Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th September 2012, 10:43   #11
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

What even more telling about that is that energy saving tyres are less grippy than the performance versions, which only reinforces how bad budgets are. In my experience virtually illegal Bridgestones were better in the wet than new budgets, which makes a mockery of the law on tread depth.

With regard to the Gerutti tyres ive not heard of them before and there are very few reviews out there. They are a Singaporean company, but little info is available about what end of the market they are aiming for.
Old 8th September 2012, 17:42   #12
Mark2000cc
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTI

My advice is to go with what you can afford mate.
Old 8th September 2012, 20:23   #13
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2000cc View Post
My advice is to go with what you can afford mate.
Well yes but some of these chinese tyres are truly terrible I wouldn't risk my life over a few pounds extra to buy a mid range tyre instead. Many after market car components from china are equally as bad too no proper QC at all and bad materials
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:58   #14
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

My take on budgets and the varied user feedback is that most motorists rarely exceed 50% of tyre grip capability in the dry, perhaps a tad higher % in the wet.
Given the above owner buys his budget set of Chinese brand tyres and writes somewhere they are great, any tyre will cope with this general style of driving. The only time they will use 100% of the tyre capability is in a emergency braking situation, in the dry they will get away with it, in the wet decidely touch and go.

Obviously more performance orientated drivers will push these percentages higher and some will push the boundaries.

I actually like driving in the wet, can invariably make up time on other cars. (Which is why i want to ditch my tyres soonest...)
I am sure i am not the only driver on here who cannot resist on a wet roundabout at modest speed seeing where understeer starts to set in etc.

Regards

Mark
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 11:16   #15
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
My take on budgets and the varied user feedback is that most motorists rarely exceed 50% of tyre grip capability in the dry, perhaps a tad higher % in the wet.
Given the above owner buys his budget set of Chinese brand tyres and writes somewhere they are great, any tyre will cope with this general style of driving. The only time they will use 100% of the tyre capability is in a emergency braking situation, in the dry they will get away with it, in the wet decidely touch and go.

Obviously more performance orientated drivers will push these percentages higher and some will push the boundaries.

I actually like driving in the wet, can invariably make up time on other cars. (Which is why i want to ditch my tyres soonest...)
I am sure i am not the only driver on here who cannot resist on a wet roundabout at modest speed seeing where understeer starts to set in etc.

Regards

Mark
I agree with this post 100%

Drivers with budget tyres who think they are as good as premium brands are fooling themselves - as they are almost certain never to have (yet) had an emergency in the wet.

I don't like this use of the term 'idiot drivers'.

Just wait until some kiddy runs into the road or a deer runs across at night. I know all about driving within the limits of the conditions but there are always situations where one may need to take avoiding action.

Who is the idiot then?

I run Continental ContiSport2s by the way, and if you've never tried a 'real' sports tyre you have no conception of what cutting-edge tyre-grip is like these days.

All these budget tyres are hard compounds and old technology.

Don't people wonder as to why they last forever?

You get what you pay for in this world and for me it's safety that matters.

Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote