Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2022, 14:58   #1
malcolm the piano man
Avid contributor

75 Tourer 2.5 Connoisseur SE

Post Exhaust tailpipe

Could someone please advise what is the difference between saloon and tourer exhaust tailpipe. We are talking Mk1 V6. Tourer ones seem to be a lot more money. Of course, I need one for a tourer.
Old 15th August 2022, 20:59   #2
Mark Heappey
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer

Why not have a stainless steel exhaust fitted. Lifetime guarantee.
Had mine done by Tony Banks near Leeds. The guys are fantastic and they offer a choice of tailpipes to suit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220815_215355.jpg (136.4 KB, 22 views)
Mark Heappey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2022, 21:06   #3
malcolm the piano man
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Heappey View Post
Why not have a stainless steel exhaust fitted. Lifetime guarantee.
Had mine done by Tony Banks near Leeds. The guys are fantastic and they offer a choice of tailpipes to suit.
I had considered it as it looks like I shall be keeping the car. Does stainless work better on White Gold ones?

Old 15th August 2022, 21:15   #4
Mark Heappey
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer

Talking

Mine looks lovely when it's cleaned and polished. Think it goes fine with all the other chrome on the car

Last edited by Mark Heappey; 15th August 2022 at 21:17.. Reason: Added info
Mark Heappey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 07:11   #5
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

https://flic.kr/p/2nCFtfa

https://flic.kr/p/2nCFwU3

I had one fitted by Tony Banks to my diesel a couple of weeks ago. I wanted the tailpipes to show so I cut out the bumper to look like an MG. I'm very impressed, the car runs smoother than it's ever done, a bit livelier too. I like the polished tailpipes on my Rover. It's hard to see on these photos but the MG trim is also polished to a chrome finish, it's made of stainless, so a good sand with a wet and dry paper, then move onto metal polish will get a really shiny finish.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 17th August 2022 at 07:17..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 14:04   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm the piano man View Post
I had considered it as it looks like I shall be keeping the car. Does stainless work better on White Gold ones?

If you want to stay more or less OEM the tail pipes on a R75 V6 should be almost invisible as they are approx. 90 deg blowdown and tucked up partially inside/behind the rear bumper. I'd recommend a back box from DMGRS - mine is fitted to a saloon which is a straight switch, a Tourer might need a bit of extra pipe adding to the connection junction from the intermediate [cat. back] pipe - which is almost identical to the original Rover shape and pretty quiet, not cheap but pretty good quality. They are supplied with straight SS pipe trims (I think suitable for the MG6) so you have to remove these (they are just tack welded onto straight stub exit pipes from the box) and you can have a couple of suitable sized burnished SS blowdown trims (choice of 2-3 good UK suppliers on e-bay) welded in their place.
I think the DMGRS box is a grade of SS but DMGRS don't offer them on that basis - they are not plated/coated with anything and mine has been fitted since last autumn and there is not a sign of corrosion at all.

Last edited by rab60bit; 17th August 2022 at 14:09..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 15:07   #7
malcolm the piano man
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
If you want to stay more or less OEM the tail pipes on a R75 V6 should be almost invisible as they are approx. 90 deg blowdown and tucked up partially inside/behind the rear bumper. I'd recommend a back box from DMGRS - mine is fitted to a saloon which is a straight switch, a Tourer might need a bit of extra pipe adding to the connection junction from the intermediate [cat. back] pipe - which is almost identical to the original Rover shape and pretty quiet, not cheap but pretty good quality. They are supplied with straight SS pipe trims (I think suitable for the MG6) so you have to remove these (they are just tack welded onto straight stub exit pipes from the box) and you can have a couple of suitable sized burnished SS blowdown trims (choice of 2-3 good UK suppliers on e-bay) welded in their place.
I think the DMGRS box is a grade of SS but DMGRS don't offer them on that basis - they are not plated/coated with anything and mine has been fitted since last autumn and there is not a sign of corrosion at all.

Thanks. The exhaust that is on at the mo' is I believe the original and as you say has the 90 degree blowdown. Best price so far is £97.96 from Fleabay seller Clickcarparts which is actually SDL Minofern with whom I am quite happy to deal with. The exhaust they are selling is Klarius. What I am objecting to is why they are £30-40 more than a saloon.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191589301669
Old 18th August 2022, 17:34   #8
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

In my experience you want to be careful of exhausts for our cars on ebay that dont actually show a proper photo of the item you're thinking of buying.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote