Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th March 2023, 21:44   #1
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Default Mileage

I don't know if anyone has any interest in this but when I swapped out my original IPK with my second hand one, the mileage on the second hand one read something like 117000. Now I have reinstalled the original IPK it's showing the true mileage, which is around 87000.
Along with all the other things I don't know, I am guessing that this is a low(ish) mileage for a 22 year old car. I was also wondering what might happen at MOT time with the mileage being lower. I'm certainly never selling her so
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2023, 08:42   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I do not quite understand. The mileage is simply taken from the display and recorded as that.
I dont think any questions are asked if the mileage is lower than a previous MOT.

Are you saying an MOT was done with "117,000" showing, and now you have "87,000" showing? I think only a buyer or an insurance company would have a concern. The mileage difference will show on the MOT history.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2023, 09:00   #3
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Any mileage anomalies at MOT will show up on most car checking applications, and be flagged as a possible "problem".

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2023, 10:04   #4
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I do not quite understand. The mileage is simply taken from the display and recorded as that.
I dont think any questions are asked if the mileage is lower than a previous MOT.

Are you saying an MOT was done with "117,000" showing, and now you have "87,000" showing? I think only a buyer or an insurance company would have a concern. The mileage difference will show on the MOT history.

macafee2
Thank you. Yes, she had a second hand IPK with 117000 on it but the true mileage (from the light control module) is 87000 so when I put the original back in, that's what it is displaying. Happily the elapsed mileage no longer displays 'err'!

I was a little worried about the discrepancy with regard to the MOT, but if it's just going to be recorded as a difference, I'm happy with it. I was actually pleased to find the mileage significantly lower than the old IPK showed!

Dale
7. Bodywork repainted
Old 9th March 2023, 10:07   #5
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

I've just done a very rough calculation, and at 22 years old, the Raptor has done about 4,000 miles a year.
7. Bodywork repainted
Old 9th March 2023, 12:29   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie666 View Post
Thank you. Yes, she had a second hand IPK with 117000 on it but the true mileage (from the light control module) is 87000 so when I put the original back in, that's what it is displaying. Happily the elapsed mileage no longer displays 'err'!

I was a little worried about the discrepancy with regard to the MOT, but if it's just going to be recorded as a difference, I'm happy with it. I was actually pleased to find the mileage significantly lower than the old IPK showed!

Dale

The mot with the second hand ipk would show as 117,000,
the next mot with the original ipk will show 87,000.

you can have the mileage transferred from one set of clocks to the other but you will need someone with T4 to do it, I dont know about Toaf

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2023, 13:03   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I wouldn't advise this.

Your original instrument cluster is just showing the same mileage it was on when you last removed it. It doesn't resync the mileage with the LSM when you reinstall it.

The LSM only stores a back up of the mileage on the cluster every 100kms. It's just a back up, the cluster isn't taking the mileage from the LSM.

For example, if you remove a cluster at 85,000 miles, fit a different cluster and drive it for another 5000 miles. When you reinstall the original cluster that cluster will just show 85,000 miles again. It will not add on the 5000 miles you've driven with a different cluster fitted.

You'll also be getting the err message on the bottom trip display on the cluster due to a discrepancy between the IPK and LSM.

Big jumps in mileage in MOT history can flag up as an issue in vehicle checks, especially if the mileage goes down. I can imagine this may be an issue with your insurance company if they pick up on this.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2023, 13:54   #8
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Thank you Rick for such a thorough explanation ��. In my case the only issue will be the insurance company regarding the mileage. The only thing I can think of doing is to explain as you have done and reassure them that I will not be selling the car.
So the LSM doesn't have an accurate mileage stored? I was under a huge misapprehension ��
Sad thinking that she's higher mileage than I believed, but she's still not overused!
7. Bodywork repainted
Old 9th March 2023, 15:03   #9
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

That throws some doubt regarding the replacement of the recorder without a legitimate professional document of record? Although I suppose it only matters if a car is eventually to be sold.

My 75 (2002) has apparently done an average of 2,590 pa, with every MOT cert. plus service receipts for every year to confirm. Mind you it did belong, from new, to a solicitor's wife, who also is a solicitor.
Old 9th March 2023, 15:41   #10
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
That throws some doubt regarding the replacement of the recorder without a legitimate professional document of record? Although I suppose it only matters if a car is eventually to be sold.

My 75 (2002) has apparently done an average of 2,590 pa, with every MOT cert. plus service receipts for every year to confirm. Mind you it did belong, from new, to a solicitor's wife, who also is a solicitor.
Coming from an erroneous assumption, as I did, it has been a bit of a head scratcher trying to work out what the position is with regard to the car and her mileage.
As you say, likely not a problem as I'm not selling her. I have no idea if there is any kind of formal way to record the replacement of the IPK, and despite the mileage being held in different modules to presumably deter clocking, it seems that it is possible to 'adjust' the mileage by exchanging the IPK.
7. Bodywork repainted