Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2014, 23:23   #31
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

You can feed big cable through bulkhead.
As mentioned there is a hole and grommet behind steering wheel that is accessible by removing the plenum cover to the left of the wiper motor.

I didn't want to run across the engine bay though as I did a battery to boot conversion so I made a new hole feed by removing the ecu and pollen filter. It then allows to feed through behind passenger footwell fusebox.
Easy run then into the boot.

I have seen a car begin smoking as the cable melted that was misfitted so I am overly safety concious these days.

So long as fused, it should be fine whatever you use if done correctly but for me if you are going to do a job, do it right, do it once and forget about it.

hth
g
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 11:14   #32
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Well... it's done. And it's ridiculous how easy it was.... The 75 keeps surprising me how easy it can be to work on a car.

Here is what I did today (in total it took me just over 3 hours, and most that time I spent searching for a lost screw...)

First I searched for the hole people mentioned in the bulkhead. But I couldn't really find anything. It could be that some things are on the other side then the UK cars, but I still couldn't find an easy entrance.
Then I looked at the cable to pop the bonnet and I realised that that has to go in the car somewhere. Just next to the wiper motor, where the cable goes into the car (mine is LHD remember) there was a little grommet. I think this is the one you guys where talking about. So I took some electrical wire with a solid core (using this to pull the power cable through) and pushed it through. Then I checked under the steering wheel and I could already see the wire. So I removed the interior part underneath the steering wheel (screws at the bottom) and pulled the wire through.Because I also need to run an audio wire and the remote wire to the back, I decided to run everything from the middle console to the back. So I pushed the wire through a small hole in into the compartment with the radio/ac etc.
I took out the radio/ac/ashtray and taped up all the wires together and fed them down into a small opening towards the gearshift. Kept pushing and I saw it appear underneath the handbrake.
I removed the screws of the middle console (push the seat down and you'll see them), removed the ashtray in the back and undid the bolts.
Then I want onto the back seat. I read somewhere that some cars have a cord hidden underneath the back seats to release the back. Keeping my fingers crossed, I searched for it. And found it . I pulled the back forward, by doing this I must have pressed/puched something because the backseats came loose. After a bit of gentle pulling they came right out. (this is gonna make replacing the parcel shelf a lot easier...)

I then used a big plastic stick to push underneath the carpet right under the back seat and lifted it up a bit. Then I pushed it further in, and inch by inch I lifted up the carpet in the middle. I took some solid core electric wire and fed it through from the back seat towards the front, and it popped out just behind the bolts behind the rear-ashtray.
I then connected the wire to the electrical wires and pulled them right though.

Then it was just a matter of putting back the seats and the back, putting the bolts and screws back in their place for the console and putting the radio/ac etc back in.

Only 2 downsides....
By searching for the grommet I tried to pull away a bit of the plastic underneath the window.... and I lost it. I also lost 1 screw for the radio... (the brass-looking screw in the top of the radio).

So, my next question is going to be: can anybody help me with a screw for the radio and one of those clips for the plastic strip underneath the front window...??

I also did the wires for the rear camera, with power from the rear-light.
Next thing will be to install the right fuse for the amp and connect the wire to the battery. Then it's just a matter of waiting until I have enough money to buy the radio+camera I want from Radioguy.

I'm not gonna do the parking sensors today, because apparantly, they don't sell 27cm drills. They have 25, 26 and 28, but no 27....