Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 3rd July 2020, 08:47   #161
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question

Why so? ... Click ... what is ADE Induction?
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:27   #162
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

The flu, SARS and MERS are all caused by coronaviruses, and I'd definitely say they caused an issue!

All you've said is that vaccines are available for the animal variants of these viruses - which doesn't change my point that there are no human vaccines available.
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:42   #163
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Really? The flu, SARS and MERS are all caused by coronaviruses, and I'd definitely say they caused an issue!

All you've said is that vaccines are available for the animal variants of these viruses - which doesn't change my point that there are no human vaccines available.
what of the flu vaccine used to reduce the effects and risk, that is recommended annually for those vulnerable to coronaviruses? Or do you mean a cure?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 3rd July 2020 at 09:50..
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:22   #164
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Default More numbers that just don't add up.

Just taken a look at the published numbers for test results. And they don't make sense given the wider picture of hysteria and panic.

As of 9am on 2 July the uk has conducted 9,914,663 tests (9.9 million). 283,757 have given positive results. Now, given that those tests more recently conducted (past 6-8 weeks) do include routine tests of NHS staff especially (i.e. people without symptoms) you may expect that the number of positive results would start to move towards the figure in the wider population whether symptomatic or asymptomatic. That is to say how widespread the virus is across the population. So the positive results represent 2.86% of the population. That is all. Now forgive me for being sceptical but at once we're told that this a virus to be feared for it's potential to spread like wildfire. So either that's untrue or the actions taken have been extraordinairily effective. But that still doesn't gel. By any analysis of the spread of Covid-19 in the UK it's clear that there multiple carriers (thousands) in the country by the start of the year. Had that been true, and the virulence as much as advertised then that figure of 2.83% is extraordinairily low given that there was no 'lockdown' until the end of March. The only explanation I can find is that it's already burned itself out in the asymptomatic population. To put that bluntly, As a population many more of us than 2.83% must have already had it and defeated it. Some with barely being aware of it.

Or am I wrong? ... discuss...

[figures source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...or-the-public]

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:43   #165
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Just taken a look at the published numbers for test results. And they don't make sense given the wider picture of hysteria and panic.

As of 9am on 2 July the uk has conducted 9,914,663 tests (9.9 million). 283,757 have given positive results. Now, given that those tests more recently conducted (past 6-8 weeks) do include routine tests of NHS staff especially (i.e. people without symptoms) you may expect that the number of positive results would start to move towards the figure in the wider population whether symptomatic or asymptomatic. That is to say how widespread the virus is across the population. So the positive results represent 2.86% of the population. That is all. Now forgive me for being sceptical but at once we're told that this a virus to be feared for it's potential to spread like wildfire. So either that's untrue or the actions taken have been extraordinairily effective. But that still doesn't gel. By any analysis of the spread of Covid-19 in the UK it's clear that there multiple carriers (thousands) in the country by the start of the year. Had that been true, and the virulence as much as advertised then that figure of 2.83% is extraordinairily low given that there was no 'lockdown' until the end of March. The only explanation I can find is that it's already burned itself out in the asymptomatic population. To put that bluntly, As a population many more of us than 2.83% must have already had it and defeated it. Some with barely being aware of it.

Or am I wrong? ... discuss...

[figures source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...or-the-public]
I havent looked at the figures, but you cannot use the tests conducted as an indicator of the population. The tests are only for those vulnerable (as I understand it). There are those who will contract the virus and their bodies (or should that be antibodies lol) will be able to deal or control it.

Those who are not vulnerable are the majority, so the numbers infected will be higher. How much higher I do not know. If you take it that some of those, let's round it off to 10million tests are repeat tests. Just making up the numbers to make the point here, say, 4 million are repeat tests, that means 6 million are individuals. Of those 6 million, how many are NHS staff? How many vulnerable? How many are shielding for the vulnerable? Let's say that 4 of the 6 million are vulnerable to succumbing to the virus, that means your 2.85% becomes 7 point something per cent, will be in danger.

BUT that is STILL not the full picture because it is STILL not indicative of the population.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:47   #166
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I havent looked at the figures, but you cannot use the tests conducted as an indicator of the population. The tests are only for those vulnerable (as I understand it). There are those who will contract the virus and their bodies (or should that be antibodies lol) will be able to deal or control it.

Those who are not vulnerable are the majority, so the numbers infected will be higher. How much higher I do not know. If you take it that some of those, let's round it off to 10million tests are repeat tests. Just making up the numbers to make the point here, say, 4 million are repeat tests, that means 6 million are individuals. Of those 6 million, how many are NHS staff? How many vulnerable? How many are shielding for the vulnerable? Let's say that 4 of the 6 million are vulnerable to succumbing to the virus, that means your 2.85% becomes 7 point something per cent, will be in danger.

BUT that is STILL not the full picture because it is STILL not indicative of the population.

What logic leads you to the highlighted conclusion you've come to above?

I guess you didn't actually read what I wrote

Quote:
... do include routine tests of NHS staff especially (i.e. people without symptoms)...

There's been much greater generalised testing in the last month, and still the rate of +ve results is reassuringly low. So, as I said there are TWO possiblities; either 'lockdown' has been wildly successful against a highly virulent strain (but that theory doesn't hold water due to the lateness of the UK lockdown), or it's already burnt itself out. Only accurate testing to see who has had it will tell with any degree of certainty, and that will rest on the accuracy of the tests themselves. Clearly only a low percentage actually do have it at any one time.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:50   #167
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Another 136 deaths announced today, would be interesting to know where these were infected, when infected and how long they had been ill for, as well as any underlying health issues.
Old 4th July 2020, 10:19   #168
Borg Warner

None

From 11:06:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews

Last edited by Borg Warner; 4th July 2020 at 10:23..
Old 4th July 2020, 10:52   #169
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

There must be far more of the population who have had the disease than the figures show.

An example of the discrepancy in official figures is the nursing home where my wife works. Figures show that 4 of the staff have had a positive test. In reality there are around 24 staff employed and with 18 residents passing away in the last 6 weeks and all featuring C-19 as present at time of death it is simply unrealistic to say only 4 of the staff contracted C-19.

As yet no antibody tests have been offered despite the government claims they are priority.

Another theory is T cell Immunity which one study suggests that up to 30% of the population are immune ( but that was on Breakfast TV)

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 4th July 2020, 15:25   #170
Borg Warner

None

Leicester's not the only place in a new lockdown:

https://www.thelocal.es/20200704/cat...virus-lockdown

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-04/...00-people-live

Wonder if folks will still be clamouring to fly out there?

There is no doubt that this is virus is not going away.
Closed Thread