugees to a distant country with an unpleasant human rights record. Why not spend that money on seriously identifying the people trafficers?

Easier said than done as the trafficers are not in the UK unless we are going to give £120 million to France etc to do the investigation.
We only going to spend £120million if they continue to come across the channel.
Currently we spend £5million a day - £1825 million a year - putting them up in hotels etc.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2022, 20:31   #212
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Whichever one's position on this it's almost impossible to solve.

Putting them up in luxury palaces maybe additional encouragement. Sending them to a 3rd country is most likely going to be challenged in court.

Glad I'm not in charge trying to sort it. Perhaps rather than blame those trying to get to a better place the politicians could try and work it out, rather than play politics over it all. But that's what politicians do.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2022, 06:57   #213
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I cannot see this initiative lasting long. They’ll be able to use it whilst canvassing in May then legal challenges will probably make it unworkable. I suppose everyone questioning it, will then be blamed for its failure. A proper humane processing system needs to be thought through, unfortunately we are not on the best of terms with our near neighbours which makes it almost impossible to do.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:08   #214
mbev51
Banned

Removed

See the migrants are coming again in numbers. We'll see if they get sent to Rwanda for processing.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:30   #215
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
See the migrants are coming again in numbers. We'll see if they get sent to Rwanda for processing.
I had to go into Great Yarmouth on Thursday and most of them seem to have arrived there. Lots of single men in track suits or camo gear, with backpacks or wheely cases and a faint odour of campfire. I didn't notice many tourists and one elderly couple I spoke to, said that they were there for a day visit and would not be coming back!
Old 2nd May 2022, 13:28   #216
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I've discovered the answer to my question (post 209). There is a problem within the hierarchies of the EU that refuses to aid or assist UK in anything UK asks for or wants to do.

Because of this there are no member states between the migrants’ point of EU entry and the English Chanel that would be willing to go against central policy by returning them to their original point of entry into that particular state. Not one.

So, from Portugal to Greece and north through Sicily to Germany and France, not one of the transit countries will lift a finger, let alone decline entry through their country. How shabby. Maybe if we dropped the ‘English’ bit....oh, no, wait a minute...I wonder what they have as policy for the N.I. border?
Old 2nd May 2022, 14:32   #217
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Just to clarify. I have no problems with migrants or immigrants so long as they are legal and arrive through proper channels, with the correct paperwork. Otherwise, we do not know their true intentions. My own family migrated from Ireland after the potato crop failure/famine, and came to work (slave) in Lord Londonderry's mines in the North East. They had to pay "the gaffer" for their tools, equipment and housing, so winner all round, wasn't he!
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:02   #218
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

So, from Portugal to Greece and north through Sicily to Germany and France, not one of the transit countries will lift a finger, let alone decline entry through their country. How shabby.

Why should they? "Brexit means Brexit": presumably you voted for that? Many of these countries have taken hundreds of thousands, if not millions of refugees already.
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:36   #219
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Our respective politicians, both here and on the continent, are quite shameful over this issue. They are all quite happy to offload their responsibilities to look after these people and blame the next one down the migratory route. Who inevitably blame the ones further up.

Meanwhile, as always, folks are suffering because others play their silly little games. I wouldn't trust a politician to sort out a bag full of apples and pears, never mind the problems the world is facing at present. Most of which they cause.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:53   #220
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Amen to that.

As for the Brexit thing, ho hum, it's a diversion from the fact of internal laws of the EU and nothing to blame UK about. We are not responsible for every member nation ignoring internal rules while we actually, in exceeding our responsibility, give safe harbour, for now at least, to the suffering masses who seek refuge from oppression. Although why some of them decide to throw their passports away beats me.
I recommend a long hard read of EU law to get then full s.p. on this matter!