Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd July 2020, 17:12   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default builder or tradesmen

when it comes to building and I'm thinking a garage are you cost wise, better to get a builder to do the lot or individual tradesmen
if all do their work to spec?
foundations, concrete floor, brick layer, chippy, roofer, sparks?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:39   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
when it comes to building and I'm thinking a garage are you cost wise, better to get a builder to do the lot or individual tradesmen
if all do their work to spec?
foundations, concrete floor, brick layer, chippy, roofer, sparks?

macafee2
Don't get the cowboys in in my advice Ian, just look at this abortion thrown up opposite me

I'm going to set out the foundations on my new workshop, then employ a brickie to build the walls, and once they're up I'll order the roof trusses and tiles to finish off the top end.

As to your question, get some quotes and see what they say, a lot of builders simply are not interested in small jobs unfortunately, and more importantly get the names of previous customers who have had work done and are happy for you to talk to them.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof.jpg (126.3 KB, 99 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:53   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Just curious Brian. You say abortion. Any chance you could be just a bit more specific ??----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:06   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Further to the above post.

I used to run a variety of building sites before retirement.

Below is a pic of one of the sites I was in charge of as site manager. An estate of 40 houses. The drawings I was given were for houses on a level field.

I personally changed the foundations and added extra features to accommodate those changes.

That's what made me curious about your observations on that garage.

PS. Plus it's got a ROVER in it. Lol.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aller Park, Newton Abbot, Devon..jpg (119.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:33   #5
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Don't get the cowboys in in my advice Ian, just look at this abortion thrown up opposite me

I'm going to set out the foundations on my new workshop, then employ a brickie to build the walls, and once they're up I'll order the roof trusses and tiles to finish off the top end.

As to your question, get some quotes and see what they say, a lot of builders simply are not interested in small jobs unfortunately, and more importantly get the names of previous customers who have had work done and are happy for you to talk to them.

Brian

The big question is though Brian, have you moved all those bricks yet?

Stan
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:24   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Further to the above post.

I used to run a variety of building sites before retirement.

Below is a pic of one of the sites I was in charge of as site manager. An estate of 40 houses. The drawings I was given were for houses on a level field.

I personally changed the foundations and added extra features to accommodate those changes.

That's what made me curious about your observations on that garage.

PS. Plus it's got a ROVER in it. Lol.

I don't know where to start really Jon, the brickwork is ropey, the headlap on the tiles is wrong, the walls are not parallel to one another, nor perpendicular, the roof trusses are not in line with one another, and the bottom row of tiles has no tilting fillet plus the membrane runs underneath the (non treated) tiling battons.

There was a parapet wall between the two garages with capping on, this was removed but the last courses were not, so the roof intersects the remains of the parapet which has some sort of sticky flashing like flashband stuck to the membrane, and a big gap at the end of the tiles.

Apart from anything else the bottom tile batten isn't parallel with the eaves so as a result the tiles run off at an angle, which can be seen at the verges where no undercloak was used, dry verge nailed to a wooden lath nailed to the compo at the top of the brickwork.

The gutter runs uphill to both sides of the downcomer, which has been run around the corner

A quality job, you bet

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:52   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanks Brian. Difficult to see all that from the pic.---

To the OP. Most of the work building a garage is fairly easy if you have reasonable building skills. If not then you might be able to tackle the floor slab yourself and even the simple electrics but you'll need the other three trades to complete the job.----

Look at their previous work though and don't take any chances.---Good luck with it.

With any job quality control by yourself is ESSENTIAL to nip any errors in the bud.

PS. Tiling battens. The membrane has to have the battens on top so that the hooks on the roof tiles can fix on to them.

The angle of the roof determines if tilting fillets are required.

The wall plate that the gang-nailed roof trusses sits on must also be fixed down to the garage walls by wall straps.

As they say in the trade the work needs a good coat of looking at.--Lol.

Last edited by COLVERT; 3rd July 2020 at 13:03..
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:37   #8
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I agree.

Quote:

To the OP. Most of the work building a garage is fairly easy if you have reasonable building skills. If not then you might be able to tackle the floor slab yourself and even the simple electrics but you'll need the other three trades to complete the job.----

Look at their previous work though and don't take any chances.---Good luck with it.

With any job quality control by yourself is ESSENTIAL to nip any errors in the bud.

PS. Tiling battens. The membrane has to have the battens on top so that the hooks on the roof tiles can fix on to them.

The wall plate that the gang-nailed roof trusses sits on must also be fixed down to the garage walls by wall straps.

I'm not a builder but I put this up ten years ago, a lot of the work is common sense. If you have enough confidence to mend a car then I reckon you are good enough to do most things, this cost me £3,500 in materials but prices for stuff are much higher now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02 - Copy.jpg (145.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 076 - Copy.jpg (136.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 129 - Copy.jpg (79.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 144 - Copy.jpg (138.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 150 - Copy.jpg (137.7 KB, 29 views)
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:16   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:

brick work is beyond me and I don't think I have the skills for the roof.
As for electrics, yes I could do them but I'd like them certified. The slab, worried I'd get it wrong and it would bend and crack.
I have these ideas going around in my head, I can go 4 meters vertical without planning permission but I think I'd like a lift and so with the depth and width of the garage I may need more the 4 meters in height for the slope of the roof. I'd also like a loft that I can stand up in.
This may be my one chance to have a very big garage with a "workshop" attached. Workshop would have my lathe, shot blaster and compressor, work benches benches and I think I'd get some new toys such as a pillar drill.

I would be at home every day so can try to keep an eye on things.

could all be pie in the sky but I'd like to be prepared

macafee2
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:18   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I'm not a builder but I put this up ten years ago, a lot of the work is common sense. If you have enough confidence to mend a car then I reckon you are good enough to do most things, this cost me £3,500 in materials but prices for stuff are much higher now.
Better then I could do, well done.
I'm good with nuts and bolts

macafee2