Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th May 2020, 11:11   #1
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Brownie Points (How)

We are now approaching 8 weeks in lock down how have you guys /gals been earning your brownie points,

I have so far beginning in March jet washed all the patio slabs.

Which come up nice after the winter weather.

Then decided to give the kitchen cupboards a lift so changed the front doors and draw fronts, from the gloss white look to wood effect.

All doors were also fitted with new soft close hinges, so no more slamming of doors or leaving them open, as once you start to close them the hinge pulls it closed slowly

Stained the decking

The end of the month I may clean the roof tiles off which as some moss growing on them, front fence panels to stain, few pants to purchase and change round we did a couple yesterday

my bag is building up very nicely

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 11:54   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
We are now approaching 8 weeks in lock down how have you guys /gals been earning your brownie points,

I have so far beginning in March jet washed all the patio slabs.

Which come up nice after the winter weather.

Then decided to give the kitchen cupboards a lift so changed the front doors and draw fronts, from the gloss white look to wood effect.

All doors were also fitted with new soft close hinges, so no more slamming of doors or leaving them open, as once you start to close them the hinge pulls it closed slowly

Stained the decking

The end of the month I may clean the roof tiles off which as some moss growing on them, front fence panels to stain, few pants to purchase and change round we did a couple yesterday

my bag is building up very nicely
That's pretty darned impressive is that. I'd like to say I'd achieved similar - but I'd be lying. I have learned how to use the washing machine, empty it and peg out the contents on the washing line. The missus and I have set to to try and fit 60 years' worth of family photos into albums - currently in shoe boxes! - for the benefit of generations to come. It's a very thought provoking and at times emotional task, and has turned many an afternoon into an "all our yesterdays" session. We even managed to find some Polaroid Instant Camera snaps - which then sent me on a hunt for the actual camera, which is somewhere in the loft.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 12:00   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
That's pretty darned impressive is that. I'd like to say I'd achieved similar - but I'd be lying. I have learned how to use the washing machine, empty it and peg out the contents on the washing line. The missus and I have set to to try and fit 60 years' worth of family photos into albums - currently in shoe boxes! - for the benefit of generations to come. It's a very thought provoking and at times emotional task, and has turned many an afternoon into an "all our yesterdays" session. We even managed to find some Polaroid Instant Camera snaps - which then sent me on a hunt for the actual camera, which is somewhere in the loft.
Hi Rod.
making albums is very time consuming, i am myself processing over 20,000 photos at the moment into different albums with names etc, putting them on out side hard drives and usb sticks etc, i try and do a few each night when i will finish is how long is a piece of string, good luck anyways.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 17th May 2020, 13:55   #4
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's strange how the tasks we voluntarily undertake give us the most pleasure.

I'm doing a similar thing, intended to be in date order, and came across, to us, a wonderful picture of our two lovelies on a rare visit to my early home.

The park at the top of Heath Road in Runcorn, that was the scene of some of my, er, youthful amorous adventures in my very early days.

Photo is from 1969, some 8 years after I left for the bright lights. From the left, Danielle and Beverly. The hand on the tiller? Celia.
I love lockdown.

Last edited by wraymond; 17th May 2020 at 14:00..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 16:32   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Anyone using a pressure washer to clean a patio, path or similar you must wear a mask for breathing.

I cannot recall the danger but something to do with spores getting into your lungs from the fine spray.

ps, well done Arctic

mavafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 03:39   #6
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Anyone using a pressure washer to clean a patio, path or similar you must wear a mask for breathing.

I cannot recall the danger but something to do with spores getting into your lungs from the fine spray.

ps, well done Arctic

mavafee2
Ditto on the PS...

All we’ve done is decorate the whole house internally (except the kitchen which was new just before Christmas), clean patio, repair carport roof beams and clean its roof, wash rear soffits and gutters, repair/re-tension garage door. And sort out my toolboxes!!

Mrs B has also made quite a few scrubs, and dozens of scrubs bags for local hospitals. Apart from that we’ve been taking things easy.

By the way, I was advised against using a power washer on roof tiles, as (it was claimed) it would increase/introduce porosity, and it was better just to scrape them. Old wives’ tale maybe?

Last edited by baxlin; 18th May 2020 at 03:45..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 23:34   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Ditto on the PS...

All we’ve done is decorate the whole house internally (except the kitchen which was new just before Christmas), clean patio, repair carport roof beams and clean its roof, wash rear soffits and gutters, repair/re-tension garage door. And sort out my toolboxes!!

Mrs B has also made quite a few scrubs, and dozens of scrubs bags for local hospitals. Apart from that we’ve been taking things easy.

Quote:
By the way, I was advised against using a power washer on roof tiles, as (it was claimed) it would increase/introduce porosity, and it was better just to scrape them. Old wives’ tale maybe?
I Have used both methods in the past, the jet wash does not need to be on the most powerful spray, also good to sprinkle moss killer over it after.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 29th June 2020, 19:25   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default More Points.

I have added a few more points into the pot over the last week or so.

First was treating the front fence panel sections.

Remove the wooden section.

Treat and stain the log effect section.

Each section sorted now for the next 12months or more.

My next project was to remove the decking retaining edge for the gravel on the front garden.
4a

I removed each section at a time in the cool summer evening

Each section went down smoothly.

The rope edge will last a long time, i should have fitted them when i did the front garden about 5 years ago really.

Last job add some sharp sand to the slabs etc to fill in between the joints, i will let it dry off a few days and then add some more

ad altiora tendo.

Old 2nd July 2020, 17:18   #9
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

All looks to be a good job done there.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:21   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Ditto on the PS...

It's possible to spray on a clear sealant after you have cleaned them. Harder for them to discolour afterwards too.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote